Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna go test ride a 2007 executive next week. What should I look for physically, and in the ride/handling. I've ridden other scooters (currently on a 250cc vespa) but not a burgie... Thanks.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
8,145 Posts
a 400 instead :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
mikeyMarine said:
That's what I did.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Only thing different to look for on the 650 from any other bike is the functioning of the ECVT. If you have never ridden one before, what the computer does as you slow down my surprise you. When you close the throttle to coast to a stop it will downshift the CVT as you slow. This causes a fairy heavy engine braking effect. The effect will stop abruptly at around 8 mph when the clutch disengages. It's normal so don't worry about it.

In auto mode ("D" showing on the dash indicator) it should up shift smoothly through the ratios as you accelerate. The engine rpm shouldn't jump much above 6,000 rpm even under heavy throttle until you are up to highway speeds. If it feels like it is hanging in one ratio and the rpm keeps heading toward the red line at city road speeds it may have a CVT problem.

If you push the grey power button while you are moving the engine rpm should increase something like the downshift an automatic car makes when you go into passing gear.

Manual mode is a little harder to check out until you are more familiar with the bike. The reason is the computer will not let you shift into a higher gear until you are moving fast enough to keep from lugging the engine. In manual mode the numbers should show on the dash indicator. It should move up through the numbers as you press the up button as long as you are going fast enough for the next gear. It should move down as you push the down button but again the computer will keep you from shifting low enough to over rev the engine.

Like many scooters it has a parking brake so check to see that it works OK. Also check to see that the trunk latch functions smoothly when you turn the key. Push the windshield button and see if it goes up and down. Push the mirror button and see if they fold in and out. Check the lower rear plastic body piece above the license plate to see if it is staying on tight.

Other than that just look for the things you would on any bike. Check the steering and suspension to see if they feel right, brakes, etc.

Oh yeah, don't listen to those 400 guys :lol:.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Buffalo said:
...Oh yeah, don't listen to those 400 guys :lol:.
Actually, I thought they were great! :lol: Us 400 members are a feisty bunch. :lol:

Chris

·
Registered
842 Posts
mikeyMarine said:
Only if you want it just to putt, putt, around town. For a real machine and if you plan on touring
get the 650.. :D

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
wayneman said:
mikeyMarine said:
Only if you want it just to putt, putt, around town. For a real machine and if you plan on touring

Better still, get both, it worked for me :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
wayneman said:
mikeyMarine said:
Mine will putt, putt down the interstate at 85 with plenty of throttle left.

·
Premium Member
8,145 Posts
ok so far all posts have agreed the 400 is the better machine, :blackeye: now can we please address the op question and help this guy out ?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
dchernikoff said:
I'm gonna go test ride a 2007 executive next week. What should I look for physically, and in the ride/handling. I've ridden other scooters (currently on a 250cc vespa) but not a burgie... Thanks.

-Dan
Buffalo had some excellent words...well, except for his last line.

Chris

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
It would be nice if and when a newcomer asked a question about the 650 (or the 400 for that matter) that forum members who have direct experience of the subject bike - provided help and those without that experience just quit evangalising about what 'they bought and ride'.

Parody:

Question:
I am thinking of buying a new dishwasher can anyone offer advice?
Answer:

Well I cannot help you directly but I recently bought a ride on lawn mower and it is the best ride on lawnmower in my neighbourhood as it seems to mow the lawns faster than any others. Sorry never owned a dishwasher - hope this is helpful to you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts