Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure I set a personal record tonight. It was -7 out when I went for about a 4 mile ride to/from the supermarket. In American that's 19 degrees.

:shaking:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I live in Florida, but it does get cold down here from time to time. Coldest I ever rode in was 22F/-5C home from work in the morning. The trip took about an hour, which was definitely an hour too long!

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
For a whole week in 2007 it was 12 Degrees F. That's -11 C :D

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I hear ya on not being as cold-tolerant as I used to be. Spent a few years in Alaska, and either I got used to the insanely cold winters or the common-sense part of my brain froze solid -- not sure which, really. But that was 15 years ago; might be able to do it again if I had to, but, fortunately, I don't have to. Anyhow, back to the topic:

I did one run from Ogden, UT to Las Vegas, NV (8 hours or so with breaks) where it was 34F as I hit the road; probably didn't reach the mid-40s the whole trip. Gerbings everything (jacket and pants liners, gloves and socks) and a bandana under my full face helmet made it almost pleasant.

Haven't needed the stuff since I moved back to Los Angeles, and even though I'm just about to head out for a few hours of riding on this 42F morning, it's still not worth digging the heated gear out of storage and wiring it back up.

Still, I'm rethinking having stopped my contributions to Northern Bikers For Global Warming...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
. Haven't needed the stuff since I moved back to Los Angeles, and even though I'm just about to head out for a few hours of riding on this 42F morning.
I'm actually headed out to join Rusty on this 42F morn. We're taking the group to the motorcycle show in Long Beach. See you in a few Rusty, I'll bring the hot chocolate.

Coldest I've ridden? 38F, but only for a while. I'm a whimp when it come to cold. But then again, I've never really needed to brave much colder.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Last winter we had a string of about ten days in a row when the temp to and from work was 10 F. I had the gear to stay warm during the short (12-15 minute) commute except my hands. I just received some electric gloves I'm anxious to try out but, ice on the roads has currently got my burgie garaged. :(

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
Every day. I commute ONLY by Burgman, no car. Its 41 miles to work and 41 back. I have driven my wifes car to work maybe 10 times in 7 years. The only time I have not ridden to work is when I don't make it to work, due to recovering from a Goldwing or Burgman 650 crash. Yesterday is the 3rd anniversary of my Dec 7th 2010 crash. ;)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
DUH.........!!!!!!! Yup - I rode at 9 F for 20 miles or so...just to say that I was stupid enough to do it............

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Coldest I've ridden was 18degrees. The main thing keeping me from riding in cold is snow/threat of ice, and that one time it was 18 degrees it was pretty rain/snow free for a few days so i rode.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Reporting from Melbourne Florida. It was 66 degrees last week. I had to put on my jacket. Then an hour later, it got to 85, and I had to take my jacket off.

Brrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I used to ride when it was in the low to mid 20s. However, I stopped when I hit a patch of ice where the water had run across the road. I didn't wreck but it scared me to death. I ride when it is above freezing now.

·
Registered
573 Posts
On the Burgman, 17 degrees F. But I made a run from Cove, OR to Bakersfield, CA some years ago on a Suzuki GS 1000. Left at 2 am with a temp of 10 degrees and snowing, and rode in snow (up to 2 feet at time!) for 500 miles (900 miles total trip im 26 hours). The temp in John Day, OR showed 0 degrees at the bank. I had multiple layers of clothing on, with my heavy duty construction rain gear over everything. I stayed dry, but still got pretty cold. Stopped when ever I could and had hot coffee.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Living in the desert I don't see the kind of lowest that most all of you on this site see. Coldest for me was 35 a few years back. Was 31 this morning when I got to work but I'm older & wiser now. The heated seats in my TDI Passat felt good this morning.
Now if you want to ask how HOT have you ridden in well that's another story.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I used to ride below freezing and did until I had a lowside on icy roads (black ice) about 15 years ago. Then I upped my temp limit to above freezing. Got frostbike in one of my hands several years ago (had regular gloves on and even with the temps in the mid-thirties it happened). So, I bought some good winter gloves and hand-guards for my motorcycle. A couple of years ago, I decided that it just wasn't worth it and upped my minimum to 40 degrees. I would prefer the temps be above 50 degrees when I leave the house unless I am having PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome).

Getting to be a woose I guess.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
302 Posts
When I was 17 I rode a Harley Sportster. I lived in West Texas and I road 50 miles one way on weekends to drop friends off and pick up stuff that was not available in the little town I was in. Then I would ride to my girlfriend's place, another 81 miles. I did this even when it was snowing out because it was my only transportation. When the winds would blow across that open plain it was like being cut multiple times and pouring salt on it! **** it was cold! I know that it hit in the single digits many times in the winter, and when the snow would blow across the road ahead of me I would have to just grit my teeth and keep going. I am sooo glad I don't have to do that any more.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Cold is not a limiting factor for me. I do however fear the black ice and freezing fog. So I tend to ride only if the roads are dry and clear at below freezing temperatures.

Coldest temp for me was December 12th this year -3 F or -19 C

The Burgman quit reporting the temperature at some point in my 20 minute ride, and just indicated LO or maybe it was LOL; I looked it up in the manual and it quits reporting at 10 F

1 - 20 of 21 Posts