Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once and awhile I hear this sort of moaning, ghostly type sound (maybe its getting ready for halloween?) coming from the front area of the scoot...sounds like lower right size...but not sure. Once, while sitting over at a friends house it emitted this sound three times which sorta cracked up the bystanders. I've noticed it also with engine running at idle...otherwise theres too much engine/wind noise.

Temp runs steady, and there are no leaks, so I'm not especially concerned by it. Just wondering if anyone else has these weird sounds?

I thought maybe I'd bleed the line when I deplasticize the critter for the next valve adj. Maybe it has something to do with air in the system.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Nope. Never heard any noises from my 650 after shutting it off. Of course if you took it to the dealership it probably wouldn't do it then...

Have you considered an exorcist? :shock:

Sounds like it could be a pressure relief valve of some sort - fuel tank possibly? My Kawasaki Concours used to whine when I parked it - sounded almost like it was crying. It was from the gas cap vent.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Set the rear suspension to a stiffer setting and the moan will disappear.

The reason that it appears that the sound is coming from the front is
because the rear shock absorber piston is located near the front
while the rear of the shock is at the underside of the engine.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Ted

It may also be your fuel pump, which I believe is lower front right.

OR

Your fuel tank could be farting excess pressure out :oops:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had not thought of the fuel tank. I have an extra gas cap which I'll put on to see if it goes away. Course it doesn't happen often...and is not pretdictable as to when, where, or how it will. It its the fuel tank/cap it may have something to do with how much/little gas is in it. When I heard it yesterday...for the first time in weeks...the tank was about half empty.

Thanks guys for the ideas.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Ted

Usual caveat that I approach this from the Olde Burger perspective and yours may well be different.

The fuel pressure control valve may not be patent. This is easy to check and shown in the service manual. There is some tupperware oragami involved though :cry: .

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Norm, you can come up with more stuff just to make me "deplasticize" that critter. If it hasn't stopped when I do the valves, I may take a look at all that cute stuff in the gas tank.

How come you get such poor milage? We're getting 65-70mpg with a mix of interstate and back roads. Have about 4500 miles on mine now.

Forgot: I like your bike color...same as the '03 SW Honda...sure it ain't a Honda in disguise? :lol:

Cheers, Ted

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Ted

Wrt the gas mileage. I ain't sure but I do a mix of urban stop start and high speed highway and I tend to ride like I stole it (Mine is Malossified and is not FI either).

However, I have a number of areas to investigate:

1. I have reverted to stock screen from the Givi.
2. I want to take the rear brake assembly apart - I think I may have a drag in there.
3. Not sure on belt condition - so this is a possible candidate.
4. The bikes emissions were OK 1500 miles ago - but I may whip out the plug just for confirmation.
5. Maybe our gas is ****!

On the colour - I like it but I would have preferred silver. But it is never a real criteria for me when I purchase - except if it was unliveable - like shocking pink or something like that. I always though the colour thing was a bit girly - If I say to SWMBO - Oh Joe has a new car - the response is - what colour is it? Not What make / model etc.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
NormanB said:

2. I want to take the rear brake assembly apart - I think I may have a drag in there.
2. You probably do have some drag, most motorcycle disk brakes do. There is no return spring to move the pads away from the disk. Releasing the brake lever simply releases pressure on the pads. At least that is what I've been told. And I know for sure that the rear disk on my V-Strom has some drag - I noticed it the other day when rotating the wheel to gain access to the air valve.

3. Good thing to check. I was surprised to learn at Scootercade that many of the Silverwing belts have needed replacement at 10k miles, or even less. A Silverwing rider asked me how long the AN650 belts last. When I told him that Suzuki UK stated "at least 60K miles" - and other Suzuki sources say "for the life of the scooter" - he was quite surprised. But I understand that the AN400 belt is of a much different design from that of the 650 - probably more like the one used in the Silverwing. If you do check it, it would be interesting to hear what you find regarding condition. To my knowledge, no one on this forum has reported having to replace a belt yet on either an AN400 or AN650.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
pauljo said:
NormanB said:

2. You probably do have some drag, most motorcycle disk brakes do. There is no return spring to move the pads away from the disk. Releasing the brake lever simply releases pressure on the pads. At least that is what I've been told. And I know for sure that the rear disk on my V-Strom has some drag - I noticed it the other day when rotating the wheel to gain access to the air valve.

3. Good thing to check. I was surprised to learn at Scootercade that many of the Silverwing belts have needed replacement at 10k miles, or even less. A Silverwing rider asked me how long the AN650 belts last. When I told him that Suzuki UK stated "at least 60K miles" - and other Suzuki sources say "for the life of the scooter" - he was quite surprised. But I understand that the AN400 belt is of a much different design from that of the 650 - probably more like the one used in the Silverwing. If you do check it, it would be interesting to hear what you find regarding condition. To my knowledge, no one on this forum has reported having to replace a belt yet on either an AN400 or AN650.
Hi Pauljo

Thanks for your response.

When I said drag - I realise that all disc brakes inherently have some drag - I should have said - excess drag.

Belts - as you say there is no comparing BurgerKing belts to the 400 (or the Silverwing) they are the apples and bananas of belts. See this belt discussion:
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=15354&highlight=#15354

I doubt if a 400 owner will get much more than 15Kmiles out of an OEM belt. (Just my guess! :wink: )

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
NormanB said:
When I said drag - I realise that all disc brakes inherently have some drag - I should have said - excess drag.
Hmmm... I suppose a build-up of brake dust crud could gum up the works. A good cleaning might do the trick. I never thought of that before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts