Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It reads about 9% higher than actual (GPS-measured) speed at all speeds. This is a conscious decision by Suzuki. Most scooter manufacturers do likewise; there are rare exceptions but you'll never see one that reads low on a stock bike (due to regulations).

Rusty J - I don't mean this to sound insulting, but I suck at NOT sounding insulting. I worked as an engineer in automotive for a long time. Never did electronics though. And I can say, from all my experience, there's a reason behind the inaccuracy. 9 times out of 10 it has to do with $ (or Yen in this case). My guess is there is some component(s) of the speedometer system that is carryover from some other bike, or several other bikes. And the conscious decision was to save money and carry it over, even if it is not so accurate.

All - Yes, I wear a helmet. I didn't mention it as it is required in GA and to me a helmet and 2 wheels go together like peanut butter and jelly. I bought a modular helmet. And yeah, sure, the modular is going to be louder, I get that. At any rate, when I ducked behind the screen I was in Nirvana. Steve's windshield looks interesting. Because it is not as big as a barn door (like I had mentioned) and seems to get the job done via shape and technology, versus being HUGE. I will be researching.

However, I'm not certain I'm going to commit the money, as my romance with my Burgman right now is low. Our relationship is on the rocks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
When i has my Majesty 125 i has an integral helmet... one of the best made in Italy. Geez, it was LOUD!.

One day a driver, while parking his car, tippled my scooter, breaking the windshield. I had to drive without it for a week and IT WAS A PARADISE! No wind noise, i was able to hear the engine, the wheels rolling, the plastic squeaking....
If not for the force perceived on the shoulders (and the fatigue of my back muscles to counter it) i would have kept it without windshield.

So you could try to get a smaller one to see if it could keep the turbolence out of your helmet.

·
Super Moderator
880 Posts
Rusty J - I don't mean this to sound insulting, but I suck at NOT sounding insulting. I worked as an engineer in automotive for a long time. Never did electronics though. And I can say, from all my experience, there's a reason behind the inaccuracy. 9 times out of 10 it has to do with $ (or Yen in this case). My guess is there is some component(s) of the speedometer system that is carryover from some other bike, or several other bikes. And the conscious decision was to save money and carry it over, even if it is not so accurate.

All - Yes, I wear a helmet. I didn't mention it as it is required in GA and to me a helmet and 2 wheels go together like peanut butter and jelly. I bought a modular helmet. And yeah, sure, the modular is going to be louder, I get that. At any rate, when I ducked behind the screen I was in Nirvana. Steve's windshield looks interesting. Because it is not as big as a barn door (like I had mentioned) and seems to get the job done via shape and technology, versus being HUGE. I will be researching.

However, I'm not certain I'm going to commit the money, as my romance with my Burgman right now is low. Our relationship is on the rocks.
Hate to see the romance over so soon. The Burgman is a great bike and losing a body panel was a fault of someone at a dealership or an owner who removed the panel and did not install it correctly. Give it some more time. I think you will find to be a really good all around bike that has been far under rated by many other riders. The Givi windshield is the way I am going on mine when I get home. Bigger than stock and still looks good. Form with function. I've been riding for a long time and think the same about wearing a helmet when I ride. If I am on the bike and it is moving, I will have a helmet on.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
you are missing the Lower Frame Cover.

Tupperware - Lower Frame Cover

once you get the replacement piece, zip tie it in place on the sides instead of using the small push pins.

as for the wind noise, you can either get a taller windshield or a wind deflector.
I made my own, check this DIY for some inspiration

DIY - Windshield Wind Deflector

as for comfort, push the lumbar support on the seat all the way back, if you still can't get comfy, it may be time to think about
doing some seat mods.
I am 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam and 32 waist and the seat fits me perfectly with great leg extension / room.

mpg will vary from scoot to scoot and rider to rider, but if you are averaging 40-50 mpg around town and 50+ on the highway or rides with few stops and gos you are doing ok

·
Administrator
18,407 Posts
I have flown a Suzuki GS750 around the greater Augusta GA/Akin SC areas for 2 years. The winds can get hairy at times. I had a full Cafe' fairing and made changes to the windshield and it helped some.

Too bad you can't find a local Burgman rider that has a tall Clearview with vent for you to try. I think that would fix your angst on the noise.

Seat can be fixed some what. I removed the butt stop and bought a Gel Foam seat pad from Walmart and this was my fix for a long time. But my current 650 has a customized seat that is deeper, wider and much softer. It has a 'Farm Tractor' seat shape bucket to it. A little known secret is how nice a Farm Tractor UN-PADDED seat can be so comfortable for hours of plowing fields.

My 2008 got an average of 52 MPG using Auto mode in everyday commuting in stop and go traffic where we'd get up to 70 MPH for 2 miles and then stop and go for 3 miles and again 70 MPH ...... But on a long ride with member Daboo I locked it into 6th OD and went for at 80-85 indicated for 110 miles, gassed up and then another 125 miles at 70 MPH. I got a high of 58 MPG for the first leg and 59 MPG for the second leg. This was with two Mountain passes to climb on leg one too and 1 pass on leg two.

Check your tire pressures. Most of us have found that running 5 PSI higher than the sticker in the trunk works best for a couple reasons. The front tires have a bad habit of 'Cupping'. The extra pressure seems to help. And the lower rolling resistance gives a bit better gas mileage. The trade off is a bit rougher ride.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I did two track days on an Exec (and looking at a third, this summer). These are about 90 - 100 miles, done with the Power button on, and consume nearly a full tank. So that's about 25 mpg or so.

Most of my normal riding I get mid 40s.

Keep in mind that wind resistance increases as a square of the speed, e.g., twice the speed, four times the wind resistance. So you wanna go fast, you have to pay to play, hard to circumvent physics.

And @Dave_J, that's "Aiken." I used to eat lunch often over there, while goofing off, er, stationed, at Ft. Gordon.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Administrator
18,407 Posts
Bill, my keyboard has a problem of skipping letters. N,n, I, i and h,H seem to be the worst.

I too was at Ft Gordon, three times in my 20 years. First was 1974 Advanced Pole climbing (36C), Tower (36D) and Telephone AIT. Second was 1984-1987 as a SSG Drill instructor for Switchboard and Pole climbers. Last was 1991 for BNCOC for 31F30. I had a school date for ANCOC (31W40) in 1994 but I took retirement first.

These are from my Suzuki GS750 at a little drag strip outside of Aiken SC. It was geared for more top end so the E.T. was not so well but 13's are not bad.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I too was at Ft Gordon, three times in my 20 years. First was 1974 Advanced Pole climbing (36C), Tower (36D) and Telephone AIT. Second was 1984-1987 as a SSG Drill instructor for Switchboard and Pole climbers. Last was 1991 for BNCOC for 31F30. I had a school date for ANCOC (31W40) in 1994 but I took retirement first.
I coasted out my four-year enlistment there, in '71-'72 (having spent most of my time in W. Berlin). We could swap war stories, but that would monopolize the forum.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hopefully I can remember a few things that have been mentioned.

• Tires: It has 2 rather new looking BattleAxe tires on it.
  • Tire Pressure: I checked and adjusted before I took the trip. They were both very low. I ran them to 33 psi front and 41 psi rear. From my memory … or whatever the book says.
  • Tires; Ride and Handling: I have no issue with the tires. Maybe somewhat aggressive for a scooter, as I ran BattleAxes from time to time on my road racebike (ZX6-R) on the track. I will be studying up on the dark-side … but I can't say if at this time I'll own the bike long enough to wear out these tires. I'm just not sure.
  • Windshield: I realize the right shield will make a big difference. If I keep El Burgo I a new screen is a must.
    • Some years ago I had a H-D SuperGlide 1450. Horrible. No go, no stop, no leaning without dragging. This was the first bike I owned after selling my racebike, so I was biased. It had a mini screen on it from the P.O. It was the worst windscreen ever produced on the face of the planet. Took that sucker off, and the ride was heavenly … at least in a straight line.
  • Seat / Comfort: I have no issue with the seat, or the comfort OF THE SEAT. Yeah, the rear bumper gets a bit sore from sitting in the same spot for long periods of time, but it's not excessively bad or anything. And I do have room to move around a bit. The lumbar is already all the way back.
    • A back rest would probably make this thing feel like sitting on a sofa. A backrest will be procured.
    • A full-fledged cruise control from the factory on this bike would be THE BOMB. But a throttle lock would suffice. As my right hand was hurting. Normal on every bike I've ever had under those circumstances, so nothing bad about El Burgo.
  • Cupholder: I saw a video of a snazzy cup holder added to the bike. But later when riding the bike I got to thinking … if I had a drink, more than likely it's going to be a coke bottle with a lid. How am I going to get that lid off while moving? The only time I could take a drink would be when I was sitting still. That kind of makes it nearly valueless to me, not completely, but nearly.
  • Phone holder: It would be nice to have powered phone holder, but I can live without it.
  • Aiken: I procured 'my little pony' from Aiken metro, south side.
  • MPG: Anyone who can get 58-59 mpg doing an indicated 80-85 mph (which is what I was doing), must have had a tailwind both directions! Mine yielded 47.2 mpg, hand measured. The display read about 4 mpg lower than what I hand measured. So, 58-59 mpg to me sounds … fuzzy.
  • My racebike 600 cc ZX6-R would run in the low 11's in the 1/4 mile. My 72 Plymouth Scamp, I'm tuning the heck out of it until I can get it to run a 13.99 in the quarter mile. Then the fun stuff shall commence. I could hit 13.99 now if I could stop it from friggin vapor locking.
  • Blacktruck: You are right. And I will give it more time. At the local BMX track, people refer to me as Blue Truck. Due to of course my big Blue Dodge Ram. It has a blue camper top (to keep the bmx stuff dry and unstolen), and inside the camper top I installed blue LED light strips on its inside ceiling. Maximum Blueness!
7milesout

·
Administrator
18,407 Posts
I think you have some good advces and plans above so for a slight thread drift, I can talk Mopar too.

<<< See my Avatar picture. I have 7 Mopars here. I have a 68 Dart 270 in the garage. A 0.030" over 1978 318 Cop car block that has IH stamped on it (International Harvester foundry). Fully ported 5.2L Magnum heads with Manley 1.94" intake and 1.60 Eh Valves. Magnum heads require using AMC 360's 0.904" lifters with the pushrod oiling system and hollow pushrods too. Lite pistons, Eagle H con rods and wrist pins allowed 6 pounds to be cut/balanced out of the 273 Forged crank. Mancini Oil passage drill out for better main bearing oiling. Isiah Johnson oil scraper and windage tray in the oil pan. Special A999 version of a A904 trans. Chassis mods are rear springs moved into the frame, Hemi Dart Torque boxes, Frame connectors, Gussited front cross member, 4.10:1 SureGrip, CalTrac's, Foose Mustang wheels with a 245/50 18 up front and 315/45 20 in the rear. Revs to 7200 RPM. It Dyno'ed at 425 HP and will get daylight under the front tires.

On the Vapor lock issue, I did this to many 440 powered Class A motorhomes that were over heating and Vapor locking. A open Eldebrock air cleaner sure looks fancy but why suck up all that hot air from under the hood??? Try to find a dual snorkel sealed air cleaner. Then using two floor register boxes, YES house floor duct register boxes are rectangle and stiff, and some 4" dryer vent pipe that you can flex and expand to connect the snorkel to the register boxes that are just under the front bumper. Not real ram air but cool air intake.

Another mod requires a vapor return line to the tank. A small 1/4 inch line will work. Then using a 1978-1980's Dodge Omni 2.2 carb's fuel filter that has a small third line tap, connect that to the return line as that is a vapor return to combat Vapor lock on those cars. AND as LITTLE rubber fuel line as possible. Exhaust exiting under the car will heat up the fuel lines and tank too, do some 45 degree header collectors or after the mufflers to blow the exhaust out to the side away from the fuel tank.

My time slips for my bike was 1984 and was quick for a street bike that was setup for Autobahn running as I had just returned from a 4 year Stuttgart Germany assignment. It would top speed run at 135 MPH but I flew it around Germany at 125 MPH most days. I am looking for my 1971 Harley 1200 Drag bikes time slips. It was an 8.90 second quarter mile bike running on 75% Methonal/20% Nitromethaine/5% racing gasoline. It dd a couple 8.50's 1/4's but I got kicked off the track for that. Too fast for Southern IHRA boys. ;) Somewhere I still have the $200 10"x 18"x3/4" Titanium plate for the rear piston 'stop' so it would not take my head and chest out if the engine let go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
LOL, that's the exact piece I lost myself a couple of weeks ago. Cheap plastic hooks and two fasteners would be enough to hold it on normally, but in the absence of any of those, away she goes.

Good thing is and although expensive, exact paint matches from the factory are readily available if nothing shows up on an ebay search.

*Edit. I think Dave J mentioned the clearview shield with vent and as best as I can tell, that's the one I have. I'm not a big fan of looking through a windshield on a motorcycle and have always preferred looking over one, but that tall shield does eliminate virtually all wind noise and even makes open shield (full face helmet) riding entirely doable and quite pleasant actually. With that shield, you really are fully protected from the elements. Even your hands will feel no wind because of the way the shield comes down and flares out right by the mirrors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm new here so I may be out of place saying this, but I don't think the op said anything about 140 mpg. What he said was ~140 miles each way. There is no way I would gripe about getting 140 mpg. &#55357;&#56833;

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Guys - I ordered another plastic piece from a somewhat local dealer. Meaning local to my son who is in college and he is bringing it to me tonight. I'm going to use all the original fasteners, plus zip ties and superglue. I may even run a 10 or 20 sheet metal screws through it. That might hold it on. I'll say, I've not had one comment from anyone mentioning it. It almost looks like it is supposed to be that way.

And yeah, 140 MILES each way. Not 140 mpg. On fuelly I'm averaging 45.9 mpg. Seems nominal. The bike would be fine if sheeat would discontinue hitting the eject button, and I could figure out the problem with the ABS system (don't even reply on that, plenty other threads available for the ABS).

7mileout

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Update - I received the new replacement part. When I went to install the replacement part, I was confused as to how the replacement part was supposed to slide up into the rectangular grommet in the center upper of the neighboring part. And then I realized, the square grommet was broken off from the previous part (that ejected), and still attached to the center upper of the neighboring part! So I pulled off the broken bit with the grommet from the upper part. Then I pulled the rectangular grommet off that broken bit and assembled it to the replacement part.

It went together easy from that point. Of course I then realized 3 things: 1. I'm sure glad that grommet was stuck on the upper part, or I would not have had a grommet … and may not have realized that there was supposed to be a grommet. 2. That this is a large part of why the previous part was so loose and ejected (that tab with the grommet was broke off). And 3. the P.O. or more likely the P.O.'s dealership broke this piece taking it off.

I zip-tied the replacement part at the bottom holes too. So, it is grommeted back together correctly, and zip-tied. The part will not be ejecting itself any time soon.

And it looks purdy again too.

7milesout

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
That is why you are better off doing all the work you can yourself instead of relying on the break_it_ for_ you_ ship.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That bit of plastic is notorious for absconding. Held in by two plastic pop rivets and some brittle plastic hooks into the front panels. Suzuki ballsed up here -- it should have been impossible for this to come off before the upper panel comes off -- they made it the other way round :/
I broke one plastic hook off so there is a gap between the lower piece and upper. I changed the plastic pop rivets to J-nuts and 6mm body bolts, ain't going anywhere. I've done this at:devil several places.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When it comes to getting out of the wind blast
Slouching beats crouching
With the stock 03 windshield, shimming the floating mount that the windshield screws to with some big stainless flat washers raised the turbulence up a couple of inches. The idea is to move the top edge forward maybe 3/4" or so
I too have a tall torso & even with a tall givi shield, When I sit up tall the top of my head is in the turbulence enough to flow air through the vents
I can wear a helmet without a shield & just sunglasses without my eyes drying out

The windshield was off when I bought the bike, old school fun around town

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Mine similar piece from my 400, flew off on the highway. Luckily I heard it. Drove a bit till I realized and ran back to pickup.

So ordered more white plastic clips and epoxy glued them on the tabs of the tupperware while I used fiberglass strands and mat to fix the crack from a car running it over. No way in heck is it causing such a (noticeablr) degrade in performance/mpg/wind noise.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts