Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you talk to the owner decide to meet at his place or at an agreed upon place.
do you take it to a mechanic or do you just test drive it, look it over yourself (with tools/no tools) and just pay and its done?

my thought would be to talk to a garage beforehand and setup a day to bring the bike in. this is after ive spoken to thebike owner and will meet him at the garage. over to the side, ill talk with the owner look it over and see receipts (most dont do know how to wrench) of maintenance they did to the bike. I will talk to the owner on the phone beforehand each time trying to see if theres potential to continue.

ill talk about price before I pay for the bike inspection face to face. guy is asking $4500 and I want to bring it down to $4200 and thats if there arent things that are CRITICAL to change now. wear is fine but if the part isnt good and I need to have it changed because it may break other parts and isnt within tolerance then im going to subtract that price. this is the part thats tough. because ultimately there will be 2 price negotiations. some may say firm but in this time, there are no buyers and im there with cash in hand. this isnt a scooter many are lining up to buy. the price may be low for the engine size but they get you on maintenance which most dont do themselves.

I ask the mechanic to hear the engine run and then test drive it before taking it in.I know most in the us just look it over, kick the tire and buy as they see it. which is a big risk.

curious on your thoughts of the above.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well I'm on my 7th bike, 4 were new, 3 used.

Two were ones that I researched the market value and specifically looked out for, then test drove after trying to get a feel of the previous owners sincerity. The Honda 160 was a quid pro quo.

This recent purchase of an '07 Suzuki AN650 was the result of a 3 year search of available Burgmans and Silverwings within a 50 mile radius.

Because of old-man-itis I could no longer throw my leg over the gold wing or back it up easily beside my wife refused to ride with me any more...she claimed I was too easily distracted. btw I deny that.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the feedback but you didnt tell me how you go about doing the deal? hahaha

"3 year search " you saw multiple bikes and waited 3 years for the right one? you had a different bike as well at the time?

my problem is setting things up. meaning, that hes flexible and I can get a lower initial price then what hes asking AND it looks in ok shape from my eyes AND sounds ok AND then getting the mechanic to check it AND connect them all smoothly to finish the deal.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
beside my wife refused to ride with me any more...she claimed I was too easily distracted. btw I deny that.
Sure you deny that....we all do 😜

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
29 Posts
s-steel the short story is the wife kept vetoing my scooter plans. Look, I'm no wuss and will buy what I want but 50 years of indentured service and taught me to pay attention or things turn to dreck.

Also last fall the VA put me on a keto-genic diet so I lost weight and my diabetes. She noticed the improvements to my health gave me her tacit approval.

DarisPakar

BWAAAAAAHAHAHA nice trim!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Must be my chinese. Im curious peoples technique for the whole deal. From meeting to riding away. Wheb you buy it

Im curious how people can decide without checking things like the variator inside to even compressiin. I could detail my scoot to make it look awesome but what about ubder the plastics where the mechanical parts are

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
I don't buy biles to ride a while and trade, I'ma keep mine till the wheels go square, so I always buy new, that kinda disqualifies me from this post, but my drunkneighbor has a habit of buying anything he has room for regardless if he can afford it or not, and the biggest thing i see with his problems is electronics and wiring, Were I to buy a used anything, it would have to have no knucklehead changing, ANYTHING electrical or wiring , not even splicing in a power port,

·
Registered
29 Posts
s-steel, well I took it for a test drive; did brake tests, observed for proper balance and I didn't notice any suspicious noises. The seller just had it in the shop for service/new tires/inspection. Sure there could be a problem down the road but that's true with anything. Also I flat out told the guy from the beginning that if we made a deal I'd want to borrow his plate to drive it home...and I did.

For only 2,800 I decided ...why not?

My situation is a little different than yours, this will not be my sole transportation. Also I don't plan any long trips. My intention is to drive it 12 miles a day, 6 days a week.

Also while I do indeed love cycling the novelty of just riding around for fun has left me many years ago.

My advise, what I would say to my son is that if you require transportation as a necessity for work, buy new, and buy the best. With the current mob rule, there is no law. The current reign of terror will eventually demand debt forgiveness. Sure there will be chaos but you'll have dependable transportation.

Anything else?

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
I buy mine from BUSA Classified Section.
Great knowledgeable sellers that fix stuff
just for fun.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
Welcome to the board 808,
Great advice and some ugly truth in between the lines.

Reactions: 808

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
s-steel ,

You may want to consider a new B200 ?

Rusty J , just did a nice write up of what it’s application would be good for.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why do you keep suggesting bikes im not interested in?

id rather buy a sym joyride 200 if anything as I know how to do maintenance on that already

maxsym 600 or b400 and Im not expecting to find a good b400 at a good price with low miles.

it seems to have an opposite effect this covid. because people need money they overprice their bikes. and it sits. day after day for months bumping the ads day after day. spoke to a guy who priced his way too high. 8 months he hasnt found a buyer. well duh. corona time, people are not spending and you turned buyers off with a starting price thats way too high.
market value sells for $1400 less then book value. and youre losing money each month.

ill find one. shame. I have money in hand now. but im already suffering for so long with an ebike that im not giving up on getting EXACTLY what I want and this c19 is the time.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
why do you keep suggesting bikes im not interested in?

id rather buy a sym joyride 200 if anything as I know how to do maintenance on that already

maxsym 600 or b400 and Im not expecting to find a good b400 at a good price with low miles.

it seems to have an opposite effect this covid. because people need money they overprice their bikes. and it sits. day after day for months bumping the ads day after day. spoke to a guy who priced his way too high. 8 months he hasnt found a buyer. well duh. corona time, people are not spending and you turned buyers off with a starting price thats way too high.
market value sells for $1400 less then book value. and youre losing money each month.

ill find one. shame. I have money in hand now. but im already suffering for so long with an ebike that im not giving up on getting EXACTLY what I want and this c19 is the time.
Sorry Bub,
After reading Rusty J, write up I thought maybe a B200 would fit your riding needs. By going with the B200 I thought it might be in your budget to make a down payment and ride off on a new scooter.

Still rooting for a winner for ya !

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would never ever, in my life (ever) buy from a dealer. ever, never. they are thieves. notice a theme of me not trusting anyone? I absolutely hate dealers and salesmen and garages.

you recommend the 650 and then the 200. I would never buy the 650 unless I had another VERY reliable mode of transportation. I just think of a receipt I saw someone pay for the cvt repair, and Im already white from fear and have to run use the bathroom. I neber saw such a repair bill like that before. and the problem is you cant even open it up to check. and ironic how theyre all selling at 50-70000km hmm I wonder why. it is my fantasy bike but probably my worst nightmare when the cvt goes. if I was like Dave or Maccecht, I would feel confident in a purchase.

what I also noticed is maintenance is so expensive that they forego it and do it at intervals later than oem says. this I kknow when I speak to them on the phone and hence why im having a hard time finding something with all the right variables.

it would be a huge hit to my (already pretty bruised from taking public transportation and ebike) self esteem to go down to a 200cc scooter. I would be embarrassed to even park it at home.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
I’ve never met Rusty J but he seems to be one of the more mentally healthy here.....a 200cc hasn’t damaged his psyche and if you ask me it shows wisdom in action. Can you get where you need to get at 115 kmh ?

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
Driving in Cyprus, traffic drives on the left.
The maximum speed limit on motorways is 100 km/h (60 mph) and the lower speed limit is 65 km/h. On most other roads the limit is 80 kmph (50 mph) and 50 kmph (30 mph) in built-up areas.
So yes a Burgman 200 will go anywhere on the island, But, the maçoluk / μηχανισμός (machismo) not so much.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
I keep telling him to get married and have kids....then let him deal with mama-mizmo 😱

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hardly pushed 120 on the 400.i always drove conservative. Yes Rusty is very sharp and sane

I cant see myself going to a 200 only because i had a 200 for many years. Its like going from an accord to a jazz. Jazz is a good car but I like the larger body size. The comfort of stretching my legs out. The large seat. I cant go back.
Look at the usa. Some would not even be seen on a scooter. I love scooters. Even if its the grand 650
I dont want a smaller scooter again. I woupdnt mind to have one as a spare bike which I may do. Its that or rebuild the 400.which would be great to ride again. Obviously it would be the cheaper investment. It would be great to have 2 maxi scooters
I hope to find a scooter this week. 🙏🙏🙏

·
Registered
29 Posts
s-steel if I wanted to avoid repair bills on a used MC I'd confine my search to the big 3 Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha...and look to buy from a more mature rider that bought the MC new.

Even if you have a repair...you still have a quality ride.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have money in hand, all of a sudden all potential bikes disappeared from the classifieds. for weeks and weeks they were there.

and some douchebag got me hyped up. wrote maxsym 600, I coime to find the post to call, its missing, says its a 400. dammit!!!!
now a 2016 b400 in white not my favorite color. has been toppled over some breaks scratches I might fix myself. 19000miles. well see.
id rather find a 2012 for low miles than a newer one. they are all the same and it just bumps the book value for no reason. and besides there are no good colors to choose from its only white or matte black and both I dont like. and the blue headlight trim is hideous. why not make it puke color with pink stripes

1 - 20 of 25 Posts