Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early wheel bearing failure? Yup. 23800 k's in our case. There is a post on a couple of others with early? failure. The bearings in ours had METAL SHIELDS not rubber seals. Replaced with 6203 bearings (Standard bearing number) with 2 rubber seals. The bearings are smaller than on a lot of other bikes. This is the first bike that Iv'e had that the wheel bearings went at this mileage. Mind you they only cost $12 the pair, fitting time only 15 min at the bike shop. I will keep an eye on the life of the current pair. To me , this is a MINOR problem, keep an eye on them, cheap to change, less than an oil filter. The scoot is still the best 2 wheeler that I have owned (35 years of riding). Cheers from Tassie. Geoff

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Sorry to hear about your failure Zook but am glad you posted for the rest of us. You failed to mention if it was front or rear wheel bearings that failed.
I washed my bike yesterday by hand and noticed that my machine already has the bearings with the rubber shields. The problem with the metal shields is they permit more water to enter the bearing especially if you're using a powerwash to clean the bike and dierect the water nozzle at the wheel bearings.

Do you have the bearing number by chance handy so others could maybe order it and replace them before they too experience failure?
Thanks again Zook

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wheel bearing seals

Front wheel bearings are the ones that went. If you look at the front end where the axle is you will see 2 seals. The bearings are BEHIND these seals. Possibly the reason for metal shields not seals.
Aprox 400,000 people live in Tasmania. As far as I know there are 4 burgers down here. Take it easy. Geoff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Front Wheel Bearing Failure

I have ridden motorcycles for about 100,000 miles. Last week was the first time I've pulled off the freeway for anything other than tire or running out of gas (the last time that happened was in 1973). But my Burgman 650 started jumping around and making some clunking noises. Pulled off I-405 and checked the front wheel and the bearings were shot. I only have 6600 miles on it. Dealer claimed that Suzuki doesn't have any information out on this even though I told him I've heard it's a problem. Cost $115 to have the dealer replace them & order them (vice-versa, actually).
:( :oops:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Re: Front Wheel Bearing Failure

ScooterSurvey said:
Dealer claimed that Suzuki doesn't have any information out on this even though I told him I've heard it's a problem.
I've suggested this before, and maybe it's time to suggest it again. For the U.S. residents who have experienced these failures, have you submitted a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration? That's the organization that forces manufacturers to perform safety recalls.

Go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and fill out the form. When you get to the list of manufacturers, you will not see Suzuki. The proper name on the form is "American Suzuki Motor Corp." (You need to look under the "A"s, not the "S"s.)

·
Registered
10 Posts

Analytical said:
ScooterSurvey said:
Dealer claimed that Suzuki doesn't have any information out on this even though I told him I've heard it's a problem.
I've suggested this before, and maybe it's time to suggest it again. For the U.S. residents who have experienced these failures, have you submitted a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration? That's the organization that forces manufacturers to perform safety recalls.

Go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and fill out the form. When you get to the list of manufacturers, you will not see Suzuki. The proper name on the form is "American Suzuki Motor Corp." (You need to look under the "A"s, not the "S"s.)
I took your advice and filled out the rather lengthy form!

·
Registered
209 Posts

ScooterSurvey said:
I took your advice and filled out the rather lengthy form!
Well, now we know there's at least one! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Would it be possible for someone or ones to give us "standard" part numbers (not the Suzuki P/N) for the the front and rear wheel bearings and seals for the 650.
Might be good parts to have on hand just in case; and cheaper to buy
elsewhere(if possible) than from Suzuki.
GinDrinker

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Adding to this post after searching for Wheel Bearings. My rear bearing failed on my at ~12,000 miles. I wish I had my service manual to do this myself, but it is currently on backorder. The dealer might be getting the best of me on this one. They did check the front bearing, and said it still looked good.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I'm glad this post was bumped. I have over 19,500 miles on my original wheel bearings. Time to buy some new ones to have on hand. I think I'll replace the stockers at the next tire changes.

In the link to the other thread containing more detail, the bearing Allwalk used were made by SKF. Parts numbers were:

Front: 6203 2RS
Rear: 6204 2RS

The 2RS suffix means two rubber seals (which the stock parts don't have).

Now I need to find where to buy them....

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I went to Precision Industries in Omaha this morning and bought a full set of wheel bearings for the 650. They had several brands in stock (all priced the same). I went with the SKF units. $7.45 apiece for the front bearings, $9.26 apiece for the rears. A little pricey I think, but still less than the inferior OEM units. These are pre-lubricated by the way. As soon as I finish wearing out that rear Pirelli I'll get them installed.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Bearings...

Since I have an 03' even though it only has 599 miles on it I will replace both the front and back bearings when I change the tires. Will probably do that at the 4000 mile service just because. I don't like to throw money away but the bike sat for the better part of 2 years...just worried about dry rot and the like. Rather be safe than sorry.

Doing the 600 mile service this weekend plus changing flushing the cooling system and replacing the brake fluid. Again due to the age. Probably way overkill but being on 2 wheels has made me wary of skimping on services.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Sounds like a bearing replacement at tire switch time is a good hedge.
Might even save a few bucks, since you're already paying them to remove the wheels.
Anyone done this themselves? Suzuki want's an arm and a leg for their bearing removal and installation tools.
I think the bearing installation set had a price of over $600.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Brewman said:
Might even save a few bucks, since you're already paying them to remove the wheels.
Anyone done this themselves? Suzuki want's an arm and a leg for their bearing removal and installation tools.
:shock: :shock: :shock: 600 smackers?!?

Better get a buddy who works at a machinist shop to do the job and save the dough for gas. :wink:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Brewman said:
I did it myself. 2 all of about 30 mins for each wheel. I used different bearings for replacements as well. The ones I installed had rubber seals on each side as opposed to the metal dust covers that Suzuki used. You can read more about it and the bearing numbers here http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1973&highlight=

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thanks for the tip Norman, I have no idea. I am the only one with access to change anything in that gallery so I don't know. I definetely didnt remove them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts