Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

· Registered
177 Posts
A Bell Qualifier for snow machines has a removable curtain that directs your breathe away from the shield & glasses

There is no difference between a $100 Qualifier & a $200 Qualifier other than the graphics

The difference between the Qualifier DOT & the Qualifier DOT/Snell is the styrofoam liner & some of the liner pieces are hot glued in to help with the helmet staying together for the 2nd impact as per Snell

In hot weather on my 650 with tall Givi windshield I wear a Bell full face off road helmet [with visor], glasses for eye protection
the air is calm enough to not dry your eyes out :D

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Unisex-Adult-QUALIFIER-ELECTRIC-certified/dp/B01LYU74VW?th=1

· Registered
337 Posts
I only use a full-face helmet. Because that's exactly how much of my face I would like to have remaining after a crash.

Brands: for me, Shoei, I have a Neotech and a couple RF-1100s. Got an Arai at a bargain price but it doesn't fit my head shape like the Shoeis do. Need a bunch of helmets because I have 4 kids and a wife who ride with me. Not usually at the same time.

· Registered
152 Posts
Always a flip up for me -- so much less hassle if you wear specs; no need to take your lid off when paying for petrol or popping into shop; built in sun visor means no swapping out of specs / shades; good for a quick gulp of water at the lights. For me, the extra bulk, weight (and sometimes noise) of a modular is more than compensated for by the benefits.

The only problem with flip-ups for me is my manly jawline aka a big chin :grin . Most modular lids press against my chin, which is not going to be fun in a crash. The ones I've owned are:

Caberg Justissimo: My first flip up and a good basic helmet.

Nolan 103: Nice helmet but I had to remove some padding in the chin area. Also, a few minor niggles for me such as the sun visor control and the visor release.

Nolan 104: Perfect helmet for me, they fixed all the niggles of the N103, plus loads of chin room. I got it for £165, which is a great price for a quality lid. The shell on the XXL one is huge though: only just fits under Burgman 650 seat or in my Givi V47 topbox!

I was eyeing the Shoei Neotec, which also fits big chins and and is a quality helmet, but I can buy 3 x Nolan 104s for the price and they have the same Sharp rating.

· Registered
6 Posts
I'll be getting a Burgman 650 soon. Along with saddlebags and some other things, the most important piece of equipment I'm looking at getting is a helmet.

On the superficial end of the spectrum: I do not want to get a helmet that says "I'm trying to be a biker". I want something good and comfortable, and also something that looks right on a scooter. I like the idea of a modular helmet where I can have an open-face while putzing around town (I live in the city) but something that offers good protection while touring.

Maybe I should add that I would like to get bluetooth headsets for my GF and I so we can chat while on long rides or I can listen to music while riding solo.
I prefer Bell Bullitt Moto III. The long-awaited remake of a dirt-bike original. This modern version has a fiberglass shell and a removable and washable terrycloth liner. It comes in seven vintage colors with the BELL MOTO III insignia along the bottom.

· Registered
27 Posts
I'm in the UK and wearing a helmet is MANDATORY. No ifs or buts unless you're a Sikh wearing a turban.

I have a few lids at my disposal. All Full Face.
I did own a beautiful Open Face DAVIDA in Duck Egg Blue with a MOD target on. Like a fool I sold it for a pittance :/

Shoei Multitec in Gloss Black w/Clear and Tinted visors and Pinlock anti-fog doodahs in them. Bought this new and its been great. Sadly its coming to the end of its life now.
... Bluetooth communicator in this one too.

Arai Astro - Race Rep SHINYA NAKANO irc? Photochromic Pinlock visor fitted this one too. Looks grey from outside but gives a blue tint looking through it.
Picked up second hand for £50. Hadn't been worn

Caberg Justissimo GT Modular (for my old man when pillion)
Had this one given. Told the old man I'd buy him a new one but he's happy with this and he's only worn it three times in six months.

Spada in White
Mate bought this online and it didn't fit. I bought it from him second hand but essentially new.

Nexx XR2 in White
... Bluetooth communicator in this one too.
Picked this one up from a clearance sale at a dealer. No box, no bag, no pinlock. Offered £20 for it, full retail was £250.

I may pick up an open face lid in the near future for just round town riding. Serious distance riding out of town will always be full face.

I guess I'm a bit odd in that I can wear bot Shoei and Arai. Neither helmet causes me any issues and both are comfortable on my head which seems at odds with what many people have said before. Perhaps my head shape is somewhere in between.

· Registered
577 Posts
Arai Quantum F, seems noisy. I just got it so I'm fiddling with the vents. It seals out the cold well though & thats why I bought it. Z1R full face that is quiet but leaks winter air like a seive. I tried on a Schuberth C3 Pro & it fit my head well but not my budget.

· Registered
166 Posts
I have a Bell Scout Air, which is moderate in price and fits well. The Bell name carries weight with me, and the helmet is comfortable and feels safe.
A full coverage helmet offers more protection, but I don't feel that it's enough more to justify it to me.

· Registered
64 Posts
I just bought Shoei Neotec II helmets and Sena 10S Bluetooth headsets for me and my wife. I avoided the dedicated Sena SRL headset for that helmet because of cost, unnecessary features and lack of earbud compatibility. Expensive? Yes. Is my head worth it? Yes.

· Registered
70 Posts
Helmets are such a personal thing and everyone's head shape is different. The Shoei design shape really fits my head comfortably.
I also like the fit of the Shoei but after mine was stolen I replaced it with the much cheaper
HJC-33 open face helmet. It has a pop up face shield and is available for under $75.
90 reviewers gave it an average rating of 4 stars (out of 5).

I don't think the HJC would be quite as attractive to a thief but I lock it in my top box even if
I am going to be away from my bike less than 5 min.

I have a full face helmet but it is usually just too hot here to wear it.
My HJC helmet is one size larger than I need but it is cool in the summer.
I am willing to sacrifice protection for comfort.

Snug fits are recommended for saftey but I only get it in the winter when
I wear a hat underneath. I will wear the helmet liner when the temperature
dips below 40.

Attachments

· Registered
1,183 Posts
I have a full face helmet but it is usually just too hot here to wear it.
My HJC helmet is one size larger than I need but it is cool in the summer.
I am willing to sacrifice protection for comfort.

Snug fits are recommended for saftey but I only get it in the winter when
I wear a hat underneath.
Wow, please don't take this personally but your post has some REALLY SCAREY thoughts in it... IMHO.

A couple of points. A properly fitting helmet IS comfortable. To small is of course uncomfortable, but too loose is dangerous. I sure hope a new rider just starting out doesn't read your post and think that's the way to go.

Oh, and BTW, I rode a Shoei Qwest FF across the Egyptian Sahara Desert. That was HOT HOT HOT..... but other than opening the helmet visor to the first stop, Full Face helmets were mandatory for the group.
How to keep cool.... just open wide and pour.......

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Safety gear is always a compromise that includes cost and convenience. If people where so worried about safety with helmets they would also be wearing a motorcycle neck brace every time which is just as important as a full face helmet. I have a one piece Aerostich Roadcrafter but I only wear it on long trips. Not to the local grocery store. I have an open face Bilt helmet I wear around town. I wear a Shoei modular helmet when I do cross country trips. I always thought the helmets I wore insulated me pretty well from the suns heat and rains squalls I would ride through.

Reactions: s-steel

· Registered
291 Posts
I'm a helmet hog. I have about 20 helmets from skid lids 1/2 helmets to full adv styles. The wind hits the helmets differently on different bikes & windscreen configurations.
As an example, my HJC-33 (Only using it as an example only because it was mentioned above and I have it) works fine except on my Kymco 400i with the Givi screen. The wind is channeled right up the side of my neck and causes bad wind roar.

My favorite helmet is my LS2 bagger helmet.

As far as safety, if you use less than me, it is scary and you are endangering your life. But if you use more than me, it is my right to choose and I'm gonna ride a motorcycle/scooter. :eek

· Registered
445 Posts
WOW, you must be rich because the cost of replacing 20 helmets every 5 years is more than most riders can pay!!! :eek :devil
As we all do...of course.

Reactions: willajabir

· Administrator
18,251 Posts
Lets see, crashed my Goldwing in Oct 2009, replaced helmet. Crashed my Burgman in Dec 2010, so 14 months. Replaced helmet May 2010. Crashed my Burgman in April 2015, 5 years. Replaced helmet in June 2015. 3 years 6 months so far.

Yep around 5 years or less I replace mine.:frown

81 - 99 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.