Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to get the break reservoir cover ram mount plates from MotorcycleLarry.com and can't get any contact from them...Email, fax, or phone. Does anyone know what's up? Or better yet where you can order the plate covers with ball mounts? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
18,197 Posts
Larry passed away some time ago. Its a small "Mom&Pop type store. They still do ship items last I knew.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
I hope they still in business. I just ordered a few ram parts and still waiting for them to be shipped.
Ordered pewter plates with doubles. I wonder if I should cancel? Get them elsewhere?
I ordered a pair of doubles from them back in March 2017. Took a week or so.

I'd wait a couple of weeks before getting concerned, especially because: 1) I don't believe anyone else makes replacement -- not add-on -- reservoir covers like that for our Burgers, and; 2) it's my understanding that Larry passed away some years back, i.e., not recently, so that shouldn't affect anything.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I called within their posted business hours and no one answered.
I emailed at the posted “contact us” email address and received reply from Mailer Daemon notifying me of no such addy.
Tomorrow Im contacting my cc company to reverse the charges.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
I called within their posted business hours and no one answered.
I emailed at the posted “contact us” email address and received reply from Mailer Daemon notifying me of no such addy.
Tomorrow Im contacting my cc company to reverse the charges.
I have one suggestion, if you're not completely fed up by now: email them at [email protected]

I was just looking over my order-confirmation email from them, from March 2017, and that particular email was sent from that email address, although the other address, the sbcglobal domain one, was also listed as a contact address in the boilerplate of my email confirmation.

The email address that the web site lists on their contact page ( http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=10 ), [email protected] , may be some left-over address from the old days ... as opposed to [email protected] , which address was actually used to send me the email last year.

I also noticed that the mobile version of the site has a 2018 copyright date (while no date is specified on the full version of the web site). So it looks as if they are -- or were recently -- in business, but are not taking good care of their web site, and perhaps email specifications.

The order-confirmation email doesn't list any phone number, so I have no idea what's up with that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I ordered a mount last year...gave it several weeks...just because I knew....Contacted them no response...Kinda of forgot about it for awhile...Sicked my wife on them and it took several months I wanna say 8 months she said...and finally She had Paypal refund it by filing dispute. She did get one return response from them all that time but it was some form type response.

This order was for a Kymco bike of mine and we finally ordered next best RAM mount from amazon and ground it's edges to fit.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I ordered a mount last year...gave it several weeks...just because I knew....Contacted them no response...Kinda of forgot about it for awhile...Sicked my wife on them and it took several months I wanna say 8 months she said...and finally She had Paypal refund it by filing dispute. She did get one return response from them all that time but it was some form type response.

This order was for a Kymco bike of mine and we finally ordered next best RAM mount from amazon and ground it's edges to fit.
I paid with PayPal.
How long did it take to getreimbursed after filing dispute?

·
Administrator
18,197 Posts
I paid with PayPal.
How long did it take to getreimbursed after filing dispute?
On a different vendor about two years ago I filed a Paypal dispute and it took 1 week. Paypal does not mess around. If the vendor does not respond to Paypals questions they rule in favor of the customer.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Incidentally, if you two can work this out, the MotorcycleLarry covers are 3/8"-16 threaded.

So, to complete the setup with just these MCL covers and, um, no balls, you'll need to buy https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-236U , which is what comes (or came) with the MCL covers, if you ordered the balls with the cover.

(Or I suppose you could also use https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-236-SEC1U , but the point is get 3/8-16 threaded 1" balls, because RAM sells balls with a lot of balls of different sizes and with different threads.)

Last, my recommendation, what I did, is to use red (i.e., permanent) thread-locker on the ball threads, and crank 'em down with the cover in a vise (with a rag around it, to avoid scratches), as opposed to installing the balls with the cover on the bike. And the thread-locker is because you'll never want to remove the balls from the cover -- at least I've never had a reason to.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Bill,

I've set mine up with the ram mount as below, not sure of the part number. This one works better with my GPS mount.
we use the metric system here so yes I had to buy imperial cap screws

also, should anyone be wondering, yes my cap screw is stainless and I am aware of galvanic corrosion, no it doesn't cause a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ram reservoir cover

Amazon has these covers that go over the original cap. You don't even remove the cap - just take out the screws and use the replacement screws that come with the ram covers. Here is what to search for on Amazon: RAM-B-346U

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Amazon has these covers that go over the original cap. You don't even remove the cap - just take out the screws and use the replacement screws that come with the ram covers. Here is what to search for on Amazon: RAM-B-346U
As I've noted in other threads on the forum, I'm not a fan of that RAM product (listed by the manufacturer at https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-346U ).

A buddy ordered one about ten years ago, when we both had Execs, and around the time that I ordered my first pair of Motorcycle Larry covers. Upon receiving it, he never put it on, and it's now sitting on some shelf in my garage (I bought his Exec in 2016, and he gave me his supply of related parts).

The problem with the RAM product, IMHO, is that it puts the stress on the two, thin, replacement screws (with spacers, and then the RAM cover-over-the-stock-cover). When you add products to the RAM ball on top, with various extensions (typically three inches), and then another ball and device holder, and your GPS, phone, camera, or what-have-you, that's a fair amount of torque to be adding -- sideways -- to those small (M4?) screws.

By contrast, the MCL product -- since it's a replacement cover -- spreads the torque load across the entire rim of the reservoir, for, IMHO, a much more stable arrangement. And it looks a lot nicer, too.

Just kind of a shame that MCL's customer service seems to be in the dumps.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Thanks Bill,

I've set mine up with the ram mount as below, not sure of the part number. This one works better with my GPS mount.
we use the metric system here so yes I had to buy imperial cap screws

also, should anyone be wondering, yes my cap screw is stainless and I am aware of galvanic corrosion, no it doesn't cause a problem.
That's one way to do it, with that RAM ball-with-bolt-hole. I've never used those -- and I've used a lot of RAM products -- but it looks nice and robust. Generally, I go with the 3" extensions ("double socket arms," in RAM-speak), for more adjustability in terms of positioning devices (given the angle of the sun, the angle of my viewing things from the seat, and so forth).

But that's a good solution you have there.

(Here in the US, those 3/8"-16 bolts are readily available, with sunken hex socket heads, and in various short lengths, too, that don't extend beyond the bottom of the cover. I have a bunch of those short bolts, because I was working on a separate project, since abandoned, that used those MCL covers without any RAM products.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's one way to do it, with that RAM ball-with-bolt-hole. I've never used those -- and I've used a lot of RAM products -- but it looks nice and robust. Generally, I go with the 3" extensions ("double socket arms," in RAM-speak), for more adjustability in terms of positioning devices (given the angle of the sun, the angle of my viewing things from the seat, and so forth).

But that's a good solution you have there.
Thanks, yes it works ok, not as adjustable as the usual ram system but more compact.

this is the part that makes it work,

https://buybits.com/ultimate-addons-garmin-zumo-390lm-adaptor-to-1inch-25mm-ball-female-suitable-for-ram-motorcycle-mounts-sku-18634.html

(Here in the US, those 3/8"-16 bolts are readily available, with sunken hex socket heads, and in various short lengths, too, that don't extend beyond the bottom of the cover. I have a bunch of those short bolts, because I was working on a separate project, since abandoned, that used those MCL covers without any RAM products.)
Good eyes!

It annoys me that the bolt is too long but I've been reasonably ok because no one has ever noticed,............... until today.

You've motivated me, I will order the correct size tomorrow, being imperial (or "units of freedom" as I once saw it called and very much liked) it may take a while but I will make it right,

1 - 20 of 69 Posts