Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I think I recall reading somewhere that its origin starts in the German language. It loosely translates to Urban commuter. Sounds good anyways :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
The name "Burgman" in German

After 10 years in Germany, I learned enough German as how to order good beer and ask for the "Toiletten" in German. Seriously, the word "Burg" means Mountain in a litteral translation of German. The word "man" would have been spelled with 2 n's, "mann". So it would be "Burgmann". Probably is an adaption of German though and I like to think it really does mean "Mountain Man". Seems appropriate to me.
I am picking up my 04-400 Scoot this Saturday. Having a hard time waiting.
Brian
the InsurancesGuy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Saturday also

Brian,

I'm also picking up my new Burgman this Saturday, only it's an 03 AN650. Can't wait, as the last week here in Richmond has been like spriing!

Enjoy the ride.

-Greg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Woher kommt eigentlich der Name: "Burgman"

Hi folks !

As a member of the german AN650-forum I can tell you: we were discussing the same question a while ago.

We found the following answer:

The first part of the name >Burg< means a building from the middleage, 1300 - 1600 a.d. A >Burg< ist a old castle, mostly standing on the top of hills. You will find still some, when you travel along the german rivers Mosel or Rhein.
The second part is like the german >Mann< which means in english man.

So the name ist addicted to a man, who lives in a castle.

I hope you can understand my english and I made only a few mistakes.

Greetings from Germany

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bow my skills to the Deutchman!

We also had a lively discussion ref "Burg" and the translation. I was right saying I thought it meant castle, but overpowered by those near and dear to me. So, Burg means old castle, like Heidelburg, Rothenburg, Wurzburg, etc. Thanks for keeping us straight!!!

I am in Stafford, VA just about 60 miles up I95 from Richmond! This spring weather is driving me crazy too! Best of luck with your 650 on Saturday !

:lol:

Brian
the InsurancesGuy

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for the input German Rider -- I've heard all kinds of translations, it's nice to hear it directly from a German himself!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I don't remember where I read it, but I recall some months ago reading that Suzuki just invented the word because they thought it sounded like some kind of macho city-commuter. :?

(I think the name's a little silly, myself. :wink: )

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quote from - http://www.amadirectlink.com/features/s ... zuki03.asp

New Models: Burgman 400/650
Suzuki also rolled out two new scooters to their lineup—the Burgman 400 and 650. Suzuki reps say the name "Burgman" came from a combination of the German word for city or town, "burg," and man. The name, therefore, is supposed to evoke feelings of some kind of urbanite transporter

Greg ...

·
Registered
409 Posts
We all know that in Japan it is called the Skywave. In North America, a top Suzuki exec. who was in charge of naming the scooters was enamored with the Popeye cartoon and especially the Character Wimpy. The exec also was throwback 50s type and was a former beatnik.

Hence Burg (short for Burger and Man.

Eddie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Eddie, that sounds like one of those urban legends to me. Better burger man then Sweetpea. Since I use my Burgman 400 mainly to commute to work I will just tell people who ask that Burgman is German for City man.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bugleman, Boogieman and other misnomers...

We're actively considering purchase of a Burgman 650. My wife just can't seem to get the name right, and we both have a good laugh about what she comes up with instead. So she just calls it the Bugle-man or Boogieman. At least Booger-man hasn't come up yet!javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Actually, you all have it wrong.

It's just the english spelling of the Japanese phrase: Boog Omaro which means
.Wait for it....
Sexy Moped

:smilebox: :smilebox::smilebox::smilebox::smilebox::smilebox:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If the original question is "Where did the name Burgman come from?" , then the answer is probably "From a hat." I suspect they had narrowed down to 5 or 6 names. They were all crappy, so no one could/would decide which of those was best. They threw them all in a hat and let the company president pick one.

Now... What do you all think the 4 or 5 finalist names that DIDN'T get picked were?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
One alternative should have been "DNA"
(double Helix) :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I purchased my Burgman, I inquired about the name, & the salesman told me that Suzuki was really popular in Germany, & that he wouldn't be surprized if it wasn't a German design, and that the V Strom is also a German name. Notice I said V Strom not V Storm. So Suzuki is obviously being influenced by the Germans some where along the line, either in styling, name, or design. Of course that is just my opinion, I have even had folks ask me if the Burg was a BMW. So I think that it sounds a lot better than Sky Wave, especially if the concept orginated in Germany

Butch

·
Registered
47 Posts

Burgman from German to French means " Homme de Bourgade" that translate to English "Man of the village". Having friend in Moselle, France, little region sitting next to the German, French border. Got directly from the horse mouth. SALUT. Jaype.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Which could easily be slurred into "Man about town" which is what I'd think the Japanese designers were going for, though why they went that way is beyond me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts