Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is doing around 63-65 in city driving (rush hour traffic) during the first 300 mile (still in the break-in period).

I do not have any additional accessaries installed to my burg 400 yet.

Did your MPG overall improved after the break-in?

Also I would like to know how many miles you can go from your Burg's full tank level to the point where the gas meter reaches empty level (at the bottom of the red gauge)?

Mine seems to go about 160-170 miles when the gas meter reaches to empty level from full level, and I assume that I still have about 0.8 gallons left in the tank since I can fill her up with 2.6 gallon.

One more question.
Did you ever try to find out how many miles you can go with your Burg with full tank of gas to totally emptied it and made it stop?
Or Best mpg you recorded?

I read some article about some people recorded over 100 mpg with Toyota Prius. I wonder how they did it..?

By the way, I paid $2.96 per Gallon at a gas station in Alexandria, VA today.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mileage

I get about 62-66. I wish I knew how these guys are getting 70+. My driving is mostly city, but I've had it on the road with the same mileage. I'm not complaining, but is my motor not up to snuff?

I have 2200 miles, one service at 600. Tires are properly inflated.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Burgman 400 gas mileage

Got about 74 mpg taking "Mr. Burgman" home from the dealer(with 1 mile on the odometer) for the first tank.
Got 66 mpg around town on my second tank. No accessories( that would effect gas mileage installed). I do a bit of highway 5 min and 5 min streets on my short commutes to work.

Still working on my third tank of gas. Just passed 300 miles on the odometer. Starting to think of the 600 mile check coming up. Have yet to run the tank "all the way down" . But have filled to within 1 gal of empty. 2.7 gal is the most i've filled.

Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
506 Posts
Gas Mileage B400

My machine now has 3,000+miles on it & I get a very consistent 70mpg plus/minus 1.5mpg. Doesnt seem to make much difference how hard I ride it, though I have a fairly gentle throttle hand, and weigh maybe 175lbs max suited up to ride. Acceleration from stop is mostly at about 4500rpm. Most down-the-road riding is at 5,000rpm plus/minus just 300rpm.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Guess I just got the wrong model 400. the best I have ever seen was 59 mpg and that was once.
My average over 25,000 miles has been 52.67 mpg
B U T
I carry over 270 lbs. in rider & weight :?
I try to never get beaten at a stop sign or light :D
83 indicated for over 50 percent of the mileage :eek:
Up till a few months ago always had a large Givi windshield :(

I am sure I could get much better mileage, mid to upper 60's if I were to try.
And at 9 dollars for a fill up yesterday I am thinking about trying :x

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Hi everyone,

I guess my burg's mpg is about average (63-65) like WH based on your inputs and information obtained from other articles.

I wonder how some rider (like mgreenfield) gets over 70 mpg consistently.
I weigh about 165, so very close to mgreenfield, and have gentle throttle hand, too.

It seems like some Burg 400 comes out with better mpg than others.

Do you have the tire pressure in higher side of the spec like F30/R40?

What about default RPM when your Burg is at idle mode?

I made ajdustment on intake valve and set my default PRM to around 1300, which is lowest side of default setting (when I took her out from dealer, the default PRM was about 1400), but does not seem like it helps.

With my experience with motorcyle shits, I noticed that Burg 400 does a little bit of engine braking, and also when aproaching to a stop light under low rpm, it starts to cruise with idle rpm and goes extra distance, which seems like saving a gas.

If you have any tips on how to stretch your mpg, please let us know.

Also if you think you have the best mpg with your Burg400 among us, please let us know!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Hi,

I've only read the 70 mpg as the high end in this forum.

My 400 ("BB") has 550 miles on it and I've been getting 61-66mpg. My first tank was my best (73mpg) and that has me wondering...not being a mechanic, I would be open to any and all suggestions as to asking the shop how to tweak the rig for my 600 mile check up.

BTW- 175lbs., not fast off the stops, mostly town driving but I open it up (70-80mph) about once a week on the highway either to or from work (10 miles), tires seem fine...

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I was getting viciously bad gas mileage on my 400 - 39 MPG. I added the Laminar lip last week and it appears to have climbed - not much, it appears to be averaging 46-48 MPG, but it's nice to see it improving. My home commute is directly into a 15-20mph wind seemingly every day. I am sure this was contributing to the bad mileage. The lip sure helped me - it now drives much of that wind that was buffeting me over my head. My 600 Mile service is in a few weeks and I have heard that gas mileage improves as the bike is broken in. 8)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage B400

mgreenfield said:
My machine now has 3,000+miles on it & I get a very consistent 70mpg plus/minus 1.5mpg. Doesnt seem to make much difference how hard I ride it, though I have a fairly gentle throttle hand, and weigh maybe 175lbs max suited up to ride. Acceleration from stop is mostly at about 4500rpm. Most down-the-road riding is at 5,000rpm plus/minus just 300rpm.
Thats mostly how I drive and I get the same MPG. I generally stay 65 MPH or less...I don't do Jack Rabbit Starts and try to Time the lights so I don't have to put my Foot down.

I've gotten Pretty Good at keeping Balanced and moving in a Straight Line at on 2-3 MPH.

I actually make a Game of "NoFoot" if I have to drive the 25 Odd Miles across Orlando on SR 50 through 75 odd Traffic Signals....I try to make the Trip without ever coming to a Stop and having to Brace the Bike up with a Foot...Timing Lights and Watching my Following Distances.

I seem to be able to accomplish it about Once a Month.

I also use Mid-Grade (89 Octane) Fuel.

I know that in my Chevy PIUP with a V-8 I get about 50 more miles per Tank of Fuel if I use Mid-Grade or Premium instead of Regular.

My Burgman gets Indigestion on Premium with the MPG actually dropping a little.

If I use Regular it seems to run a little rough though the MPG is better than with Premium.

Mid-Grade smoothed out the Motor and I get my best MPG using it.

IMO its a combination of things...and the Flat Terrain of Florida I'm sure has an effect as well.

~ Roland

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Burgman 400 gas mileage

<<<... Starting to think of the 600 mile check coming up...>>>
You'll know when its due...the Oil Change light will come on at 600 Miles on the Dot...then when its reset the little on-board computer won't turn it on again till you've done 3600.

Theres a way to change the Mileage interval so it comes on when you want it too...too lazy to look it up right now.}:~D

~ R }:~D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To GeGe Lan

Hi GeGe Lan,

Thanks about your Tips on getting better mileage.

I agree with you about mid grade Gas to get a smoother ride and better mileage.

I used to use mid grade gas to my Suzuki Intruder 800, and seems to have a better mileage with it.

So I will try using mid grade to my Burg next time, and let you know how it comes up.

So far, I filled tank 3 times with regular, and got between 61 to 64 ranges.

I am curious what type of engine oil other riders use for their AN400 Burgs.

I use Mobile 5000 10W-40 as I used it for the Intruder (same oil specification for Burg and Intruder)

Here is the link of what Mobile says about the oil for motorcycle.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot ... aspx#FAQs7

Here is the actual statement to save your time:
Can I use Mobil Clean 5000 in my motorcycle or my boat engine?
If your four-cycle motorcycle or boat engine calls for an API SM, SL, SJ, SH or SG rated oil, you can use Mobil Clean 5000.

:eek:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: To GeGe Lan

I use Shell Rotella 15w-40.

Suzuki lists a whole range of permissible weights of oil for the Burgmans...they seem to base the list on Ambient Outside Temperature...lower the Ambient the thinner the oil your allowed to use.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Burgman gas Regular or Mid-grade??

My B400 is one month old and I've been using "regular" 87 octane from the first day..I've been getting 60+ MPG

I read the "Owner's Manual" and it states: "Your motorcycle requires regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump octane rating of 87".

Today I am reading in the service manual ( just got one ) in the section on fuel and oil specs that "gasoline used should be graded 91 octane or higher"

I guess my next fill up will be the mid-grade...

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
concerned about 'poor' gas milage

I only have about 350 miles on it so far, but my MPG is only about 48-50. I'm 160 lbs. and my driving has been mostly city stop & go. I'm keeping my revs between 4000-5000, and while I'm not jack-rabbiting off the line, I do move out at a nice clip. My scoot doesn't start to move until I hit 2800 rpms, and seems to run rough until I'm going at least 30 mph. I'm hoping that my 600 check will cure all ills. Do I have anything to be concerned about? :?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Jeff_MDR and congrats on your new scoot!

I am only a few miles from the 600 mile service. When I first got the 400, I did a LOT of practice starts, turns, braking, low-speed turns, etc. and I got about 51 mpg. After that, I started to drive on the back roads (very little traffic). Now I am commuting to work with a few stops and am averaging 65-68 mpg. These scoots are very susceptible to the way we drive. I have heard that after the 600 mile service, the mpg suddenly drops for a while. I wonder if its not because we are more free to rev the RPM's and accelerate more quickly :happy7:

It is normal for the scooter to run a little rough under 30 mph. It's not the engine but the way the clutch and the cvt work. I have noticed that it seems better the more miles I have on it but it is still there. Over 30 mph, it's not noticable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi jeff_MDR,

Yes, like DigiNut other members said, I guess the way we drive counts on large porion of mileage figures.

If you want to know your Burg's highway or smooth ride mileage, you can do the following tes.
Fill your Burg up, and run on no stop-and-go places for this weekend, and come back to your gas station and fill her up again, check the miles and gas comsumption, and calculate your mileage.
(like 30 miles with 0.5 gallon used = 60 mpg)

If that numbers does not reach to 60 something, maybe something is wrong with your Burg's setting.

Also what is your Burg's idle rpm?

Mine is between 1300 and 1500 now as manual says, but was running over 1400 most of time at idle mode, so I made an adjustment by myself following the manual's instruction (P7-10 idle speed adjustment). :wink:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I average 57.8 with a standard deviation of 2.5 over 3534 miles since new. My peak was 66.6 and my worst was 51.5 (that day I found out the bike will just about do 100 MPH indicated, but doesn't cruise very nicely over 80). I ride around 140 miles/day round trip, mostly on the highway, and I'm about 6'2" / 200 lbs. My average dropped down to about 55 MPG during a period where I felt compelled to run closer to 80-85MPH indicated, but having gotten a speeding ticket last week (in the car) and seeing the gas prices go up, I've slowed back down to about 65-70 indicated (in a 55 MPH zone) and I've gotte 57-58 consistantly. I do accelerate agressively (considering it's a scooter, anyway - it's not capable of what I'd call real "agressive" acceleration), and I generally have to pass someone two or three times on the highway per day (usually different people). Cruising up to 75MPH on the interstate doesn't seem to have an effect on mileage. 150 miles and 2.7 gallons are my maximum distance traveled and amount fileld up, respectively.

Yes, I'm a geek, and I did write a full-blown web application using a RDBMS data store to track my mileage and services. So?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Gas mileage on Burgman 400!

I sure can't figure out why I cannot top 59 miles per gallon! I usually get between 55 and 59. I drive conservatively, and start conservatively. I live in the country and drive about 10 miles to town, warm up my scooter for about five minutes, or until the engine temperature needle gauge starts to move. The only thing that I can think of is: to get home I drive about 1 mile up a steep hill. I do use regular gasoline. I have about 1500 miles on the odometer. A mechanic checked all settings at 600. I'm wondering if I broke in the engine correctly... Before it reached 600, I used it in my motorcycle training course which meant some engine idling before my turn to perform. Any thoughts and suggestions or thoughts would be welcome! Bob

·
Registered
346 Posts
On every other bike I've had, I got the high end of average owner mileage. With this one, I'm getting mid-50s. Mostly freeway.

Hrm.

Bob, short rides are hard on gas mileage. 10 miles is short. The gauge is coolant temp, not oil temp, and oil optimal temp usually follows coolant optimal temp. Idling won't get it there; you need trips of duration.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts