Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned with my old scooter to always have a few things with me, even on short trips around town. This is the list. Please add any mandatory things you keep in your bike.

1) Small Towel. Nothing like coming out to find it rained and the seat is wet.

2) Quart of oil. Just in case the bike is low. Killed my old scooter once riding home not realizing it was dry.

3) Poncho/rainsuit. Mostly to throw over my leather jacket if it starts to rain.

4) ziplock bag with registration/insurance/owners manual in it.

5) flashlight.

6) two bungie cords. Less likely needed with the burgman's big trunk.

Anything I forgot?

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I also carry a full set of open end wrenches up to 17mm. Full set of allen keys and Pliers. An assortment of spare fuses. I have added a tire puncture repair kit along with small compressor this year.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
In addition to items previously mentioned, I carry a Service manual when I tour. I figure a non-Suzuki motorcycle mechanic should be able to work on the machine in a pinch IF they have the service manual. I also carry a set of Canyon Dancer tiedowns when touring. If I need a piggy back ride, they could come in handy. I also carry a snake/insect bite kit (bought at Walmart). I carry an electric vest as well as a rainsuit just in case I hit unexpected cool temperatures.

I have never had a problem while touring. I have high confidence in the reliability of this scooter. But anything mechanical can break.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
In addition to the items mentioned above I carry-

Electrical Tape
Duct Tape
1 or 2 small Sanitary Napkin Pads (see below)
10' of Electrical Wire

The pads are a sort of all purpose first aid item. Since they are clean and in a package, they are great for stopping bleeding. I actually had to use this once tho' I was riding a bicycle, not a scooter. A friend fell on her bike causing a large cut in her leg. I put the pad over the cut, wrapped a piece of paper towel around the leg to protect it and tightly wrapped the entire thing with duct tape. (You don't want to put duct tape right on the skin). It slowed the bleeding and kept it clean til we got to the doctor.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
A small squirt bottle of windshield cleaner and a piece of microfiber cloth for face shield and windshield cleaning.

Safety vests for night time riding.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Oh, I forgot

A multi tool and advil.

·
Registered
857 Posts
paper and pencil to exchange insurance with the cage that runs into you...

sorry. Hope you never need it, but just in case, it might be good to have. I used to keep a disposable camera in my car to take photos of any accident I was in as well....immediately, before anyone drives away.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
A BIG FAT SMILE!!!! :D

well, besides that, a 2 dollar disposable rain poncho, a small first aid kit, my cell phone, cash and credit cards!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I carry a few of the items above , but three I did not see
a 50 dollar bill two blank checks and a cell phone

I take it back, Pete said some of them

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is something of a rarer item. A few years ago I was right behind a cage on the freeway that drifted onto the dirt shoulder...driver tried to correct....back end slid perpendicular to the freeway....you know what that means....car flipped 5 or 6 times ending up with the tires skyward. I pulled over and ran back, the guy was conscious but having a heck of a time getting his seatbelt off and crawling out of the semi-crushed top. I was thinking..."I am sooo glad this thing is not on fire right now...". He wouldn't stay in the car and eventually got out without too much (apparent and immediate) damage to his person.
So where am I going with this? I think I've forgotten.... oh yeah. So as a result of that experience I always have with me one of those folding, serrated, blunt-tip knives (I think Smith & Wesson made mine). They are emergency response type with the blunt tip so that you can insert it between the seatbelt and trapped passenger and then cut them out. I decided after seeing the accident that I never wanted to come across another one, this one with flames, and not be able to get them out because of a seatbelt..... Plus it works as a regular knife too :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
On my 400, I have a tiny Hikers first aid kit, a Petzl Zipka head torch, an old Gerber multi tool, a disposable camera (ummm, I must check the expiry date, I've had that one years..), a cargo net bungie, some cash, which all amazingly squash into the right hand side of the big glove box in front of the battery, leaves the left side free.
In with the tool kit in that little box area under the seat, I've got a tubeless tyre plug kit with three air cannisters, the tool kit with a few added bits (needle nose molegrip, some wire, duct tape and stuff).
Right side upper wing glove box has one of those microfibre trekking towels, for wet seats like 4D mentioned, and a wax pencil.
The spare key is taped and hidden under the plastic in my special secret place :shock:
That's just day to day stuff, for commuting etc. For planned trips I cram more in... Re-reading all that is kinda scary, makes me look like some kind of survivalist! It's really that I just like gadgets :D

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
I always carry a swiss army knife, bike or not.
On the bike, (with out the hump bag)
2 rags, 1 fairly clean, 1 sanitary clean.
Tire gauge
Rain suit
Water bottle
Maps
Gloves
Sweatshirt
Garage Door Remote

with the hump bag add:
Assorted Bungee cords
Compressor
Rain suit
More maps
2 water bottles
Mini-mag flashlight
Tire Repair kit
Electrical Tape

·
Registered
250 Posts
Small tool kit.
Battery-powered compressor.
Waterproof oversuit.
Spare bulbs and fuses.
Small First Aid kit.
Rags and hand-cleaning gear.
Hi Viz vest.
Visor cleaning squeegie.

·
Registered
320 Posts
1. First-aid kit (yes, with a sanitary pad as noted above :wink: )
2. reflective vest for night riding
3. extra pair of riding gloves
4. pen
5. bungees
6. a few bandanas (multiple uses)
7. registration/insurance cards

1 - 20 of 29 Posts