Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been using a HJC IS-33 (size XXL) for a few years and loved it. Recently, the little tab for the sun screen broke off rendering it useless...no biggie. But, the scoop for the right air vent came off while I was riding. The double sided tape failed. So, it was time to go helmet shopping.

I stopped off my local Suzuki dealer to look at options. Everything seemed really small so I asked a salesman and he said HJC and several other brands have narrowed and shortened their helmets. I couldn't even get the new XXL IS-33 on my head! I went to the HJC website to look at their sizing chart and my 24 3/4 size head should fit a XXL....no freaking way!

Anyway, I'm open to any suggestions for a big headed helmet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I went through the same problem this year. Couldn't find a local helmet that I could get on. Bought a Nolan and a Speed and Strength online. Couldn't get them on and had to send them back. Went to a another dealer a few miles away that had GMax. Both the XXL and the XXXL fit nicely.

Could be the shape of my head, but I think the GMax's run a little bigger.

John

·
Registered
857 Posts
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about helmets having a shelf life so I've been shopping for a new one as well. My current HJC is a XXL and I have plenty of room and not a SINGLE XXL at my local shop would fit me. I could get one HJC on but it about tore my ears off. Even the Shoei and the Arai wouldn't fit. Don't know what to do. If I special order a XXXL and don't buy it I have to pay a 'restocking' fee and don't want to do that.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh good, it wasn't just me. I just don't understand what the thinking behind the shrinking of the helmets. Do the makers suddenly think all heads shrunk???

My problem, HJC doesn't make a XXXL. I'm going on the hunt for a new brand/size. This sucks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
GMax is the only helmet I've found that I can get into. A minute or too with a Dremel tool improves the comfort level.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've also got a large head and use a 2XL sized helmet. I have always found that the Shoei line of helmets are a wonderful fit for me. I've got both a Shoei RF1100 and a Shoei Qwest and both are great.
One additional thing about the Shoei is that the front cheek pads are available in various thicknesses. For each helmet I ordered the thinner cheek pads to fine tune the fit and they are really comfortable.
Give them a look and see.
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts