Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Read through this thread, then check the picture out. And beat me until my mind is right. I'm not too happy with the Burgman. I took my first long trip this weekend, to my old man's house, to help him with something. ~140 miles each way.

• Power … adequate
  • Wind noise … atrocious
  • Comfort … not great
  • MPG … below expectations.
The bike made adequate power to hold 75 mph (83 on the speedo with no problem). But the wind noise was horrible. I have a slightly longer back and slightly shorter legs than most gorillas my height. :D Which puts my head up in the buffeting zone of the windshield. I moved it up and down to see if it made it better. All the way up was the least worst. So I guess a huge, enormous, gigantic, barn door of a windshield is in order. That is, if I get to liking this thing. When I ducked my head down under the windshield, it was so quiet and I could hear the bike hum along. I like the hum. It would be nice to be able to listen to that hum versus wind noise.

My back was somewhat hurting. I inquired about a backrest, but the maker's response was too slow so I didn't get it ordered. I hand measured my mpg to be 47.2 mpg. I guess holding high rpm, with a high engine load to maintain 75 mph (83 on the speedo) takes its toll on mpg. A hundred years ago, I had a GSX-R 1100. I rode it on a much longer trip, droning down the interstate, 75 - 85 mph. And that bike got 55.5 mph … and had less wind noise too (as I was way above the little sport screen, my head being in the laminar flow). I was hoping for 50 - 55 mpg.

I did notice that in 'D' mode, at 75 mph (83 on the speedo) the engine was turning 5,200 - 5,400 rpm depending on terrain. For about 90% of the return trip, I switched in to 'M' mode and clicked it up to 6th. Then it would hold 5,000 rpm steady at the same speed, regardless of terrain. Theoretically I suppose the mpg would be a bit better turning 200 - 400 less rpm. And theoretically it would make a skosh less heat. But the 47.2 mpg including all the time holding it in M6.

But what's wrong with the picture attached? This is what I found when I got to my old man's house and parked the bike in his garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Missing Tupperware.

·
Registered
167 Posts
On my 400, I found the wind noise and buffeting to be unpleasant until I replaced the windshield with a GIVI that was taller, wider, and stiffer. Much more pleasant now. I'm also disappointed with gas mileage. Comfort, with the taller windshield, I find good, but that's pretty individual.

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
Yep, missing tupperware, possibly a consequence of installing a top box big enough for a couple t-rexes?
Wind noise and back rest, agreed! i modified both and it's better but i have a modular helmet, so, noisy. There is a gadget that mounts on the windscreen, a laminar lip that helps, in the end i just built my own screen, taller, narrower when folded, and much uglier, but did drop fuel consumption a bit.
This part of Florida is so flat, spilled drops of water have to get together and vote on which direction to run off. Tire pressure , windscreen , and throttle management, get me an average mixed 53 mpg.
As to comfort, my 400's were both more comfortable to ride but I am getting more tolerant of the 650's feel after 30,000 miles, trips non stop over 150 miles are still a little rough on the back, possibly because of my oversize front :(
Good luck finding a cure for your ills.

(found the paragraph thing, just gotta learn how to work it.)

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Like others have noted you're missing the lower rear tupperware piece.
I don't think that'd have a major impact on your comfort or wind noise.

It's a bit tough to say what year or model the bike is but from the chrome look of the heatshield I'd guess you have an Exec & from your indicated MPG at that speed probably an older model, so I'm guessing you already adjusted the screen to the extent you can with your existing windscreen to resolve the noise.

Since crouching behind a screen for miles on end messes with ergos & can cause back and shoulder as well as being a pain in the butt I'm gonna go with the windscreen as a good place to start.
GIVI makes a big one; although I'd recommend installing a vent, or you can buy one with a vent from a variety of places including my fav, Clearview.

I've owned the GIVI & a couple sizes of Clearview. The GIVI's thinner and flexes more than the Clearview but has great handguards. It's also taller than an XL Clearview so was a bit high for me, & lacked a vent so the backpressure was very noticeable, particularly without a case on the back to break it up.

I'm not sure if GIVI's still making the one for the older burgers, but Clearview and some others do. There might even be a couple for sale from members that would work or can be made to work.
I think (but am not positive since I haven't had 'em both in hand to compare) that the Standard could be made to work on the exec if you're handy with a drill & a dremel. If you were in the PNW I'd invite ya over and we'd take a look (I am kinda curious & have a spare XL Clearview kicking around).

Beyond that once you get the windscreen part resolved, if you're still having issues, then time to look at the seat & maybe other ergos
There are plenty of options, & butts are personal, so I'll leave that topic alone for the moment.

Hope that's helpful.

Tromper

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the rear Tupperware is missing. I knew that. Just wanted you guys to see it.

The bike is a 2011 Executive, ~9,500 miles. It looks like a dealership maintained it and they were having a personal challenge to see how many fasteners they could leave off before the customer complained or until Tupperware flew off the bike. Seems like I met the threshold on this trip.

So that was part of my fading romance with the bike. I get all the way up the road, and viola, crap is missing.

Is this normal? Is it typical that Tupperware panels go out for a happy meal and never come back?

I think I may try a lip on the windshield first. Due to my lack of romance for the bike at the moment, I don't want to invest too heavily in it, as I'm even considering to let it be "Gone With the Wind(noise)."

Question: What is my best source for affordable procurement of Tupperware?

7milesout

·
Registered
167 Posts
Check ebay first. If that doesn't help google something like "Used Suzuki Burgman parts".

I haven't done a huge amount of riding, but I've made a couple of freeway trips over 100 miles without losing parts.

Last year I bought a Givi windshield for my 2008.

Those are just my thoughts; I wish you success.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Yeah, the rear Tupperware is missing. I knew that. Just wanted you guys to see it.

The bike is a 2011 Executive, ~9,500 miles. It looks like a dealership maintained it and they were having a personal challenge to see how many fasteners they could leave off before the customer complained or until Tupperware flew off the bike. Seems like I met the threshold on this trip.

That is why me maintain the bike, go to '' you brokeitship '' the least possible.

So that was part of my fading romance with the bike. I get all the way up the road, and viola, crap is missing.

If you are careful you will never brake one, do not remove these parts when cold out, like on all ABS panel/parts equipped bike the tabs brake easier when cold.

Is this normal? Is it typical that Tupperware panels go out for a happy meal and never come back?

NO and yes, this is someone carelessness and deficient lack of customer owned bike care. ABS tabs on any motorcycle are damage sensitive, proper care must be exercised when removing/installing these.

I think I may try a lip on the windshield first. Due to my lack of romance for the bike at the moment, I don't want to invest too heavily in it, as I'm even considering to let it be "Gone With the Wind(noise)."

Your height may affect wind buffeting and noise. Some helmets do also. Some here have replaced their windscreen with aftermarket units. I have not as I find the OEM Screen fine for me.

Start on E-Bay, 2003-2012 are identical.

7milesout
If you were riding alone at posted road speed you should have obtained much more than 140 mpg, you have not said also how much fuel you put in after recording 140 mpg. Have you measured mpg manually from pump to pump.

I believe there is about a 400-500 RPM drop when shifting into OD 6th gear.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That bit of plastic is notorious for absconding. Held in by two plastic pop rivets and some brittle plastic hooks into the front panels. Suzuki ballsed up here -- it should have been impossible for this to come off before the upper panel comes off -- they made it the other way round :/

As for comfort, I too have short legs but tall body (6'1" overall :)) and the stock 650 suits me fine with a few tweaks. I took the backrest off (can't bear how it shoves me forward, even when I extended it upwards) and have a Givi windscreen. I've done 1100 miles in 24 hours on this and felt fine at the other end. (And I can't help but compare it to my VStrom 650 -- 400 miles in and my knees, butt and brain are hurting so bad, even with gel seat and Givi screen.)

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts

Panels Go Out?:

No, not normal:

I've had two Execs now, one for five years, and now a second one for three years. That piece has never fallen off.

Yes, normal:

OTOH, if you -- or, in this case, possibly the dealer -- take that piece off wrong (say, to mess with the wiring, maybe add a brake-flasher, or mess with the bulbs, etc.), you can easily damage the plastic, or maybe lose the rubber grommet* up top, that sort of thing.

* (Make sure that single grommet is still there.)

I forget the exact drill, but you have to carefully pull down first, or something like that. In any case, yep, easy to damage. In which case it will likely fall off, if nothing's done about it.

In my decade+ of off and on reading on this forum, I have read a few posts where, when the damage has been done, people have used cable ties and other methods to re-secure that piece.

If you open the glove box at speed, it is very likely that the piece to the left of the glove-box door -- the one that covers the fuse area -- will go for a Happy Meal. I HAVE had that happen, about a dozen years ago. You should superglue a tether on that one, for sure (or don't open the glove box at speed).

Replacement:

There are many places to pick from, and you might want to use the Search function on the forum for this one.

My two typical comparison places -- and I've ordered from both -- are Bike Bandit and Parts Pitstop. Your part -- 47321-10G00-YHG, according to my quick research -- goes for c. $72 and $81 at those places (with a list price of $94). See:

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2011-suzuki-burgman-650-abs-an650a-side-cover-an650a-l1-e33/o/m154864sch771135
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/suzuki/47321-10g00-ypa/b2633906?m=154864&sch=771135

https://www.partspitstop.com/oemparts/a/suz/505a02aaf8700203b4ed14a1/side-cover-an650a-l1-e33
https://www.partspitstop.com/oemparts/p/suzuki/47321-10g00-yhg/cover-frame-lower-gray

... plus shipping. You might want to click through almost ordering, to the point where you can see what the shipping will be to wherever you are.

You might also want to check with a local Suzuki dealer, to see what the local price will be, because generally you don't have to pay shipping to a local dealer.

Noise and Wind:

I put a Laminar Lip on a prior bike (not a Burgman). It worked well, but IMHO how well it works is highly dependent on your upper torso, how and where you sit, etc.

For both of my Execs, I've purchased Clearview shields, with their optional vent. The shields are wider, you get to pick one of three heights, and the vent cuts down on back-pressure. Other folks like Givi, and maybe some other brands.

More directly related to noise, I've been wearing custom-molded ear plugs for maybe 15 years. You can get these at bike shows, gun shows, etc.; you sit for 15-20 minutes, while the glop hardens, and pay $50 or $60, something like that. For my most recent version, I used my hearing-aid place, for pretty expensive silicone versions (which are super comfortable, would do it again, etc.).

For anything more that a local run to Home Depot, I use these hearing protectors. Or you could try a box of off-the-shelf ear plug gizmos -- there are dozens of brands. The point is, for those long trips, you should have real hearing protection, so wind noise should no longer be an issue. And you'll feel much more relaxed and refreshed at the end of the ride.

Reactions: scep and milburg66

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Good luck finding a cure for your ills.

(found the paragraph thing, just gotta learn how to work it.)
All right, then ...

... you CAN do it.

Proud of you!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
You didn't say if you wear a helmet. I recommend it. Full face or modular if possible. I also wear ear plugs. Cuts out even more wind noise that is common and expected riding a motorcycle of ANY kind. The ear plugs also make my FM radio sound so much better (I have a Sena BT helmet headset with FM radio in it).

For getting out of the wind I would suggest considering the MRA X-Creen that comes with both a clamp or bolt on mounting. Either the Sport or Touring model will work. It's better than the Laminar Lip and can adjust for height and angle to bump the wind way up without actually adding much height to the top of the windshield. I'm a big fan of NOT looking through a shield if at all possible so getting the wind up without raising the shield much is best IMO. Not quite as pricey as an aftermarket shield. RevZilla.com has them. We do what we can to make riding comfortable, but there are some aspects of riding that are just part of the deal. Wind and road noise are a few of those regardless what we do to minimize them.

Can't help on the missing part other than to point the way to someplace like SuzukiPartsNation.com for part items 17, 18, and a few of item 9 (likely what was originally missing). Or just get the Suzuki part number from there and search ebay or other sources for that part.

Reactions: milburg66

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would suggest using zip ties instead of push pins on the replacement tupperware piece if you plan on continuing to ride at those higher speeds. Those over priced push pins are not very durable.

Also, a bigger windshield and a backrest will solve some of your issues. And if those two items don't help your situation, you may have to sell it and return to a car. lol!

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
I have always replaced the two push pins for that bottom tail peice with some small wire ties. I was half way into a 300 mile ride and while getting gas I seen mine dangling loose on the left side. I popped the right push pin out and took my tail piece off for the day. Wire ties ever since.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What I like to recommend for ear protection with headsets are Plugfones. They are a silicone or foam(your choice) ear plug intergrated with earbud type head phones. Wind noise reduction plus much better sound than the speakers that come with headsets. They also make your headset compatible if you have a half or 3/4 helmet. I know someone is shaking their finger at me for not wearing a full metal jacket in the south with 100+ temps and 90% humidity. It's better than nothing and I'm less likely to pass out from heat stroke.

·
Registered
585 Posts
There is a huge difference in the ride with new/newer tires. As they get older they lose flexibility. As the crown wears you lose a lot of cushion. Put a Battlax on the front & either a Battlax or Michelin scooter tire on the back....your spine will thank you.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ok, let's start with your list of "issues" about the Burgman. Mine is a 2014 B650.

Power: As you note, it's adequate for what I need. I comfortably cruise at 130 kph all day and she sure as heck will go faster. But smokey is watching. Note my speeds are GPS based. The stock speedo is crap!

Wind Noise: Now, I'm a BIG guy. (2.01 meters tall (6'6") with a 36" inseam. So I need to be comfortable.
I've got the largest GIVI screen, and on top of that I have the MRA X-creen Sport. The MRA is IMHO, the cat's meow for tuning wind effects. It's a bit hard to see from this angle, but the blade is almost vertical while the screen is at an angle. So this grabs the air flowing up the windshield and the low pressure generated by the widening opening between them, kicks the airflow up and over my helmet. The MRA is infinitely adjustable both in the angle of the arms, and the angle of the blade. Takes a bit of test riding, but you will find the sweet spot.
Now, with the large Givi, as you can see I like to run it about 1" up from the bottom. This lets air "bleed" between the bottom of the screen above the mirrors. This keeps my hands cool (if I want it) but also helps reduce the backpressure. Yes, a vented screen would be better.

Seat: Now my seat has been modified. I uncovered it and cut the pan and moved the entire "bump" back about 3 inches, built some extra spacers with sheet aluminum and riveted the whole shebang together. Then recovered. Had to lengthen the seat heater wires but that was easy. That took care of my long legs. Then I have one of the Isuzu headrests as my backrest. Then a seat pad from the local auto supplier, in which I have shaved various layers of foam to create a "pocket" for my bum. Ahhhhh...... joy, even on 800-900 km days.

Handlebars: Well with moving the seat back, and also to give extra clearance for my knees, I have a set of SW-Barbacks. 3/4" rise and 3/4" to the rear, plus rotated the bar angle upwards a little. That **** handgrip heat controller was too close to my knee.

Gas Mileage: Ok, when you have that barndoor screen out front, plus big sidecases out in the wind, then of course your mileage suffers. If I'm cruising along around 90 kph, I can easily get 250 km from a tank. Push the speed up to 135 kph, and it's down to 150 km to the tank. Add in some wind and it's anybody's guess. But honestly, I don't care. As I've always said, it's the smiles per mile that count, not a few drops of gas.

For me, the big Burgy is a wonderful touring machine and all I really need.

Of course, opinions are like the secondary orifice, everybody has one!!! :devil

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The stock speedo is crap!
It reads about 9% higher than actual (GPS-measured) speed at all speeds. This is a conscious decision by Suzuki. Most scooter manufacturers do likewise; there are rare exceptions but you'll never see one that reads low on a stock bike (due to regulations).

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
For me, the big Burgy is a wonderful touring machine and all I really need.

Steve I am 5' 11'' so do not need any mod, have had 2004 - 2009 - 2013 B650 and agree with you. The B650 is the most fun, practical, efficient and best all around road motorcycle I have owned in 50 years.

I also never worry about gas mileage, have plenty of fuel capacity and gas mileage for my needs.

Reactions: meshael
1 - 20 of 67 Posts