Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Interesting concept. One thing the don't mention is how to get the car up on the device. In the documentary from Discovery Canada it shows the car rolling forward onto the Retriever. From the way the the wheels set in the system, I doubt you could use it to move cars with severe from end damage.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I saw this episode on the Discovery Channel. Where this bike is at an advantage is where there are no real shoulders for a car experiencing mechanical failures. The bike can then lane split in stopped traffic to retrieve the disabled auto. I believe the machine they were showing was in the UK.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Pretty Cool 8)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Great video and concept, but maaan....that looks veeery tricky. And, imo, no, I think you'd overtax the burger.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
And how do you stop a 3500 lb. car with a 600 lb. bike. even if the trailer has electric brakes It has got to be a nightmare.
I guess acceleration is around 0 to 30 in 1/2 hour ?
It really seems we make "things" because we can -not because there is any practical need or use. :(
Last but not least, If a cop did not give you a ticket -it's because he laughing so hard

·
Registered
428 Posts
How do you hook up a car that can't be driven or rolled unto it? And once the car is hooked what do you do with the driver, leave him behind?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think that this an amazingly bold invention, and should revolutionise the inner city recovery industry. A single broken down car can cause stationary traffic for miles and miles on the intra city 2 lane elevated highway without hard shoulder, so this would be a great help. To combat this, the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) recovery vehicles run Police lights sirens to get to stricken vehicles on Japanese highways.

Interestingly, the GW doesn’t compare that badly to a standard British tow vehicle or the standard wagon in the torque stakes:

Ford Transit (base for recovery vehicles):
205ftlbs torque
125bhp
2.4 ton
Torque to weight ratio: 82ftlbs per ton

GoldWing 1800:
125ftlbs torque
118bhp
0.36 ton
Torque to weight ratio: 347ftlbs per ton

Ford Mondeo 2.0 (typical family sedan/wagon)
125ftlbs torque
125bhp
1.4 ton

So, in summary, the Goldwing has as much torque as a typical family sedan, at a fraction of the weight. It would do just fine if it moved along very slowly indeed, but I think it should shift vehicles in these hard to get to situations very well indeed. Great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts