Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This amy be a dumb question but when you replace the front or rear tires does the wheel need to be balanced. I had the front tire replaced and noticed a lot more vibration in the handlebars at speeds above 110 km/hr.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Yes it should be balanced before remounting on the bike.although some folks use 'dynabeads' and allegedly with some success. :wink:

BTW there is no such thing as a dumb question.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I use Dynabeads.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/char ... cycleChart

For stock size tires - 1 oz. front, 2 oz's rear.

I have the Dynabeads inserted into the tires when I replace them.
With tire already mounted on rim & installed on bike, you can still install the beads thru' the valve stem using the applicator shown on the web site.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Leo38 said:
I use Dynabeads.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/char ... cycleChart

For stock size tires - 1 oz. front, 2 oz's rear.

I have the Dynabeads inserted into the tires when I replace them.
With tire already mounted on rim & installed on bike, you can still install the beads thru' the valve stem using the applicator shown on the web site.
I'm a long-time user of Dynabeads. I used a similar product called Equal in the tires of my semi-truck and trailer for many years. I've experienced speeds of 90+ MPH one time I had a attack of stupidity while riding my Burgman 650. I experienced absolutely no balance problems at that speed using Dynabeads. If you use the one piece 90° aluminum valve stems a guy was selling in the BUSA classifieds section. The valve stem internal opening is to small to install the Dynabeads through the valve stem. Mount the tire on the rim and seat the bead. Then brake the tire bead seal in a small area on one side of the rim. Push in on the sidewall and pour the Dynabeads in the opening between the rim and the bead. Hold the tire/rim vertical as it would be mounted on your Burgman. Keep the part where you broke the bead at the highest point. Go ahead and re-inflate the tire to reseal the bead.

Happy Scøøterïng!

Ånï???

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I was a total non believer in Dynabeads but when I replaced both tyres and before
I blew them up I put 2 oz of .177 bb's the copper coated ones in each, you can ear
them rolling about when you push the scoot about but not once above walking speed,
If you rev the thing up on the stand you can feel a bit of out of balance as it starts
to turn but then smoothes out, on the road it is at least as smooth as with a proper
balance, of course it may just be they did not need balancing, and the only real test
I can think of is to test them on a balancing machine with and without them, but
much to my surprise they seem to work.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It's common in the Jeep world for folks to use the plastic Airsoft bb's and they work fine as long as the tire is round, if a tire is outta round they can't correct that. I've even run RV fresh water winterizing antifreeze in a set of Jeep tires before.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have used dynabeads quite a bit with the only problem being that as the miles rack up the beads pound themselves into a fine powder, that in large part evenly coats the inside of the tire. So, one time when replacing a front tire with 15k miles on it I carefully removed the remaining beads (and loose fragments/dust) and found that my original load of 2 ounces of beads had become just 1.1 ounces with any potential for dynamically balancing the tire.

In retrospect I realised that the tire had become gradually less well controlled at higher speeds, and took to incrementally adding beads (1/2 ounce or so at a time) as the miles racked up. Doing so did restore the dynabeads' performance...

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Max T said:
The tire doesn't spin fast enough or for long enough time on a balancer for the beads to work and as for his customer complaint if the tire is outta round the beads won't correct for that, in fact may make an outta round condition worse. If they break down and moisture gets in the tire clumping may occur causing a problem as well.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
MJR beat me to it...

Wrong piece of test equipment, one built for balancing fixed structure wheels/tires being used to test a dynamically balanced assembly. I suspect the wheel/tire was not spun up long enough for the dynabeads to reposition themselves. My experience has been that when first taking off a badly imbalanced tire can take 2 to 3 seconds to stabilize. On a less imbalanced wheel is is only 1/2 to 3/4 second.

This demonstration shows the time required for the beads to stabilize.

They do work. I use them when I am too lazy to balance a wheel manually and sometimes even when I have static balanced one.

The neat thing about the '03 400 rear wheel is that any tire shop can dynamically balance it:

If I could get the front wheel dynamically balanced at a shop around here I would likely not use the beads...

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
You get the same result when you try to balance a tire that has fix a flat in it on that kind of machine also.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wasted my money on them once. They rub the inside of the tire and become static charged, then evenly spread themselfs on the inside of the tire. I have used sand in truck tires with some success. It takes 5 minutes to get your tire balanced right. Buya good tire and balance it and it will treat you well.

·
Registered
630 Posts
MJR said:
It's common in the Jeep world for folks to use the plastic Airsoft bb's and they work fine as long as the tire is round, if a tire is outta round they can't correct that. I've even run RV fresh water winterizing antifreeze in a set of Jeep tires before.

I've run the Airsoft sniper BBs before (heavier, 2g I think). It seemed to work, at least on my old Kawi. The new Michelin front on the Burger would not balance with any amount--it needed conventional weights. The mechanic suggested the same thing, that the tire wasn't round.

·
Registered
585 Posts
MJR said:
Max T said:
The tire doesn't spin fast enough or for long enough time on a balancer for the beads to work and as for his customer complaint if the tire is outta round the beads won't correct for that, in fact may make an outta round condition worse. If they break down and moisture gets in the tire clumping may occur causing a problem as well.
It may be that the tire needed 2oz to balance and the guy only put in 1oz. The tire will still display an out of balance condition. A quick static balance to find out how much off your tire/rim assembly is may be helpful - add at least 1/2oz more than the out of balance measurement. If it takes 1.5oz to balance the tire and you put in 2oz the tire will self balance - the extra beads will distribute themselves around the tire - counteracting the imbalance they create. The problem with these beads will always be not adding enough to counteract the amount the tire is out of balance.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
knucklehead said:
It may be that the tire needed 2oz to balance and the guy only put in 1oz. The tire will still display an out of balance condition. A quick static balance to find out how much off your tire/rim assembly is may be helpful - add at least 1/2oz more than the out of balance measurement. If it takes 1.5oz to balance the tire and you put in 2oz the tire will self balance - the extra beads will distribute themselves around the tire - counteracting the imbalance they create. The problem with these beads will always be not adding enough to counteract the amount the tire is out of balance.
But putting weight in the tire you use less weight than on the rim because its further out on the tire/rim.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Dynabead company say use 2 oz. in front Burgman 650 tire, person believe mistake in chart that say 1 oz. but must put in 2 oz.

Here many use dynabead with very much success, not need longer again balance wheel/tire with weight at 4000-6000 kms after balance initially new tire.

Never have tire run as smooth and soft with weight as with Dynabead.

Purchase beads in large bag and make many small bag with large one, it cost less money.

It not possible for static charge ceramic beads !

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Chérie said:
It not possible for static charge ceramic beads !
Here's some information I found on this web site. http://www.staticsmart.com/esd-static-control-articles/conductors.php Apparently any insulator can be staticly charged.

staticsmart.com said:
Insulators
An insulator is a material such as plastic, rubber, glass or ceramic that prevents the flow or transfer of electricity. Insulative materials can not be grounded. Attaching a ground wire to an insulator would have no effect.

Insulative materials have a proclivity to either give-up or accept electrons. Rubbing insulative materials together, friction, or contacting and separating them generates a static charge. That charge results from the interchange of electrons between the two materials.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Thank you MJR for info, like many me surprise by this, always learning something.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts