Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my new 650 I'm considering getting an extended warranty, I didn't get it at the dealer when I picked up the bike because they wanted $1000 for it.

Where did you get your extended warranty and how much was it?

·
Registered
739 Posts
At the dealer..3 years.. on top of the 1 year standard.. $650 or something like that.. Why would you get one somewhere else? I would rather have a Suzuki direct deal than an intermediary..Something happens, I talk to the dealer..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Extended warranties on new products are probably THE most -often purchased and least-often used expense in any purchase. Save the $1000 and put it toward a real expense if one shows up; otherwise use it on something you really WANT.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

·
Administrator
18,336 Posts
malahy1501 said:
http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/cycle/suzuki-sepp/

Scroll down to your engine size and length desired...less than $500 for a 60 Month genuine Suzuki extended Warranty (SEPP)

Bill
But check with your state. Each state has different reg's and I think Florida requires you buy the warranty IN STATE.

OP is in NY and I have no clue how or what is required there.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
But check with your state. Each state has different reg's and I think Florida requires you buy the warranty IN STATE.

OP is in NY and I have no clue how or what is required there.
I am pretty sure that Florida is the only state with any kind of restrictions...but since OP lives in NY and Oneida Suzuki is in NY, even if NY was "wacko" like Florida...would seem to be no problem :wink:

Bill

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got mine with the dealer, getting the extended warranty it's like an insurance policy, will never know when you will need it. Mine expired back in Aug. I have had to use (3) different time, with (2) of them past the date, since I had been trying to find the problem, before the end date it cost $600.00 but the repairs to the bike was someone near the tune of $2000.00.

Something you gotta decide, also I would always go through the dealer, it will go a lot easier when dealing with there Ext warranty companys, so far it has worked out for me.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The "wacko" Florida law only states that companies providing extended warranty coverage be registered with the Florida Department of State, and that the policy be purchased via an agent doing business in the State--so that they are subject to Florida Statute and supervision of the Florida Insurance Commissioner.

This provides consumers protection from companies operating out of other states and therefore not subject to Florida law or control. I.e. if "it" should hit the fan you can take the SOBs to a Florida court, not some kangaroo court in the Cayman Islands...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
BARGAIN with them WHEN you buy the bike. The warrenty is a BIG profit item & if they need to make the sale you can knock off quite a bit. Go in the middle of the Winter & get a deal on the bike & the warrenty. I got the extended warrenty for NOTHING on my Majesty. I only had to use it twice & the total would have been less that the normal price of the warrenty.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
You live in New York, not Florida, so the SEPP can be purchased anywhere. Oneida Suzuki has the best prices around. Since it is a Suzuki plan, not a dealer's plan, you can buy it from Oneida Suzuki and it is backed at any Suzuki dealership in the USA (except in Florida). Here's a link to their 72 month plan (which uses 12 months of the factory warranty). http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts ... month.html

With a 400, my personal opinion is that it is debatable as to whether to get it or not. The cost of most items that die on the bike is low both in frequency and cost.

With a 650, I wouldn't think of buying one without the SEPP. There's nothing saying that your 650 will ever have a problem, but the cost as LeDude put it of a CVT failure and repair, makes the 650 a "throw-away" bike...unless you have the SEPP...or the ability to tear it apart — and get it together — yourself.

I'd just consider the 72 month SEPP as part of the purchase cost and buy it before the year is over, so you can enjoy the bike with peace of mind.

Chris

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
But as LeDude mentioned in his thread, that Suzuki may not cover the belt as natural wear and tear....

·
Registered
368 Posts
I did not get the SEPP when I bought my current Burg400 - decided to take a chance. If I were to buy another Suzuki and to buy a SEPP, it would be through Oneida Suzuki.

When I bought my first Burg 400, I purchased the SEPP thru the dealership. Months later, I traded in the Burg and then learned that the dealer had never submitted the extended warranty documents to Suzuki USA but had kept my money. After a lot of hassle with the dealer, I finally got a full refund.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I got mine through the dealers, for 60 month on a 650 it cost $699.

This is a recent transaction, so can be considered current for FL.

·
Registered
22 Posts
malahy1501 said:
http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/cycle/suzuki-sepp/

Scroll down to your engine size and length desired...less than $500 for a 60 Month genuine Suzuki extended Warranty (SEPP)

Bill
I'd second the choice of Oneida. I recently bought a 650 and my local dealer wanted $950 for a 3yr, including the 1yr the bike came with. In other words, they wanted $950 to extend my warranty by two years. They wanted $1450 to extend it by three years (for a total of 4yrs of warranty). After negotiating with the dealer, they agreed to charge only $1000 to add 3yrs to my 1yr. Needless to say, I didn't buy it from them. When your local dealer is trying to screw you that bad, I don't believe is supporting your local dealer. Oneida wants about $589 for 72 months (including the standard 1yr). Seems like a no brainer to me.

Mike

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
As a post note CA and maybe other states, florida oes too, has a state laws that allow canceling a extended warranty within 60 days

I did that because I found out about the Oneidasuzuki site after I purchased they wanted 799 for 36 months!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts