Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aloha,, I thought it might be fun to document here my conversion of a Burgman into a trike for Wheelchair use (Me !). I am going ahead with it since my tubing notcher came in from ebay...so I am forced to start the project.

Goals:
1) Make it safe and legal as we are no longer putting around on my current 50mph surface street trike.
2) Make it balanced and lower the cg as much as possible
3) Keep the scoot as light as possible and find ways to cut the current weight, even while adding more weight due to adding a third wheel. I already got a Leo Vince exhaust to which is lighter, as well as will not use the very heavy Burg Seats (I sit in the middle in a wheelchair anyway). Cut down the height (and width of the two outside frames and eliminate the rear frame although sacrificing some storage space. My mock up for my driving height/position puts the handlebars way high, so they will have to be shortened a lot.

Here is a photo of my current 2005 Burg with a before and after photo of the stripped off plastics. For over a week I have pondered where I will cut the frame and style the trike. Every time I come up with shortcuts and better designs. Now it is about to happen in the next 2 weeks.....it actually is really a simple job. The fiber glassing and making it look nice with be the toughie. (just remember triangles and gussets for strength)!

And Everyone: Feel free to jump in with comments or suggestions!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
I will watch with interest.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Interesting indeed! It will cool to see what you end up with and how it works for you. Wish I could have had a ride when I spend 9 months in a wheel chair after I busted my leg. I have a much deeper respect for the handicapped now.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Aloha and best of luck to you, adas108. One year I was in Daytona watching the usual craziness parade up and down Main Street, when I saw something which really caught my attention. It was a motorcycle moving up the street without a rider aboard!

There was a sidecar rigged to the bike though, and there was someone in it. As he passed, I realized that the sidecar held a wheelchair and the guy in the chair was driving the bike from the sidecar!

Necessity really is the mother of invention. Have fun with your project and let us know what you learn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Aloha, Not a lot of progress on the trike build as I am waiting for the 2004 Burg I bought on the East Coast to arrive in Hawaii. The more I plan and get into this build the more I want to do a more custom job.....but it may not end up looking like a Burg 650...we will see. But for sure it will be a lot lower in height and already I have scrapped the top frame and seat and under-seat storage. Here are a couple of mock-ups, one Burg panels and one Early Suzuki panels.
(its a start) And yes the handlebars will have to cut-down a LOT.
Francis

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Fork Travel

Aloha, all. In doing my Burgman 650 lowering, how much front fork travel do I need before I bottom out during normal riding and braking? Anyone lowered their scoot? (sorry I know this is not a common question, but someone out there must have messed around with your forks!)

Here is a photo of the 2004 I just got.

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think you will find most all feel the front fork travel is already too short.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Starting the Wheelchair trike

Aloha, All.
I finally got started on my wheelchair trike build. Looking at the photos, "no I will not have two motors" . Just keeping the second motor in until I finish the frame. (that is where the battery and gas tank an reversing electric motor go).
I have a lot of jigs tack welded and alignment things, so ignore them. Tomorrow I will weld up the front and make the floor pan as well as narrow the rear end where the shocks are. A couple of questons:

1) anyone lower the front on their Burg?
2) any source of aftermarket fairings and or custom items?

Not sure of the direction I will take for the skin. Maybe a full fiberglass job or also looking at the multi-colored custom bike shown. More updates to come after tomorrow.

Francis

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would think that you would have to change the rake of the head set anyway or the trike would be very unruly. That would lower it some.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would think that you would have to change the rake of the head set anyway or the trike would be very unruly. That would lower it some.
Aloha, On my other bikes I changed the rake, but did not like the floppiness of the front wheel.
Can you cite the specific reason for the rake change? In my case the bike is still the same length.
Is it common to change rake when doing a trike and if so, any idea what is the amount or the "rule of thumb"?

thanks
Francis

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't have any trike experience, but my last 3 rides have been Goldwings with sidecars, raked triple trees make it easier to steer, almost like adding power steering. Most sidecar riders seem to go with 4 to 4.5* of rake, some up to 6* but that seems to make the steering almost too easy, and twitchy. Good luck with your build, I had a friend that rode a Goldwing from a wheel chair in the sidecar, hope you enjoy yours as much as he did.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You change the rake to make it steer much easier in cornering and safer. It also rids a phenomena called head shake at low speed cornering. I am no expert on this but I helped a friend build a Harley trike out of a sportster. We dam near killed ourselves trying to drive the damm thing with the stock rake. You had to drive it like a tractor. He did some research found a company that make a triple tree with a added 4 degree rake which was recommended for his sportster. No cutting up the frame, it was all bolt on, worked pretty slick. You can now drive it safely on the high way. I would look into it to see you are not building something that is going to kill ya. I was just trying to think of a way to lower the front end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You change the rake to make it steer much easier in cornering and safer. It also rids a phenomena called head shake at low speed cornering. I am no expert on this but I helped a friend build a Harley trike out of a sportster. We dam near killed ourselves trying to drive the damm thing with the stock rake. You had to drive it like a tractor. He did some research found a company that make a triple tree with a added 4 degree rake which was recommended for his sportster. No cutting up the frame, it was all bolt on, worked pretty slick. You can now drive it safely on the high way. I would look into it to see you are not building something that is going to kill ya. I was just trying to think of a way to lower the front end.
Thanks for the tips. Since I have not welded back the frame yet, I can get a couple of degrees of rake when I weld it back tomorrow.
Combined with lowering the rear end 2" I should be in the 3-5 degrees of recommended rake.

I will lower the forks one inch (to just above where I can see the travel marks on the tube) and modify/lower the handle bars.
Combined with lowering the speedo/clockset I should have the height just about where i want it. (right now sitting in the wheelchair I cannot even see over the speedo to the road :rolleyes:)

Francis

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm not an engineer by anyones standards but what you guys are referring to is altering the trail in the steering geometry and this REALLY needs to be done with caution as the butt you may bust may be your own! Take a look at this link and maybe this will assist you in your design.

http://www.libertysidecars.com/product2.htm

Good luck in this endeavor, if you get it figured out you may find there is a market for a rig like you're designing.

Greg

·
Registered
256 Posts
adas108, this is an amazing project. Which Island do you live on? Aloha.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just a few years ahead of your time ...
http://www.nippi.com.au/nippi650
There have been a few others who have ventured in the Suzuki Burgman Trike market as well but unfortunately the market has not been very rewarding for them. Some companies have been absorbed by others and then decided to cease production. Others have decided not to pursue development any further than they already had because they did not find enough of a demand in the marketplace.

While I think has been presented here is innovative and appealing, it raises questions about how cost effective it would be to produce? Is there a demand and how many units would you actually be able to sell. Technical questions that now only deal with the Rake of the front end but also the rear suspension and safety as far as locking in the Wheel Chair to the Scooter Platform.

There is no doubt whether or not it can be done because the above shows that it can. It's really the other issues that get in the way of it's success. As a Burgman Trike Rider, I would really like to see Burgman Scooters rise in popularity. It would get people on Three wheel Burgman Scooters who would might otherwise not shown an interest because of balance or other issues.

The bottom line for any company is what sells. Its great to see the innovative ideas that others bring to the table but we also have to realize its the dollar that drives the market.

Jason

·
Administrator
20,701 Posts
I do not know why Adas stopped posting but it happens. I was wanting to see the final product.

I could build a Reverse trike that would have a rack to hang the wheelchair on and then a Power Seat to lower the rider down in but just the frame would cost about $9000 and add a New Burgman power to that. Yes you could recoup some of the cost by selling the tupperware and whatever not used parts as "Like New" but you are still going to pay about $16,000 or more. If the demand was there and a Frame Jig could be made the cost of the frame would drop down towards $7,000. But a "1 off" unit is very costly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts