Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, fellow Burgman fans.

Yesterday I seemed to have snapped my drive belt (I think) on my 2003 Burgman 650 with 50,000 miles, so now I'm in decision mode.

What I'm hoping is that someone can share with me is what other parts should be swapped out at the same time?

I'm just not sure, but I hear terms like "Rollers" and such.

Also, how many hours should I plan on paying the shop for, at $110 an hour, the cost escalates quickly.

Thanks for any advice and insight that you share.

Regards, Shane in Calgary Canada

·
Registered
118 Posts
You may be unpleasantly surprised at the cost to replace that belt. It isn't a simple V-belt. If that is what is even wrong with it. The 650 has a very overcomplicated drive arrangement and there are more than a few things that may mimic a broken belt. Use our search to look up 650 broken drive belt. Good luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This may give some insight:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This may give some insight:
ugg

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
The 650 has a inclosed CVT that does not use sliders/rollers/vaiators. The belt is about $300. But most times a bearing failed and took the belt out.

One of the things that could have failed on a 2003 like yours is the primary adapter. The 2003-2004 have a short (Not long enough) Primary Adapter. It only engages 35% of the available splines inside the hollow Input shaft. Mine was 2/3 worn out when I replaced it with a better "Polish Adapter" made in Poland at first. See pictures below. If that adapter strips then there is a posability that this Polish adapter may fix it.

Worn Adapter.png Primary adapter 1.jpg Primary adapter 2.jpg
Size of Polish adapter 1.jpeg Primary adapter old and new 2.jpg Primary adapter old and new 3.jpg

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard something go "twang" and then lost all drive. I was pretty sure it was the belt, but have no way to confirm

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
Below is a 650 CVT housing. The belt and pulleys are inside. The second picture is of a member's CVT that had the main spline stripped but it shows the inner works.

2003 CVT Nuts.jpg

CVT inner works.jpg

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
Sorry to say this....

The hourly rate of removing enough body parts to drop the engine down, remove the CVT, Repair CVT and reinstall all parts will be much MORE than a 2003 is worth.

Reactions: Shaner

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sadly and quickly coming to that realization.

I'm really bummed out, I love riding that bike...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Shaner, sorry to hear about your Burgie.

I bought mine a few years back and got it cheap because it had a broken belt. The PO included a new belt and the plastic gears in the price so I took a shot at doing it myself.

I’m not much of a mechanic but between LeDude’s website and the FSM I was able to do it successfully. LeDude’s website provides terrific detailed instructions for most things and I followed instructions carefully.

You’ll need some basic tools (including torque wrench) and you’ll need to make some “special” tools (which are actually quite easy and there’s lots of examples available). I can perhaps help you out with those as well.

It’s mostly time consuming and keeping track of (or labeling everything) but not overly complicated.

Many folks on here have done several and can offer advice.

Better than scrapping or parting out the old girl. I see you’re in Calgary. If you were in Vancouver, I’d buy it off you. I’d have no hesitation doing another belt replacement.

Cheers, Lee

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
sounds like a perfectly good reason to get a new one, be sure to pick up some shiney things for swmbo to help smooth the transition

Reactions: Shaner

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Shaner, sorry to hear about your Burgie.

I bought mine a few years back and got it cheap because it had a broken belt. The PO included a new belt and the plastic gears in the price so I took a shot at doing it myself.

I’m not much of a mechanic but between LeDude’s website and the FSM I was able to do it successfully. LeDude’s website provides terrific detailed instructions for most things and I followed instructions carefully.

You’ll need some basic tools (including torque wrench) and you’ll need to make some “special” tools (which are actually quite easy and there’s lots of examples available). I can perhaps help you out with those as well.

It’s mostly time consuming and keeping track of (or labeling everything) but not overly complicated.

Many folks on here have done several and can offer advice.

Better than scrapping or parting out the old girl. I see you’re in Calgary. If you were in Vancouver, I’d buy it off you. I’d have no hesitation doing another belt replacement.

Cheers, Lee
Hi Lee,
guess what? I’m going to be moving to Naniamo in October, if you are serious I can figure out a way to get it to Van

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If i had a garage money and an extra ride, id definitely take on a challenge if i owned a 650. Help and knowledge by picking the pros brains here is definitely the decisive factor. The folks jer know their stuff. As long as you have some mechanical skills and tools. Obviously a lot of work but from What i read its a few thousand dollars depending what is wrong. Let us know what you decided

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Lee,
guess what? I’m going to be moving to Naniamo in October, if you are serious I can figure out a way to get it to Van
I’m happy to try and work something out with you. I imagine there’s a way on this forum to PM me but I don’t know how to PM someone.

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
I too would ride over and spend a couple days helping if Calgary was not so far and Covid19 did not close the border.

That said, I'd also buy it from you for the plastics.....

Heres a test. It will require you removing maybe the left under foot plastic panel and the right one too. Then remove the little cover over the Primary Input Adapter on the left side of the engine module. Put the parking brake on hard. Then start the engine and look inside that hollow tube at the bolt head holding the adapter on. If the bolt is spinning with the engine it is most likely not striped. You can now also look on the right side at the CVT cooling fan to see if its spinning.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hmmmm.... moving to Nanaimo are we? Most Albertans move here for the climate, but leave because of the weather. A 400 is quite enough for the island. Beware, between Qualicum Beach and Victoria you will encounter some of the most intentionally bad drivers in Canada. But then again Alberta drivers are quite aggressive and rude and have no idea what turn signals are for. Happy Motoring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmmm.... moving to Nanaimo are we? Most Albertans move here for the climate, but leave because of the weather. A 400 is quite enough for the island. Beware, between Qualicum Beach and Victoria you will encounter some of the most intentionally bad drivers in Canada. But then again Alberta drivers are quite aggressive and rude and have no idea what turn signals are for. Happy Motoring.
We moved here from Prince George in March to get our son set up, and got kinda stuck due to the shitstorm going on around us.

·
Registered
884 Posts
As instructed by the mighty Ledude until you open the patient you cant diagnose the issue. When you do check al the bearings, the teeth on the plastic gears, the faces on the sheaves, the teeth on the pullies and obviously the belt for damage

1 - 19 of 19 Posts