Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading somewhere you should not switch to synthetic oils till the engine is broke in because they are so slick-ect. ect.-
So what is considered "broken in " for a 400 engine, I have a little over 4000 now and would like to start with Mobil 1 or it's equivalent. :?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I would say you're there. I use synthetic in the final drive only right now. I may swith to synthetic for the engine but due to the clutch I think I will run the OEM oil in the tranny.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Allan:

If you use a mc blend synthetic, it will be fine in the trans. I'll be changing to mobil 1 in 500 miles

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information , I will start at the next oil change. :)

Mobil 1 auto oil has no extra graphite or molybdenum additives & is NOT energy-conserving (EC) . (Almost all higher weight viscosity range oils are not ) so it like many other oils will not harm the clutch .

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
References above to tranny and clutch relative to type of oil: Does the 400 have any sort of clutch that runs in oil? My service manual is on backorder, but I previously had a Honda Reflex and it only had the engine oil, and rear drive oil. Clutch system ran dry.

·
Registered
793 Posts
same here for the 400.
engine and final oils only.

the 650 shares engine and wet clutch oil.

the 400 is a dry centrifugal arrangement that looks
like two brake shoes on an spring loaded expanding wheel.

·
Registered
605 Posts
What about that tranny oil?? How does one change it and what is the procedure?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Timothy, you need to remove the black cover and whatever panel above it so that you can get to the bolts that hold the cover on. After that, you will see on the very rear of the belt drive, stamped into the housing the number 200ml (the amount you put in). The two upper bolts are the ones you remove....theres a third down toward the bottom that is not part of this. The lower bolt drains the oil, the upper one is where you fill it. You'll need to figure how to get the oil in the very tiny hole...about a quarter inch. I simply stuck the nozzle of the gear oil in the hole, squeezed till oil ran out that hole. After the excess drained, put the filler plug back in. You're done. This thing is so much like the Honda Reflex and Helix...and thats the procedure on them. That way you can't overfill it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey thanks for the tips...I don't have a service manual and so I have relied on the good folks here for advice. I planned to change the tranny oil later than the first service. As far as I can remember the tranny oil doesn't need changing for some ridicuous amount of mileage and time but I'll do it anyway. BTW what is lubricated there anyway since it doesn't have a wet plate clutch or a gear drive?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Timothy, not sure I can explain it but theres all sorts of drive gears in the rear end. Its so easy to do because you have to remove the cover to get to the front part which is the crankshaft in order to be able to turn the engine to TDC for the valve adj. I used synthetic in mine, as I did with all my Honda's. Theres also a semi-syn avail in 90W.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts