Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was very glad to see that this forum exists.

Ok, here's my history: A friend of mine had some back problems and gave me a really good deal on his burgman 650. While I used to work on cars and trucks a little back in high school (20+ years ago), I don't anymore. So, after reading my manual for my AN650 it says that I should check the scooter before I go out. So, if there ever were a good time to start getting back into minor repairs and stuff, now would be that time. So, is there a way of checking the oil without taking off layers of plastic (or does pretty much everything besides filling with gas require peeling away the plastic layers)?

Thanks all,

·
Registered
426 Posts
No plastic (often referred to as tupperware on the forums) removal required. Put scoot on centre stand, get down on hands and knees on LHS of scoot. Look from the LHS towards underneath section facing what would be the lower section of the engine, near the mounting for the side stand, just by the floor board cutaway (so looking from side between side stand and centre stand) you should see the oil level window... easy as that. To fill oil or radiator reservoir, requires removal of the plastic engine cover often referred to as the "hump" or "tunnel" where one steps through. That plastic cover/shroud requires removing one PK/Phillips screw, then follow the plastic cover/shroud edge down each side to where it meets the edge of the floorboards, see the small indentation there, carefully pull the cover/shroud out. Kind of easiest to do this to each side, then prise apart and lift in one sequence then pull back toward the seat direction. It takes a little technique development... hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent, thanks Bikerdoc.

Now here's my next question: What is the proper way to put the scooter on the center stand. I can legpress a fair amount at the gym, but trying to get it on the center stand defeated me. My first several attempts were seated on the bike with one foot on the center stand part and the other on the ground. That didn't work. My other attempts were on the side, with one foot on the stand and the other on the ground. I tried lifting, using the rail in the back. It just about fell over on the other side. I have to be missing something. It can't be as hard as I'm making it. How do you put it on its center stand?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Excellent, thanks Bikerdoc.

Now here's my next question: What is the proper way to put the scooter on the center stand. I can legpress a fair amount at the gym, but trying to get it on the center stand defeated me. My first several attempts were seated on the bike with one foot on the center stand part and the other on the ground. That didn't work. My other attempts were on the side, with one foot on the stand and the other on the ground. I tried lifting, using the rail in the back. It just about fell over on the other side. I have to be missing something. It can't be as hard as I'm making it. How do you put it on its center stand?

100 lbs woman do this, it easy.

Center stand must be place even on both stand leg, take passenger handle with one hand, and step on center stand lift arm, let weight and little pressure do job.

Not forget to remove hand brake before or this become very difficult to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts