Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Come April and May and we'll be seeing 40-60mph winds. How does the 400 do in blustery weather and how's the power curve?

I ask this because many times when I had my Kawi Vulcan 750, full throttle was a 50 mph in the wind!

I used to pass many Harley riders hiding from the rain and wind in the shelter of the gas station, whilst I was passing by in a 45° Lean... I always gave the Pleather jacket boys a wave, it would be my greatest pleasure to be able to do the same on the burgie!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I've ridden my 400 in those kind of wind conditions. Like most bikes if you don't tense up and fight the wind it will do OK. If you are running straight into the wind it will take more throttle and you will use a lot more fuel.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
it all Depends on the Shield Wind Screen the Stock one really Buffets Real Bad making it worst, Much better with the GIVI.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
come april and may and we'll be seeing 40-60mph winds. How does the 400 do in blustery weather and how's the power curve?

I ask this because many times when i had my kawi vulcan 750, full throttle was a 50 mph in the wind!

I used to pass many harley riders hiding from the rain and wind in the shelter of the gas station, whilst i was passing by in a 45° lean... I always gave the pleather jacket boys a wave, it would be my greatest pleasure to be able to do the same on the burgie!
i never ride during a hurricane.............

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Wind... I hate it. I'd rather ride through rain. At least you can see what you're up against with water.

Be that said, the Burgmans have posed no undue threat in the wind than any other bike I've owned. Both are heavy enough not to be tossed around too bad.

But 60 mph winds? Time to take the cage. I don't ride in hurricanes either.

·
Registered
90 Posts
For me, it depends on the road, speed limit, traffic, and whether I'm riding for touring, commuting, or just for an afternoon of riding. 40+ mph crosswinds are scary on an interstate with a lot of semi trailers weaving around.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never intentionally do it, I been caught out a few times out there on the prairie lol. I have taken shelter a few times and done some detours when it gets bad... I have a vehicle at both locations now incase it's too dangerous to ride home... A 30-45 degree lean gets scary in high winds!

I got the givi Dt266, very solid screen, no vents flapping around!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I will ride in 45mph crosswinds, I do run my windscreen all the way down when the wind gets that stiff. I have only ridden in 60mph gusts a few times, happened when on the road and I was riding home. Did not enjoy riding in 60mph gusts at all and will take the cage if winds are running that high (actually I usually stay at home when the winds are that strong). We are under a tornado watch as I type this with 45-60mph wind gusts. The bike is in my shop and is going to stay there until the weather improves.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm currently out on a run as we speak, it's 40 mph wind...Its a bit rough, but doable...I think i'm going to draw the line @40 mph winds, and i have a downloaded an app on my iphone which gives, Temp/Baro/Wind speed at your location, so a very nifty app to check out before a trip, of course we all know things can change.

I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY MEAN BIKER DUDES OR HARLY'S, Not a single one of em!! Haaaaa!...Suzuki burgman, the real high plaines drifter!

Heading back now, headwind all the way! lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
For me, it depends on the road, speed limit, traffic, and whether I'm riding for touring, commuting, or just for an afternoon of riding. 40+ mph crosswinds are scary on an interstate with a lot of semi trailers weaving around.
Agreed. It's all what you feel comfortable in. I got no issue calling it a day if I don't feel comfortable on the bike.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Too windy is when the wind rips your jacket open like a parchute and it nearly drags you off the bike :shock: Too windy is being on an open bridge with two lanes, 3 foot tall walls and a 100 foot drop and being blown into the other lane and almost to the wall :shock:

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
If I did not ride in gusts up to 60 MPH, I guess I would not be riding much. Compound that wind with a torrential down-pour, Yepper, just last nights commute home. While I will ride on a bit of snow and ice, if its windy then NO.

But you all don't need to try to keep up with me. :D Please ride your own ride.

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
Had to ride to my doctors appt this afternoon. It was coming down in buckets with about 20 MPH winds. Here is out doppler radar snapshot from my ride back, it was worst on the to trip than the return trip. Click on pic to see bigger. My house is about where the arrow points to.

View attachment 18897

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Had to ride to my doctors appt this afternoon. It was coming down in buckets with about 20 MPH winds. Here is out doppler radar snapshot from my ride back, it was worst on the to trip than the return trip. Click on pic to see bigger. My house is about where the arrow points to.

View attachment 18897
Jees, Dave, you ride in that muck? You're a far braver rider than I.

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
While not trying to minimize the intensity of Dave's experience, I've noticed that thinking about riding in the rain is generally a lot worse than actually riding in the rain. I went cageless for 12 years before my accident and it really didn't matter how gawdawful the weather was, I rode through it every single day. Except in the very worst frog-stranglers, the right gear will keep you remarkably comfortable. The only thing that really gets soaked is my face.

Rain is different down here in Florida than it is where I grew up in the northeast corridor. Up there, if it was raining, it was raining everywhere and the sky was socked in from horizon to horizon. Florida rain comes in discrete cloudbursts. We rarely have rain which you can't drive out from under in a mile or three.

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
Thanks Chip, I think. :D Yes I do not let rain stop me. I wear the gear. But I do know my tire combo is at the wear bars and needs replacing. That can cause a butt muscle pucker real fast when your front tire pushes out in a wet corner @ 60 MPH.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I'm currently out on a run as we speak, it's 40 mph wind...Its a bit rough, but doable...I think i'm going to draw the line @40 mph winds, and i have a downloaded an app on my iphone which gives, Temp/Baro/Wind speed at your location, so a very nifty app to check out before a trip, of course we all know things can change.

I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY MEAN BIKER DUDES OR HARLY'S, Not a single one of em!! Haaaaa!...Suzuki burgman, the real high plaines drifter!

Heading back now, headwind all the way! lol
40 mph is about my limit for planned joy rides.
I use http://windmapper.com/ to help forecast the winds and have found it quite accurate if you live close to any airport.

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
I use www.palmandfinger.com to check my local weather. If the palms wet, its raining. If the finger stuck in the mouth and then held up gets cold, its windy. :twisted:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts