Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the satisfied owner of a Burgman 400, but I just gotta ask ...... where did Suzuki get the name 'Burgman' from??? I know the scooter is called a Skywave in Japan, but I'd be interested in knowing why the bike is called Burgman in N.A.
Thanks

·
Banned
508 Posts
In Japan itself, the Burgman is called the Skywave. Everywhere else it gets the name that puzzles us so.

The theory you most often hear is that 'burgman' is German for 'urban man'. That may be the literal translation, but I have never heard any of our German-speaking forum members confirm that burgman is a real word.

I assume that the name Burgman is just a bit of (lame) creative license by Suzuki's international marketing team. Consider that GM staple of the 1980s and '90s, the Cutlass Ciera. Everybody knows what a cutlass is, but the heck is a ciera? Answer: A made-up word that Oldsmobile decided sounded cool. Sadly, it did not make the car cool; nor did the Cutlass part make the vehicle sharp. (For the record, yes, my father drove one.) :roll:

--Chris

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is from SFGate.com, where there is a writup on the Burgman:

"Burgman seemed to me a rather unlikely moniker for a Japanese-produced two-wheeler, so I felt compelled to ask where the name came from. I was told that it originated from the German term "Burg" for town or village which was governed by a leading man. Guess that makes sense, but I'm not sure my information source wasn't just pulling my leg."

·
Registered
365 Posts
Funny thing happened when I registered my Burg.
When I went for the insurance, of course they asked me what type of ride. I told them it was a Suzuki Burgman 400, scooter.
The women picks up the phone, I guess to call Allstate HQ, a 400cc scooter (???) didn't sit well with her.
Then she asks me (while on the phone with HQ), is it the Burgman or the Skywave.
I responded it that it was the same, just different names for other countries. She relays my statement to HQ.
She responded that it does make a difference in the premium and that the Skywave was more $$. That statement always stayed in the back of my feeble mind.

I just assumed it had to do with repair cost and part availability.

Capt

·
Registered
4 Posts
I read some where is from the german meaning Urbanman, and it was given a german name as it got released first in germany! But not sure if thats true of course! Sounds good though! :blackeye:

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Capt82 said:
She responded that it does make a difference in the premium and that the Skywave was more $$. That statement always stayed in the back of my feeble mind.
Skywave = Higher Compession Ratio = More Power

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
TheDarkCutlass said:
Capt82 said:
Skywave = Higher Compession Ratio = More Power
Imported version = anyone who has one must be rich = Higher Premium :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Redbird, my designation is "Backuprise" and real name is Fred from Denver. I have not been on this site for many months but have been a registered member for a while. But, I know the answer to your question. The way I heard a couple of years ago that the Burgmann scooter was named after the German engineer that designed the Scoot for Suzuki. The engineer is a female who actually designed the engine and transmission more specifically a CVT type which, because of the design, was a new unique innovation for two wheelers. So,
Suzuki named it after her. Hope that helps.....Backuprise

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Backuprise said:
... The engineer is a female who actually designed the engine and transmission more specifically a CVT type which, because of the design, was a new unique innovation for two wheelers...Backuprise
What was innovative about it? As far as I can tell, until the later B650 the transmission was a standard belt drive CVT identical not only to the other scooters of the day, but basically unchanged since it was introduced in the 1938 Salsbury. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/280866/the_history_of_motor_scooters.html?cat=27
Interestingly, I've seen a Model 85 running around El Cajon. I'd love to talk to the owner.

(image from http://www.motohistory.net/images/Salsbury.jpg)
8) Claude

·
Registered
23 Posts
I might be able to help on that,i have latest suzuki 2009 brochure with all the available in the UK,and on the burgman pages it says-Burgman comes from the German urban man..

·
Registered
126 Posts
And here in South Africa we seem to only get the Skywave somewhere I read another small difference between the Burgman and Skywave is the seat is a little lower and the handlebars are a bit closer together (I suppose for the Japanese stature)
Will have to physically measure so someone can compare with a Burgman.

P.S.
Thank goodness it's not called a Burgman here as the term (a Bergie) refers to a down and out person here in Cape Town.

Just some useless info
Bergie - pronounced either BERG EEE or BEAR"a gutteral G" EEE a person who lives on the mountain (direct translation)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts