Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a b400 w/ 28,000m and now have 32,000m. When do I need to replace the tran belt (not sure if thats the right term)?

Someone just told me it should have been done at 20,000m so I am somewhat scared to ride it.

Please advise.....

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I would guess it's been changed before you bought it. I've never seen anyone post much more than 22-25k on the OEM CVT belt. Only true way would be to pull the CVT cover off & measure the belt. It's been a while sense I had my 400 but I believe the min speck was .95".

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
There is no set mileage to replace the belt.

There is a wear limit (I think it is 25mm measured at three points around the belt) and when you are below that, replacement is called for.

I think 30K+ on a belt may be pushing it.

You can kind of infer your belt wear by noting your rpm at high speeds. As the belt wears your RPM will creep higher. With a new belt, fresh drive pulleys and 19g DP sliders, I was seeing about 6-6.2K @ 70 mph. Now I am at 6.8K @ 70 mph and need to start thinking about fresh pulleys and a new belt.

The actual numbers you will see will depend on your particular setup, the year of the bike and the condition of your transmission.

Other than that, I got nothing.

<edit>
I think the next post may be correct (@ .95 inches being the low spec). Be aware that the way the belt is constructed, it will show no change in the measurement until the moment it wears out. The belt has a hexagonal shape.

</edit>

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What happens

I took it to 70mph on an upgrade and was at 6.5k but will have it inspected.

What happens if the belt breaks while riding? Does the back tire sieze up?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I took it to 70mph on an upgrade and was at 6.5k but will have it inspected.

What happens if the belt breaks while riding? Does the back tire sieze up?

Thanks again
Sounds like your not getting any slipping. If the belt breaks rear wheel wouldn't lock. You'll need to push or tow it home, as there's nothing connecting the engine to the rear wheel. ;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think the belt is working fine. I would just ride it and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Disagree, osbornk. I would pull the cover and measure it. Nothing like knowing!
The RPMs at the speed he indicated to me that the belt is not badly worn. I do oil and filter changes as well as check my tires frequently. If it ain't broke..... It has worked for me for the last 40+ years and 16 bikes. Never had a breakdown or major problem.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Does anybody know the minimum spec in millimeters for the 2007 and up Drivebelt width? I've heard 20, 22, 25...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Excellent stuff Liamjs... So it looks like we only have 1 mm to work with for wear. So 24 mm would be our replacement limit, preferably a bit before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts