Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my weekend getaway with my wife is shot to heck - front wheel wobbling all over the place on the way home today and no wheel bearings available until next Wednesday :mad:

I guess I am gonna start replacing these everytime I get a new front tire because I don't like the surprise of waiting for them to fail. I expected they would last longer than 34,000 but oh well.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Now there's another thing I have to fix. This site is getting expensive. Lol. :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now there's another thing I have to fix. This site is getting expensive. Lol. :D
Hahahaha..... You know whats interesting about this is my previous scooter 2003 Honda Silverwing went through 3 sets while I had it. Each set lasted just about 30,000 miles to so it must be the smaller wheels or something. Who knows I am just making stuff up lol..... I have no clue why they wear so fast but I won't be caught without having some spares on hand again. 10 dollars for the set on Amazon its worth having some onhand in the future.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It's a good thing... I will have them done when I get the front tire replaced soon. Rear when that is due.

The 400 has served me well. Ingrid deserves a little TLC.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Liam, your ok with the rear, there aren't any on the 400. It's shaft drive. But the fronts don't normally go that often I've found. Replaced a set on a bike (400) with 60k miles in it. First time it had them done. At least it only takes an hour or so to do.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Liam, your ok with the rear, there aren't any on the 400. It's shaft drive. But the fronts don't normally go that often I've found. Replaced a set on a bike (400) with 60k miles in it. First time it had them done. At least it only takes an hour or so to do.
I wouldn't think they would go so fast either - but the bummer is when they do you'll get almost no warning and then be down for a week. I think if nothing else I'll always have a set on hand, I rely on this bike as my primary means of transportation so its inconvenient when every part takes a week to get from a dealer. I wish places like Autozone sold all the commonly needed stuff for bikes like they do for cars - but thats a dream right :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered OEM from Cycle Nation (Local Suzuki Dealer) for 14.00 each.

·
Banned
78 Posts
For about the same money you could buy premium quality, double sealed bearings from SKF.

I recently replaced the wheel bearings in my 650 with electric motor grade bearings from SKF.

They're rated for 11,000 RPM, are double sealed, have water resistant lube, and are engineered to run continuously for long periods of time without failure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got some from AllBalls Racing... But I had to cross over the SKF numbers to get the right ones; Burgmans aren't listed on their website for some reason...

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Sold my 07 400 with 46k+ miles with the OEM bearing still fine in it. ;)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Supposedly, my first-gen Concours ate front wheel bearings. So I replaced a couple of times in the 40,000 miles I owned it. Despite the old ones being good...
I doubt its related to the front wheel diameter (on the Burger 400).

Thanks for the tip for SKF bearings. Might as well put a set in my toolbox :) Doesn't hurt to be ready.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm starting to search for front wheel bearings. Aside from going to the dealer and ordering, does anyone have the part numbers for the SKF bearings they are using.?
What seals are you using ... SKF, OEM, or other.?
Are these the same for 650s as they are for the 400s.?

Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
mine only has 19,500 miles on it and the front has been wobbling for a long time now, looking forward to fixing it with a simple bearing replacement. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The rear of the 400 does have a bearing. It's in the aluminum triangular A-arm.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I just looked on CheapCycleParts.com

2008 AN400 and 2008 AN650 use different part no. for the front wheel bearings.

Once you get the:
Inside diameter
Outer diameter
Thickness (height)

you can find SKF bearings.

Experience with my 05 Concours is, bearings are bearings. Just get the correct one and tap it in.

Reactions: Rusty J and Dave_J

·
Administrator
20,089 Posts
Many years ago member Wes (RIP) did a posting for the 650's listing the bearings for the 650.

No one has bothered to do this for the 400 or the 200. If someone could measure the bearings and seals and post them I'll sticky it to the page like the 650 has.

If any 400 owner near Seattle that orders in a new set of bearings lets me know I'll come over and measure them and post the sizes and then its easy to go to a bearing clearing house to convert the sizes into part numbers

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Thanks Dave_J

In the meantime, I might pull my front wheel (400) and measure the bearing.

With 42,000 miles, I think I'll replace the bearings anyway.

Reactions: Rusty J and Dave_J

·
Administrator
20,089 Posts
Reactions: Rusty J and Bolzen

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
^ It would be good to do for all bearings the rider gets hands on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts