Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Getting a lot of buzz. Honda reliable. I don't like the DCT but the paddle shift works well and apparently there are selectable ranges ...not sure how that works.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Ditto to most of the comments. It can be done, but I wouldn't plan on it as a regular mode of transport.
+1

It can definitely be done, but the Burgmans are no dirt-bikes.
I had to do it few times loaded up on my 650 (tool-kit, machine parts, and laptop) to get to one of our customers where the last 0.5 mile or so is a severely rutted dirt road. Not my idea of fun, but never came close to putting it down.
My ST handles the trip better, if not the luggage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
can be done

I have not gone too far on gravel on my 650 but the 30 or so mile I did ride it did as well as my dl1000v-strom but not as well s my r1100gs bmw. as long as it isn't too rough or it isn't muddy its not too hard.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
One thing I forgot to add earlier....the TMAX does a lot better on gravel than the Reflex does. I think it is the bigger wheels/tires that makes the difference.

·
Registered
630 Posts
+1 in general to the comments. The Big Burg is more capable on gravel roads than you would expect, especially given the wheels and suspension. Once the gravel is scattered off, washboards and ruts make life difficult. Mud and sand definitely ends the party. Encountered everything but the sand on one road, with a blind 30 degree downhill left turn thrown in for good measure. Pretty sure I stopped breathing until I hit crumbling pavement again. That was a rarely travelled road too, scenic but a long way from help.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Having not read any of the posts to taint my reply to the original post:

I Hate Gravel Roads on my Burgman but they can be done.

First - Never ever use the front brake....You will dump the scooter!
Second - Let the handlebars move with the gravel and don't try to over power it. Hold it firmly but let it do the "Gravel wobble" it wants to.
Lastly - Plan and look far ahead so you don't have to start or stop abruptly.

Good Luck and Happy Scootering!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I will be moving to West Texas in a few weeks and there is a house in the country I have my eye on but noticed the long driveway was a gravel road. However, I have had to ride down a few before at a slow pace and its not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A Different Path

So... in my intro piece I mentioned that I'd been involved in a pretty severe crash two years ago with an inattentive cager when he made an illegal U-turn in front of me.

And that's why I was considering a Burgman instead of another 'true' motorcycle.

But 'the plan' didn't really change too much. I still want to travel the west and ride the small roads, especially along the old Oregon Trail in the various states from Missouri on through Idaho. Ya see, my ancestors came west in 1853 in a covered wagon and I've got a hankering to travel as close as possible to their route.

And I know that there will be more than a few gravel roads, some sand and some water crossings here and there.

So... I abandoned the idea of a Burgman and went back with a nice BMW GS instead.

Yes, it's big, top heavy and unwieldy, but it's a proven bike that, properly equipped, will handle everything that my scrawny butt can throw at it.

So... Thanks one and all for your valuable insights and I appreciate the friendly welcome I've had here on BUSA. But... I'm gonna bail and go back to the ADVrider forum where talkin' 'bout GS's ain't quite such a foreign language.

Y'all be good to one another, ya hear?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Nice ride but you want Heidenaus on it for your off pavement adventures.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I rode 35 miles of open range roads in Kansas (on accident) there were even legit switchbacks. Forded 8 streams and it was ok, not optimum. It took me almost 2 hours to go 35 miles, but I was checking google maps quite a bit looking for paved ways out.

Then the other day I'm turning off paved onto a dirt road to turn around, had someone on my tail so I turned shorter than I wanted too, ended up dropping it in the deep gravel of the shoulder. That sucked. Totally my fault, I was videoing speed/tach comparisons after DPS conversion and was turning/braking with a cellphone in my left hand. Too stupid/lazy to setup the GoPro that day.

I also rode some packed gravel "mountain" roads in Southern Indiana. No problems other than the washboard ride and all the noisy tupperware.

But normally I'm not afraid of gravel. Deeper than 1" of sand sucks though.

Kansas Open Range riding:

10422475_10206245989622761_548254311308790876_n (1).jpg

11695864_10206245987142699_4429930438976025214_n.jpg

Southern Indiana:

11202588_10206023502500722_4063765618652878834_n.jpg

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
As your in my area - try this road

Go from colfax to iowa hill nice paved but great switchbacks road - then yankee jims road to forest Hill - that becomes gravel up and down hills too - to make it fun

I did that road on my 650 and on my FJR - both - have fun

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Does Banos Morales translate to Crazy Mofo? Because riding a B400 through the Andes (?) is definitely Crazy Mofo territory. Got a little jittery watching you take that sketchy bridge. :eek

·
Registered
175 Posts
I rather avoid gravel and dirt roads but sometimes you don't have a choice. On a couple lets go hear trips I ran into that and found that patience was all that is needed to ride on gravel. If someone gets too close then slow down. When they back off go back to the speed you feel good at. If they have an issue they can always turn off or go around. Never allow others to intimidate you into going faster than you feel confident that you are able to drive at.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can the ABS be turned off?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts