Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Good eyes!

It annoys me that the bolt is too long but I've been reasonably ok because no one has ever noticed,............... until today.

You've motivated me, I will order the correct size tomorrow, being imperial (or "units of freedom" as I once saw it called and very much liked) it may take a while but I will make it right,
And of course you should get a black one.

If you don't mind socket-head instead of button-head, here are some that I have in my bolt bins:

- 3/8"-16 x 3/8" long:

That will do the trick, with all of its threads in the cover. It's what I was going to use for my project.

- I also bought some - 3/8"-16 x 1/2" long:

Those showed about one thread, beneath the MCL cover.

I could just mail one of the short ones to you. How much could it possibly cost, to send it Down Under? It's only 12 grams (I just weighed one).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bill,

thanks for your offer and the good info, its been helpful and I appreciate it.

I'll try locally again and let you know.

looking into this is letting me know how little I understand about the imperial sizes and threads,

I initially had a black cap screw that is 5/8 long, fairly neat with only about 1 thread through the bottom of the MCL plate.
The black developed surface rust.

The stainless replacement, to stop the rust of course, is 3/4 long and as you saw, looks a bit crappy. From memory my local friendly fastener store didn't have that bolt 5/8 long at that time.

These are UNC?

I hope I'm not offending anyone with this thread evolving?
OP has had a positive outcome and we are still talking linked to the MCL plates, I think?

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
These are UNC?

I hope I'm not offending anyone with this thread evolving?
OP has had a positive outcome and we are still talking linked to the MCL plates, I think?
Yep, we're still dealing with MCL covers, at least.

Re UNC, the "16" in the 3/8"-16 specification refers to thread pitch, i.e., 16 threads to the inch (with a bolt-size diameter of 3/8"). Here in the US, anyway, 16 is the overwhelmingly common pitch for a 3/8" bolt. I guess you could call it common coarse thread; I've never seen another thread pitch for those big bolts here.

So, for your RAM hole-in-a-bracket ball, for the MCL cover, you'd need a 3/8"-16 bolt, and it needs to be 3/8" long (that's the length of the threaded portion of the bolt) or 1/2" long (although the 3/8" long is my suggestion here).

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
It is a great shame that Larry's good name(RIP) is being besmirched by whoever is half running the outfit now. If it is still in the family then they may have problems but if they cannot do business properly they could at least communicate with their customers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I purchased something for my Royal Star Tour Deluxe before he started up Motorcycle Larry. We knew him as Livebait Larry: http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=3 Just an interesting factoid. Sorry about his passing. BTW, after acquiring my new to me 2012 Exec I bought one of those brake covers. Mine is the replacement cover with one end. They (motorcycle larry) also had one with a hole on each end so you could mount two Rams. Think that could be a bit much though.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
They (motorcycle larry) also had one with a hole on each end so you could mount two Rams. Think that could be a bit much though.
Not at all. On both my 2007 Exec (now sold) and my 2008 Exec (now waiting for the snow to melt), I have MCL's double-balled covers on both sides (i.e., eight balls in all). I often employ two balls on a side (say, a camera and phone/GPS).

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
128 Posts
a​
I just got the shipment comfirmation from MCL thru USPS with no tracking number.
I wish they had better customer service. I expect the items to arrive sometime next week with all these nor’easters we been getting.
Update...
Feb 26 .... Ordered 2 brake fluid Cover plates
March 7 ... received notice they were shipped
March 15.... items still not delivered

Emailed twice with no responses
unless these are coming from China, (which I doubt)
I Will soon be filing complaint

Will wait few more days

·
Registered
128 Posts
a​

Update...
Feb 26 .... Ordered 2 brake fluid Cover plates
March 7 ... received notice they were shipped
March 15.... items still not delivered

Emailed twice with no responses
unless these are coming from China, (which I doubt)
I Will soon be filing complaint

Will wait few more days

Filed a claim around end of March.
Paypal just voted in my favor and was able to recuperate and reimburse me.

Its too bad. I really liked their product. But I need these and must find alternative sellers.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I ordered a ball and brake fluid cover March 24th. Has been two weeks and havnt heard anything yet. I checked my order and it is still in processing stage. It's only been two weeks, but I ordered a new strap from Alaska leathers for my butt pad and received it in 3 days, from Alaska, free shipping. I guess I'm so used to the amazon speed of shipping these days. I guess if you want one be prepared to wait.

Reactions: Nillinator

·
Registered
128 Posts
I ordered a ball and brake fluid cover March 24th. Has been two weeks and havnt heard anything yet. I checked my order and it is still in processing stage. It's only been two weeks, but I ordered a new strap from Alaska leathers for my butt pad and received it in 3 days, from Alaska, free shipping. I guess I'm so used to the amazon speed of shipping these days. I guess if you want one be prepared to wait.
Let us know if you get yours. Im still interested in their double plates. Cant find them anywhere else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK,

I have two people interested in the caps each want 2,

gents, I'll contact you by PM,

Shared detail,
I have 4 caps, 3 x double, 1 x single.
Nillinator, you contacted me first so you get the 2 x double.

cost is $20 USD per cap plus shipping, with tracking $20 USD without tracking $10 USD.

Please let me know via PM,

Thanks,

Greg

PS. I just found my original invoice, I paid $20 for the singles, $23 for the doubles and $40 total for postage

·
Registered
190 Posts
Payment sent via paypal.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Just checked my order with Motorcycle Larry. Still showing just being processed after three weeks. Real funny way of doing business. I guess I'll give it one more week. You would think every order they received would have called them by now. No wonder they are pissed off when you call them. I paid through Paypal so I'm not worried about the funds. I would sure like to use my phone on the scooter though. I have the phone cradle. It came within 3 days!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My order is still in the processing stage when I checked the status. I sent an email tonight to [email protected] requesting the status of my order. Saturday will be four weeks. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I will contact Paypal for a refund.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I made a request with the Paypal resolution center today for a full refund from Motorcycle Larry. "My order number with NPT is 34213. When I go to their order information page it is still in the processing stage. I have waited 4 weeks for my Ram ball mount. The email address you have for them [email protected] does not work. My email was returned No one has answered the phone number 805-583-0373 and they do not have an answering machine. I have been using Paypal for years and this is the first time I have had an issue. Would like a refund and start over with someone else." we'll see what happens. I also sent an email to [email protected] but no one responded.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts