Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently in Rapid City, South Dakota in the middle of return trip from Yellowstone to North Carolina on my 2012 Suzuki Burgman Executive. I intend to spend a week in Chicago and am becoming concerned with the wear on my Shinko SR568 rear tire.

I’m concerned whether this tire will hold up for the 1,000 or so miles I have left before I get to Chicago where I’ll have the opportunity to have it replaced, as finding a replacement has proven difficult while traveling.

Presumably the tread will eventually begin to show. How much rubber do I have left before the tread begins to show? What should I be looking out for? Am I up the creek now, am I up the creek when the tread begins to show?

All thoughts and perspectives appreciated.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
I’d rather ride on the rim than dodge bullets in the wrong part of Chicago.

Five remain at Amazon :

How to get an Amazon package delivered to a Hotel or maybe a cycle shop:

·
Registered
94 Posts
A thousand miles is a lo-o-o-o-o-ng way on a bald tire.

Check the whole circumference of the tire for wear. Watch it closely, like every 100 miles or so. but be nervous-- very, very nervous. I pushed my rear tire too far a little over a year ago, broke my knee, and I still go downstairs like a toddler, leading with only the right foot and holding onto the hand rail.

I've traveled and camped in the Black Hills. You are probably in the best location in several hundred miles to deal with getting a new tire. Rapid city has motels, campgrounds, all kinds of traveler services, big enough to have a shop that can mount the new tire. You don't want a blowout in a place Philip SD, population 779 as the 2010 census.

Suggestion:
Don't go far with this tire. Work the local community, Internet, local businesses, for a tire source that will overnight it to a shop you can get to which can mount the tire for you. Don't be fussy about which brand. Use the remaining wear for the running around this may require, maybe a few miles local sight seeing. I found out the hard way, towing is expensive, and significant injury is incredibly more so.

Oh yes, one last thing. You are already up that smelly creek. If the threads show you have lost the paddle and the canoe has a leak.

·
Administrator
22,919 Posts
When I left Salem Oregon on Apr 20th I made a last minute Amazon order for some things I'd need for my trip to Maine. I had it delivered to the Hampton Inn in Lincoln NE and it was waiting on me when I checked in the night of Apr 21. It works.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I suspect you will start showing cord within a couple hundred miles. The problem with taking a tire that far down, is how easily it will puncture. A stiff thorn, a shard of safety glass, etc..., and you're done. Or maybe it blows out while you are doing 70. If it was me, I'd have a new tire put on now. You're looking at a few different possible endings here, and a couple of them aren't so good.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Also no rain grooves. You'll hydroplane on a wet surface. Someone told me once "Mike, a motorcycle tire is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you are to the end the faster it will run out!"

I've seen them run down to where cords started to show, The best insurance you can buy is a good set of tires.

Lot's of sidewall left!

·
Super Moderator
5,705 Posts
Be aware:
The special grippy cap compound that gives the tyre its high traction is very unlikely to extend even to the bottom of the grooves, as they were never meant to touch the road - so you will not be getting the tyre’s expected performance.

The sea areas of the tread may be cut into intermediate or base layer material which is formulated to support and strengthen, stop chunking etc and not for grip like the surface layer is.

Hence manufacturers tell you to replace the tyre once you get to the wear bars. Beyond that grip may be compromised.
The good stuff extends a little below that but not much in a lot of cases (in my experience).

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
why dont they build a tire with far more wear capability in the center?

yes, some have more rubber there, but always we see bald in the middle and tread on the sides.

everyone on the bs boat of inflation and raising prices.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
cost, there are tires with different compounds in the center for longer wear, but we cheapo consumers won't buy them cause we'd rather have cheap tires , refreshin beverages and shiney things for swmbo to keep her smilin , so we can keep ridin

·
Registered
173 Posts
Worry is not good or healthy. Don't worry, take action and replace it now, problem solved.
I wouldn't ride around the block on that tire let alone interstate traveling. Certainly wouldn't entertain a carrying passenger I cared about.

Do yourself a favor when that tire is off. Place one finger inside and one outside the tire pushing the fingertips together and see/feel how much you have left, shocking.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep, I would say that tire should have been replaced some time ago. I personally might risk it at slow speed a few miles to get to the service center to have it replaced, but not much more and not at all if it is wet outside. It is a bad spot to be in, but if you can get it replaced you can relax and enjoy rest of your journey home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
after my current pos tire which has a flat area after 6000km, I have a feeling this is the way.

mine is 160/60-14 so will go with 155/60

I do wonder what intentions that fortnine has with his video.with all YT folks, they have specific intentions. its not always pure and sincerity. most times it isnt.

its a scary line to pass over. but dammit I paid twice as much for my current tire as what the price is for a 155/60-14 Continental ContiEcoContact 3 155/60R15 74T -some massive thieving going on. and its not even a great brand. its some pos turkish brand

and I figure I should get twice the wear. so basically 400% beter value. but then you have to remove some of the awkward driving mechanism. I wonder about grip in emergency situations where I know how the tire will behave and now I dont know. years of driving..now something new to reprogram your head.

why though if its so good to go DS (and on paper it is) , dont more go that route?

·
Registered
243 Posts
after my current pos tire which has a flat area after 6000km, I have a feeling this is the way.

I do wonder what intentions that fortnine has with his video.with all YT folks, they have specific intentions. its not always pure and sincerity. most times it isnt.

its a scary line to pass over. but dammit I paid twice as much for my current tire as what the price is for a 155/60-14 Continental ContiEcoContact 3 155/60R15 74T -some massive thieving going on. and its not even a great brand. its some pos turkish brand

and I figure I should get twice the wear. so basically 400% beter value. but then you have to remove some of the awkward driving mechanism. I wonder about grip in emergency situations where I know how the tire will behave and now I dont know. years of driving..now something new to reprogram your head.

why though if its so good to go DS (and on paper it is) , dont more go that route?
I do my own mouting and balancing. My last $100 City Grip lasted 5,500 miles. That's a new rear tire every 1.5 oil changes. The car tire set me back $35.00 shipped to my door. It currently has close to 6,000 miles on it. I see no wear.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Too many people saying if you go dark side you will die!!!
I am wondering about motorcycle tires too. A history lesson from 1969 --
Back then in the pre-radial tire era here in the US a tire on my car lasted 15 - 20 thousand miles. Today after decades of development and technical gains I get 50 - 60 thousand miles, and frequently it is the tire carcass failing not tread wear-out. At the same time I got about 9 to 10 thousand miles from a motorcycle back tire. Today i STILL get about the same 9 to 10 thousand mile life from radial and bias ply tires. Back then and now, the prices of a motorcycle tire is about the same as a car tire.

If enough people go dark side maybe the tire makers will share those already done and paid for decades of research and development with the two wheel world.

·
Super Moderator
5,705 Posts
I don’t see anybody on here saying you will die.

I do say handling and stability are compromised - because I had to study and model it and handling and stability were compromised.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts