Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I both bought 650's last September. I have 3,000 miles on mine and he has over 11,000. He rides a great deal and said his scooter felt like it had a flat tire. After checking the front wheel bearings, which were in bad shape, he removed the rear wheel and the bearings were SHOT. Both appeared to be dry from day one. Dealer wanted $17 per bearing, local machine shop supply asked $4 each and they were identical. With the wheels off of the ground, you could move the wheels side to side. Anyone else having any trouble. Both scoots were mfg. in 3/03.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
George,

Use the forum Search function and key in "bearing". There are other accounts of premature wheel bearing failure on the 650s. The most common one to fail first seems to be one of the rears - I think it is on the brake side.

I also posted the other day about a rumor in Scootin' magazine that Suzuki does not lube bearings before installing them. Someone else rebutted my post, but maybe there is something to it. I honestly don't know for sure. I do know that Suzuki needs to address early wheel bearing failure on the AN650 - there have been too many reported to view them as isolated incidents.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I couldn't decide where to put this. We have a variety of threads on 650 wheel bearings. I wonder why... :roll:

Anyway, while I was having my rear tire replaced on the scooter today, I took a good look at the rear wheel bearings with the mechanic. They look fine at 13,217 miles. Nice and shiney, with no visible wear. But I don't rain ride much - a couple of brief showers was about it. It's got to be the water getting in there that destroys them.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Next service, I probably need to have mine inspected. If I keep riding in weather like today I may have to mount a periscope to the Burgman. :cyclops:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts