Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is irritating me! I want to replace the horn on my 2004 400, and I've bought a replacement horn and everything. I expected to just look under the front of the bike, spot the stock horn, pull it off and mount the new one.

I can't see the stock horn! Where is it hiding? On other bike I've owned the horn has been right above the radiator.

Simon

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Look at the bike in front of where your right foot rests in the forward position. There are a few horizontal slits in the Burgman tupperware. The horn is right behind those horizontal slits. The image below show the horn behind the tupperware :

http://tfic.com/v-web/gallery/albums/Bu ... .sized.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you're right, I can see it. So close, yet so far...

Anybody want to recommend any strategies? Try to get the plastic off and install the new horn in the old location? Leave the stock horn in place and mount the new one behind the headlights?

The first strategy involves trying to figure out how to remove the plastic. The second involves identifying the wires which run to the horn and hijacking them.

I'm open to suggestions.

Simon

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I would go with option 1
Try to get the plastic off and install the new horn in the old location?
Two reason come to mind, it will most likely be a neater job, and you should know how to remove the plastic and replace it anyway. Even if you don't do your own wrenching.
But since your putting in a horn I guess (maybe) you do :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Randy, that's what I'm in the middle of. I figured I needed to get the plastic off to get to the wires anyway.

The trick was figuring out the plastic body fasteners. I broke the first one, because I just pried it out. :oops: But then I played with it and figured it out. To everyone out there: the trick is to use a punch to tap the little inner circle on the cap inwards. So when you are looking at the fastener and see the outer ring and the inner circle, punch the inner circle inwards (you don't have to kill it), and then you can just slide the fastener out.

I have now removed the old horn and am contemplating the installation of the new one. It's compact, but just a little larger than the old one. Going to take a picture or two.

Simon

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
If the new horn will fit in the space, I'd go with replacement of the stock horn. Else, you may have to resort to option 2.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Success!

It's done. I have installed the horn, and it's working great! 8) I'm assembing some photos that I took and I will be posting them ASAP. In the end, the new horn wouldn't fit in the same spot as the original. It was close, but not close enough. I installed it a few inches further back in the bike, next to the gas tank, with the "horn" pointing forward and down. There was quite a bit of room there, I probably could have gone for the dual-trumpet air horns! :D

When all was said and done, I re-installed the stock horn (not hooked up), since I won't end up losing it if it's still bolted to the bike!

Simon

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Now you can take that bumper sticker off the back of your scooter that says,
"Horn broken, watch for finger"
:D

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Simon. I may add the same horn to my 400. Hate the wimpy sounding buzzer that they call a horn on the 400.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
And if you don't mind, what did you pay for the replacement horn and where did you purchase it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pauljo said:
Good job, Simon! Thanks for taking the pics. I should probably do something about the horn on my 650 too. Are you satisfied with the sound of the 130 db Fiamm?
The sound is louder than stock, by far. I had a choice of a couple of different tones, and I took a high one (claims to be an E, but I haven't taken my electronic tuner out there... :wink: ) I have a history of installing aftermarket horns: I have a dual-trumpet air horn installed in my Subaru. This one is a single tone, and about as loud. I think that the single tone isn't as noticeable as a dual-tone, but I don't have automotive-type space to work with here.

What spurred this on was a driver who decided to change lanes beside me on my commute last week. I braked and beeped the stock horn, and I don't think the driver even heard it.

They'll definitely hear the new one! :twisted:

Simon

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
billmeek said:
And if you don't mind, what did you pay for the replacement horn and where did you purchase it?
$26.99 (Canadian) at Canadian Tire. I don't imagine you have one of those near you... I'm pretty sure you should be able to get something at Pep Boys or whatnot.

Ignoring the pain of removing the plastic and the challenge of figuring out where to put it, installation was simple. The horn plugged right into the stock wiring harness.

Simon

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Hey Simon you wouldnt happen to have the box still with the old part number on it would you? I think I will run over to Canadian Tire and pick one up for my 650.

I had an experience very similar to yours last fall.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Thanks Simon.
I think I'll get one too.
Don't like wimpy horns.
3 Canadian tire stores close to me

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
allwalk said:
Hey Simon you wouldnt happen to have the box still with the old part number on it would you? I think I will run over to Canadian Tire and pick one up for my 650.snipped
So, now, Allan we'll be getting a pictorial on installing this horn on the 650s I hope. :)
Where is the horn on the 650?
Same location? Same horn or biggie sized? :wink:

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts