Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure this topic has probably come up before, but when I tried to do a search for name, well, you can guess how many thousands of posts that search returned. And I've got to get some work done sometime!

So, does anybody know how the Burgman got its name? My guesses since I've bought mine have been that it was named after its designer or one of the engineers at Suzuki, but I really want to know the truth.

thanks,
Patty

·
Registered
572 Posts
This was posted on page 6 of the "What's Your Burgman's Name?" thread:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... ght=#45312

MichaelMcMike said:
MoinMoin!
You all know, that our Burgman AN650 is named in Japan "Sky Wave".
I heard just a day ago another story, why Burgman is called Burgman:

The head of Suzuki’s chrome lettering department was once a German woman by the name of Hildegard Dunhuber. A few years ago, her father died in a tragic Oktoberfest accident. When she returned from the funeral, Frau Dunhuber was determined to do something in memory of her dad.

In the final stage of the North American scooter prototype development, she snuck into the studio and changed the letters from “Sky wave” to “Burgman”...her maiden name. She lost her job but the name stuck.

Hmm... by the way, please check also here, if you are interested about the name BURGMAN: Burgman Family Crest on houseofnames.com
Best regards
Mike
And I only know this because I just read it last week :).

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Patty said:
...My guesses since I've bought mine have been that it was named after its designer or one of the engineers at Suzuki, but I really want to know the truth.
The designers are Japanese, and the name Burgman (spelled the way it is) is Swedish. There's a similar name in German, Burgmann with two ens.

In Japan the Burgmans are called Skywaves, but their marketing gurus must have felt that sounded too "foreign" for the non-Asian market.

Where the name came from is a secret only they know.

I hope everyone knows that the story posted by MichaelMcMike is a joke.
(And that there's no such thing as a "Family Crest." ;) )

·
Registered
719 Posts
Stargazer said:
This was posted on page 6 of the "What's Your Burgman's Name?" thread:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... ght=#45312

MichaelMcMike said:
MoinMoin!
You all know, that our Burgman AN650 is named in Japan "Sky Wave".
I heard just a day ago another story, why Burgman is called Burgman:

The head of Suzuki’s chrome lettering department was once a German woman by the name of Hildegard Dunhuber. A few years ago, her father died in a tragic Oktoberfest accident. When she returned from the funeral, Frau Dunhuber was determined to do something in memory of her dad.

In the final stage of the North American scooter prototype development, she snuck into the studio and changed the letters from “Sky wave” to “Burgman”...her maiden name. She lost her job but the name stuck.
Best regards
Mike
And I only know this because I just read it last week :).
Actually it was first posted Here in September of '04. So, unless Mike and the person he "heard" it from both have photographic memories, he copied it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It's just anglicized spelling for a Janpanese word meaning "Man who rides Moped".

:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
mupp said:
I thought it was just a play on words - the Burgman was originally designed for European cities and the word Burg means city, hence "city man"?
True dat.
It's a common marketing schtick for the Japanese. Just as they named the "Walkman" the "Pokemon" and "Game Boy", thusly the Burgman. I'd have liked the Sky Wave just the same.

A rose by any other name,
dave B.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts