Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first day owning 2003 burgman 650. yes, a shop manual will be purchased asap. meanwhile, i have 2 oil lights on my dash. an lcd oil can, which seems to be on all the time, and a red oil 'idiot light' which lights up with key on/engine off and goes away when engine is running. i am assuming that the idiot light is operating as it should, but what's the oil can all about ?

thanks
joe

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts
Have you checked your oil level ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi ... yes, oil is exactly between the low and high mark when bike is on centerstand.
forgot to mention; i am also getting "chec" on the dashboard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok ... "chec" means kickstand down or kill switch on ...got it. what does the oil can mean ?

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts

·
Administrator
18,734 Posts
Only on the 2002-2003 Burgman 650's. See circle below.

Never have figured out that little oil can symbol out. Always on, even with engine off.

Dash of my 2003 almost 1 hour ago.

1.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts
Could it mean oil pressure is within range ?

·
Administrator
18,734 Posts
The picture above of my dash is with the engine off for two days, no oil pressure.

As said above, the 2002-2003 650s have that little oil can symbol but I think the 2004 and up do not.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My understanding, based on a 2007 AN650, is that the scooter has an OIL LEVEL sensor and indicator.
If your oil level is good, then I expect that the sensor is bad or dirty.

"Knowledge is power, so the BURGMAN 650’s instruments keep the rider fully informed. Big, easy-to-read analogue dials for the speedometer and tachometer flank a digital display that shows an odometer, twin trip meters, a fuel consumption meter, a fuel meter, a coolant temperature indicator, a thermometer, a clock, an oil level indicator, an oil change indicator, a drive mode indicator (for drive mode and power mode), and a gear position indicator (for manual mode)." from: BURGMAN 650/Executive | MOTORCYCLE | Global Suzuki

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Administrator
18,734 Posts
1A.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i found a post from way back in 2008, unfortunately i didn't think to copy and paste it and i can't find it again. essentially this poster says that the oil can is always there, as dave has said, but he goes on to say that a warning will come on beside it if your oil level is too low. if that were the case i'm sure that it would say something in the owners manual (a copy of which i have been unable to find online) and that someone else would surely have confirmed it. my "oil can" is in the same location as dave j shows in the pic. oil PRESSURE is indicated over on the right by a red idiot light, and just like every car/truck i have ever owned it cycles on with the key to show that it is functional and then goes out with the engine running ... if oil pressure is ok.

if i haven't found a definitive answer by then, i will purposely under-fill it when i change the oil and see whether a warning light comes on next to the oil can.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
One thing I love about that display is the same as my Helix... individual buttons to set the clock time. On the new Suzukis you have to push a certain combination of buttons in a certain order and hold your mouth just a certain way. And it's different buttons on different models so fat chance of me memorizing the sequence when only doing it two or three times a year.

Ok, rant over, back to the oil indicators.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts