Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at two identical Burgys...2012's, both white 400s with ABS. One has 840 miles, the other 1100. However, one is covered by extended warranty until 2017. The other has no warranty. The price difference is $1100. So...how much extra is that warranty worth?

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I guess the real question is how much is an extended warranty worth to YOU.

On the one hand, the 400's are pretty solid so $1100 dollars in your pocket would pay for about any major repair that might come up?

On the other hand, $1100 dollars buys a lot of security and peace of mind.

If the warranty is a bumper to bumper type then it could be worth it. My budget at the time normally decides these kind of things for me.

If your gonna ride it locally racking up maybe 5K a year then maybe not worth.

If your gonna tour and put up 20-25K in the warranty period ..... may be ...........

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
585 Posts
Are both under the original factory warranty now? If they are then you should be able to buy an extended warranty at the time you buy the bike if both are being sold by a dealer. The bike will need to be under original warranty to be eligible for the extended warranty. If thats the case you can buy the cheaper bike and the extended warranty and save some money that way.

At any rate the link that jvinzki provided you shows that an extended 5 year warranty which actually is 3 years of 'extended' warranty since the extended warranty runs concurrent to the original warranty - and is currently worth $445 - not $1100. I would look into adding the extended warranty to the cheaper bike.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is being sold by a Honda dealer...they cannot sell an extended warranty. :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
My understanding is you can purchase the extended warranty straight from the website regardless of which dealership you bought the bike from. As long as it is covered by the manufacturer's warranty. My understanding also, if you purchase the bike from a dealership, it is covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Contact Oneida (or any other company that offers extended warranty) and hear it from the horse's mouth.. ;)

·
Registered
585 Posts
From that website for 1cc to 499cc bikes:

"All Suzuki SEP must be purchased while the Suzuki Limited Warranty is in force "

There are no other qualifiers as long as regular maintenance was performed. If the less expensive bike is currently covered with the OEM warranty then thats the one to buy.

Simply enter the VIN number and hit 'Add to cart' and VIOLA - you now have three more years of warranty for $444.95. You might show that to the Honda dealer so as to let them know they've overvalued that warranty. Or not.

Make sure you follow all of the scheduled services - one of their favorite things to do is try to worm out of expensive warranty repairs if you have missed a scheduled service. Even when the problem has nothing to do with something you might have missed.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I bought my 05 400 brand new and kept it for about 5.5 years (18k miles). It needed only one post-warranty repair - a new ignition/key module that cost a bit over $300.

I've got 16k miles on my current 08 400 that I bought used with 2700 miles with extended warranty included. Haven't needed it, and the policy will expire in a couple of months.

My suggestion: keep your $1100 in the bank, and fund your own peace-of-mind.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The odds of needing warranty on a 400 is small. The odds of needing warranty repairs that exceed $1,100 is miniscule. I would put the $1100 in the bank and ride happily into the sunset.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
46K + miles on my 07 before selling & nothing but normal wear items needed. Keep the $$

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I didn't buy the extended warranty for either my 400 or my 650. If I had they would have expired before I had any reason to use them. Extended warranties are just a bet you are making against the house. They are betting you won't need it and you are betting you will. Like most bets against the house, the odds favor them.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From that website for 1cc to 499cc bikes:

"All Suzuki SEP must be purchased while the Suzuki Limited Warranty is in force "

There are no other qualifiers as long as regular maintenance was performed. If the less expensive bike is currently covered with the OEM warranty then thats the one to buy.

Simply enter the VIN number and hit 'Add to cart' and VIOLA - you now have three more years of warranty for $444.95. You might show that to the Honda dealer so as to let them know they've overvalued that warranty. Or not.

Make sure you follow all of the scheduled services - one of their favorite things to do is try to worm out of expensive warranty repairs if you have missed a scheduled service. Even when the problem has nothing to do with something you might have missed.
No, you misread my post: the one at the Honda dealer has NO warranty!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
If you can wrench it yourself, and like many (including myself) prefer to do it yourself, the warranty has little value.

However if you cannot, or do not prefer to, DIY then go with the scoot that has the warranty...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My understanding is you can purchase the extended warranty straight from the website regardless of which dealership you bought the bike from.
The folks at the Concours forum were doing the same thing, only with a different dealership - someone up in Maryland. They were selling the warranty for hundreds of dollars less than anyone's local dealership.

A lot of folks were skeptical, but those who tried it, and then ran their VIN through the Suzuki dealership network, discovered that the cut-rate plan added the same months onto the warranty as the more expensive plans.

If I were buying a new(er) bike, I'd go for the cheaper warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts