Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just finished replacing rear tire and wheel bearings on my '07 Burgman 650 with 11,400 miles. Although there was no problem or unusual noise, I thought I would take care of it since I had a few days of rainy forecast to work on it.

I bought a blind hole bearing puller from Harbor Freight. Price was $69 minus 20% coupon, so about $55. Same price the dealer was going to charge me for one wheel. The tool is fine, but it still took a lot of work to get the bearings out. LeDude makes it look easy on his video. Mine took about 50 whacks each.

Even though it's an '07, the rear bearings were both sealed on one side only. The inner face was open and appeared to still have quite a bit of grease in them. They probably would have been OK for awhile. I got a pair of SKF bearings with both sides sealed.

I really screwed up when I tried to seat the first bearing and got it just slightly off kilter. CRAP! Since I work at a Kia dealer (taking photos of cars for their website), I went over and one of the mechanics said "no problem" and re-seated the bearing and put in the second one in about 10 minutes. I gave him $20 and was very thankful.

Putting it back together wasn't too bad except for getting the last 2 spacers in between the hub and swingarm on the RH side (next to the rear rotor). I finally held the outer spacer (with the flange) in place coming in from the bottom while gently tapping with a hammer. It then went in with minimal effort.

Rear brake attached and tupperware back on. Tomorrow is test ride.

Oh, and no leftover parts. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've not logged about 2000 miles on the Pirelli Diablos (S Rated). They're doing quite well as to handling and the ride quiality is very similar to the original Bridgestones.

Tire wear is right at 1/32" on both front and rear. Assuming a minimum tread depth of 2/32", the minimum legal depth here in MN, they'll be good for another 6 K miles. Not bad considering the price ($102 including S & H from <www.tiresunlimited.com>).

Would I buy them again? Probably not -- I'm hoping for better mileage between tire changes due to the work and trouble. I'll probably opt for Avon Viper Strykes next time assuming I can find some at a reasonable price.

Ray Nielsen, in Mineapolis and going for a lunch ride today.

I get my new front tire on Tuesday. The original form factory is almost gone on front and cupping on left side. I never rally liked the way this tires tracked. Anyway I'm getting Metzler that are "H" rated as per specs and according to what I have been reading are far superior than most tires in traction , handling and wear. Motorcycle-Superstore.com $102.00 including shipping.
Don't know how they will perform but figure can't get much worst than the Brimstones my bike came with. Bridgestone has a new replacement model but not available in US yet its "SC" according to website.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been running Metzler for several years with good luck on BMW'S & Moto Guzzi. I have a set to go on my Burgman Now. This first tires & I report on mileage ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any more current choices for bearing? 06 650 with 14k looking to maintain and upgrade while i pull thing apart for new rear tire.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wheel bearing life?

I bought my new 650 Exec in December 2017 and since then have covered 26-and-a-bit thousand miles. Last week my front wheel bearings were replaced as my workshop found significant play in the wheel during a routine service. Today during a trip, my rear wheel bearings failed catastrophically, to the extent that the wheel is damaged and requires replacement.

Now, the Burgman is my first Suzuki in 53 years of riding and I have never replaced wheel bearings before at least 100,000 miles. Did Suzuki have a bad batch of bearings in 2017 or is this typical? If it is typical of Suzuki build-quality, what other major components can I expect to fail at this tiny milage?
Not impressed!!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I get my new front tire on Tuesday. The original form factory is almost gone on front and cupping on left side. I never rally liked the way this tires tracked. Anyway I'm getting Metzler that are "H" rated as per specs and according to what I have been reading are far superior than most tires in traction , handling and wear. Motorcycle-Superstore.com $102.00 including shipping.
Don't know how they will perform but figure can't get much worst than the Brimstones my bike came with. Bridgestone has a new replacement model but not available in US yet its "SC" according to website.

Do not think you read this on this site, the consensus here by long term owners who have tried over time just about all tire offerings will tell you that the OEM Battlax is best on the front and for rear either the Battlax or a combination Battlax TH01 front and Michelin Power Sport SC rear. The Bstone Battlax TH01's were specifically designed for the Burgman 650.

Watch your rear Metzeler very carefully when it get worn as the rubber will disintegrate suddenly without warning, this has been reported here several times. Although a wee bit better than Michelin on the front did not like either, squirly and just never felt right.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Any more current choices for bearing? 06 650 with 14k looking to maintain and upgrade while i pull thing apart for new rear tire.
I always have SKF 6203-2RS fronts and SKF 6204-2RS rear on hand either for my own use or if ever I take my bike to a stealership and advise them that they are underneath the seat and to not install anything else. I refuse to use anything else, these are easily available from any bearing distributor or industrial supplier.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Do not think you read this on this site, the consensus here by long term owners who have tried over time just about all tire offerings will tell you that the OEM Battlax is best on the front and for rear either the Battlax or a combination Battlax TH01 front and Michelin Power Sport SC rear. The Bstone Battlax TH01's were specifically designed for the Burgman 650.

Watch your rear Metzeler very carefully when it get worn as the rubber will disintegrate suddenly without warning, this has been reported here several times. Although a wee bit better than Michelin on the front did not like either, squirly and just never felt right.
Yep...what he said! The front should be a Battlax. I'm running a Michelin SC on the back & it is great! It came with a replacement wheel & I'll run it till worn out. The Mich back appears to be more compliant over bumps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just turned 59K miles and replaced the front bearings. About 50K I replaced the rear. During the tire change I checked for any roughness. I think the open back side is the cause for bearings going bad.

161 - 169 of 169 Posts