Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off my left side shield, that's the part that covers just under the footbord. I found that this shield has foam rubber glued inside, running the whole length of the part. I checked the fiche, and the right one has the foam as well.

Anyone know what purpose this foam serves? Noise reduction perhaps?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would tend to agree with Jim...and I might I add some vibration reduction as well?

Gordon

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This must be some magical foam! Out of curiousity, I checked this foam out on a couple of the Suzuki parts dealers fiche, and was floored to see that these piceces of simple foam rubber sell for over $50 each.
Wow.

If I ever have to replace these covers, I'll just glue in some scrap foam.
No way would I pay the $50 for a bucks worth of foam rubber.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I also think it is for noise reduction. But...

I had to replace my right lower leg shield last year. They were on sale at one of the Internet sites (Oneida Suzuki I think). But I didn't realize that the foam piece was not included. So... I installed it with no foam in place. I've been riding that way for over a year now. I really haven't found any issue with the foam being missing.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
'Prolly sounds better tho... :wink:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wonder if some foam left over from packing or similar would work if you cut and glued it in place?
Would you have paid the $50+ that Suzuki wants for that? Seems awfully high to me, even for a factory part.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
If I had found the missing foam to be a problem I would have visited Ace Hardware - not the Suzuki parts department. A roll of similar foam, an exacto knife, and some glue - I'm sure would run a lot less than $50. :wink:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well, we don't know why the foam is there, or what special properties it may require. Under the same conditions normal foam may get too hot, not hold it's shape, whatever... I'd like to know for sure what purpose it had before replacing it with something else. If it's only for sound dampening, but they used a special foam to get a special property (resilience, heat resistance, EMP resistance...) - then that would explain the $50 cost. It may not need it there - but need it to be a specific type if it is...

I custom outfit my kayaks with foam - and a $50 piece of what I work with is surprisingly small. The cheaper kinds of foam I tried looked just as good - but didn't perform well because they held water, deformed, or dry rotted. Some even melted when the adhesive was put on them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The dealer told me it was a heat shield when they replaced mine. beats me! In more ways then one!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts