Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or the best 150 or 200 for that matter. It would have to be able to hold 55-60 mph for at least 15 minutes without overstress and must also have an automatic tranny. Will not be used on the interstate at all.

Kind of wishful thinking here but would prefer fuel injection rather than the manual choke/carb thing. When did FI start to become more common? 2002? 2003?

I've just started looking around. Looking for a Honda, Yamaha, or some other make that is not a Chinese import (pls - no offence meant to anyone...).

Used - say 3 grand or less - just doing research right now. Won't be buying immediately. Would consider good advice for a 150 or 200 also.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

·
Registered
806 Posts
Taking into account your need for low price, get the Helix. They have an automatic choke on the carburetor that makes the bike start easier than some with fuel injection. Top speed is around 70MPH but the bike will run 65MPH up and down hills all day long. And, as most here will attest, it is one of the most comfortable two wheeled machines in the world.

The other choice is a Honda Reflex, but I don't think you will find one in your price range.

The machines are both 250's with similar performance and economy. But I am a big Helix fan.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I've heard many truly excellent things about Kymco scoots, though I've no personal experience. They sell so far under Hondas that I'd definitely try one. In my mind, though, the _best_ used scooter is the one that's been properly maintained, ridden gently, has low miles on it, and is being sold by someone who does not realize what it's worth. I wouldn't buy a _junk_ brand used, but Kymco, Twist and Go, Bajraj, and some others certainly would get my attention. Just about everyone who's anyone in the scoot world makes bikes in this size range.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Certainly nothing wrong with a Kymco, but finding a dealer to service it might be a concern. Also, price as a "hardly used" Helix can be had for cheap.

Besides, isn't the Honda Helix the "official learner scooter" and the first scooter the vast majority of us started out on? Kind of like a VW bug, you should own one at least once.

;)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
The first "big" scooter I had was the 250cc Honda Elite. I got mine a year before the Helix came out. The Helix had the same engine but was geared differently and looked far different. To me the Helix looked HUGE, and was long and low compared to my Elite.

So no, not everyone started on a Helix. I think the Helix stayed in production continuously, though. Which explains why MANY people did start on one.

I you can find an Elite from the mid 80s or 90s that still runs and has few miles on it I think it would be a great "small" scooter. I've seen at least three different ones running around my town lately.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I recently bought a used Reflex with 10,000 miles on it for $2400. Auto-choke makes cold starts a cinch. Great suspension, handling, fuel economy. Wish there was enough space under the seat for two helmets but overall I'm very satisfied :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Pete,

Check out the Piaggio, BV200. It's a very nice scooter, liquid cooled, 16 inch wheels and quite sporty. They retail new for $4499 but used might be in your price range. This is the link to the scooter at VESPAUSA.com

http://www.piaggiousa.com/pscooters/bv200Specs.cfm

Janine :)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the great advice! ok - i guess i oughta throw another dime in the bucket! :wink: (maybe we can get our own dedicated server! :wink: )

The problem that I face here is that there is no service or support for anything other than the big boys. There isn't a Kymco or Vespa dealer within a "hunnert miles" of this backwoods stickintheground.

I love Piaggios - and I think that that lil number Janine recommended is very cool. I know I woulda gotten an X9 or a BV 500 if there was a dealership peddling them here locally (hey - what can I say? I am a sucker for fine Italian anything! :oops: )

I also think that the lil Chinese jobs out there are a great bang for the buck. Heck my second new car was a 89 Sonata - before they "got to be OK..." - but that was a toilet...not chinese but... i digress.

and well, just look at JD! He's gotta coool lil scoot. sigh. cant do it tho. that boils it down to a reflex or a helix. i chased down a reflex this weekend and when i came up to it... well... it looked pretty small - but maybe that was because there was a big dude sitting on it and the little matter of my moonpie doing a solar eclipse over him.

as my buddy Eeyore would say - oooh well...

i think i like the helix because even tho it isnt as "sporty looking" as the reflex, it has a pretty good track record, it has a substantial presence in person, its been around for quite a while, and, well, its pretty easy to "hunt down" at a relatively affordable price.

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts