Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know anyone enthralled with the name "Burgman" and "Skywave" isn't much better. I thought the name "Chinook" was appropriate for our bikes, its a name for the wind that that whistles through the Rocky Mountains.

So if you had a chance to make a suggestion to the Suzuki executives, what would you name our beloved bikes?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Suzuki Zedra 400

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
I guess my response is why bother. It's just a name and one is as good as another. That old a rose is still a rose thing.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Chinook is also the name of the largest species of Pacific salmon. (And a butt ugly fish it is). By the time Suzuki translates this, you will be riding the Pink Sashimi 650. Sorry Liam, gotta veto Chinook.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chinook is also the name of the largest species of Pacific salmon. (And a butt ugly fish it is). By the time Suzuki translates this, you will be riding the Pink Sashimi 650. Sorry Liam, gotta veto Chinook.
Lol. :lol: but, phonetically, Sashimi beats Burgman, IMHO.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I guess my response is why bother. It's just a name and one is as good as another. That old a rose is still a rose thing.
Tell that to John Deutschendorf, Norma Jean Mortenson, and Marion Morrison, aka John Denver, Marilyn Monroe and John Wayne, respectively. Or just about any rapper out there today. Somehow getting the latest song by Calvin Cordozar Broadus, Jr, just isn't the same as having it rapped by Snoop Dogg, is it?

As much as I'd like to agree with the Bard's words on this subject, names do matter. Just ask Chevy when they tried to sell the Nova in Mexico. "No Va" means "No Go" in Spanish. None of the Mexicans were buying the No Go car. Lol on that one.

Not to get political, but one side gives the new legislation a nice name, the opposition gives it a doom & gloom name, all in an effort to get the people behind them, either for or against.

So names do affect people's perceptions. I just thought it would be fun to come up with a new one for our cherished machines.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
How about Suzuki Kestrel ,otherwise known as a sparrow hawk.. Quick and agile.
I really like this one! It sounds good - with the hard 'K' giving it punch. Kestrel is also very fresh - it's not a word I've heard thousands of times. I also like the duality of the sparrow hawk - both common/humble and ranging/assertive. Well done! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I think Burgman Executive works well. Certain bit of polish to it.

Like Cadillac Seville

Nothing wrong with Burgman especially for Europe....city man.
Burgermeister is a prominent citizen....a bit round but powerful and a taste for fine things, sophisticated.

Fits perfectly.....so does this given the average age here...including the grin

·
Registered
255 Posts
How bout Ralph?....II always liked that name :)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
198 Posts
Kestrel doesn't sound too bad but I actually don't mind Burgman...an odd name for a odd bike. I also wonder how Kestrel would translate into other languages, they just might shorten it to Hawk which would sound too much like a cruiser bike. (or a Honda...)

·
Registered
585 Posts
+1 Kestrel. Of course I already named mine Shadow Hawk, so I'm partial.
Sounds like a Honda! Doubly so since Honda has used both of those for two different models.

·
Registered
182 Posts
How about a different name for each occasion... Like "ICE-BURG" when you ride in cold weather.. Or "PITTS-BURG" when you break down in PA. Then there is "HAM-BURG" when you go to McDonald's. If you do a lot of custom work on it, you can call it a "DEUTZEN-BURG". You can just call it a "BURG". If you live in a small town. If you are the mayor in a small town in Germany, you can call it a "BURG-ERMIESTER". Finally, if you have a group of riders all together the plural of "BURGMAN BECOMES BURGMEN". Just for fun ya know!! Now take it easy on me guys!! LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
How about Suzuki Kestrel ,otherwise known as a sparrow hawk.. Quick and agile.
Hmm. Kestrel & Sparrow Hawk are 2 different raptors. Both pretty small which these Burgmen are anything but ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd go with Jeff_MDR & the others on Kestrel. I also agree with him on what it would end up as after the Japanese have finished with it, probably Kaspar. On my visits to Japan I was amazed at the car names on the boot lids, they probably have 6 or 7 badges like GLXIR, GDBAD & Flying Bear but I think the worst was a Toyoya Emina. I purchased a cup that had pictures of some chickens on it & the narration was " Baby Chickens say Woof, Woof". !!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts