Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aloha, all. Francis from Hawaii, here (newbie). I am starting to make a wheelchair trike out of a Burg 650. I have one 2006 650 that I bought at an auction and need either a salvage or Burgman 650 with some problems going cheap. Anyone out there (especially on the West Coast) with parts or 1/2 bike (frame, rear wheel, swingarm,)? Or anyone in San Diego area that can look at a Burgman I found on craigs (to see if it is legit)?

I enclosed some pix. 2 are my current bikes, one is an electric bike (that I prob will Never finish) and 2 are 650 Burgmans that are made in Australia, but I feel are WAY too wide and large for me.

thanks
Francis

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Looks intriguing, Francis. Welcome to the forum. I live on Oahu. Aloha!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I'm to far from the west coast to help you out but welcome to the forum. Those are some interesting looking bikes you have built. Good luck on finding the parts you need for the 650 project.

·
Registered
140 Posts
How about conventional trike and just putting a extension on the back for your wheelchair to sit folded up? That would seem to me to be an inexpensive route. Depending on your ability to remain stable, you could get add a seat with a taller back to it and add a 3 point harness for support.

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
We had a member on here and she had Texas Sidecar make her a ramped sidecar for her chair. She would roll up, lock the ramp up and slide over on to the Burgmans seat. Had it listed on the classifieds and it may be in the classified archives.

Found it. Josephine's dad bought it and they had Texas Sidecars modify it to fit. http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/jtittsworth/

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Dave that's a nice setup, is the white thing a winch to raze and lower the ramp?

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
Dave that's a nice setup, is the white thing a winch to raze and lower the ramp?
While I never seen that one above in person, a friend and I built something almost like it a few years back. The white box is a 12 volt automatic gate opener that raises and lowers the ramp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Aloha, all, thanks for all your replies. Here are a few short comments for everyone:

1) I will be using car tires for the rear (especially since I will not be leaning into a corner). What is the max size that can fit on the back 14"?
Does it make a difference in low-end vs high end speed/power or does the CVT/ECU compensate for it? ie choosing a smaller or larger tire.

2) Shipping for a burgman east coast to west coast is $715.00 Shipping from west coast to Hawaii is $660.00

3) I do not like the sidecar approach to having the Burg and wheelchair combo. It is unstable and a bit scary. (3 wheels go over a speed bump or road irregularity at different times)

4) then there is the wheelchair trikes that have extended handlebars going back 4 feet and you sit with wheelchair behind the motor that remains in the middle. Trike is 12-15' long. Silly idea

5) The one i am building will be symetrical with the wheelchair rolling upbetween two burgmans. Total width of 58". The two nice ones in the photo are 83" or 2 feet wider. Mine is designed lower to the ground, with a second Burg with frame and "swingarm" for the "dummy side" for proper geometry . After all we are no longer traveling 40-45 mph, but capable of 90mph+. Gotta be safe.

6) Is there much to say about the ease of moving the Burg around when Suzuki altered the transmission in 2005 (they say 30% easier to push around). So going for a 2005 or newer is worth it?

thanks Francis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts