Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Newer to the forum. Just sold our Yamaha Rivas and are going Saturday to look at 1 -2007 and 1- 2008 - Burgman AN400. Both are about 1.5 hours from our home. Not sure what to look for specifically when buying used and very uncertain about price. This is the first one - 2008:
Suzuki Burgman 400. Bought new in 2010. 5900 miles. Very easy and comfortable to ride. CVT transmission so just twist the throttle and go. Will cruise easily at 70 mph and is very stable and comfortable to ride on the highway. Gets about 55 mpg around town.

Asking $2995
Second one - 2007:
If you're looking for something really reliable, easy to drive, and loads of fun, this Suzuki is for you! Runs great, no mechanical issues at all, and fairly new rear tire. It has the discontinued and much wanted Fehling backrest/luggage rack ($225.00 new) that makes 2 up riding really comfortable for the passenger. This bike can haul 2 people anywhere you want to go in comfort, even at interstate speeds. It also come with beadrider seat covers, and the headlight modification that allows both headlights to be on simultaneously for greater safety. There are a couple of blemishes on the muffler and a cracked headlight lens. I believe the lens is a surface crack only. Odometer 11900
Asking $2700
KBB & NADA average - retail and trade in added together then divided by 4 for the 2008 is: $3026 / 2007 is: $2848 am I nuts to think I can get both for right at or slightly under $5k? Both are individual sellers. They're about 1.5 hours from each other. Both located in Ohio. What should we look for? How long should we test drive? Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
They both look like fine bikes. I'm sure you'd be happy with either. However, if you have to decide between the two, I would get the 2008. The 2007 model was the first year of their new design and there were a couple problems with it. Namely the clutch. Suzuki Upgraded it from a three shoe to a five shoe model in 08. Plus Red has been scientifically proven to be the fastest color. :D

What to look for? Eh, usual stuff; garaged, maintenance records, oil changes, last battery change, etc. See if a coolant change has been done. Check tires, they last around 10-12k. If they're still original, they're old and probably should be replaced; plan on $350 for a set. Tranny belt & rollers last 20k miles, so both should be fine.

A 20 minute ride, including some freeway should give you a good feel for the bike. The 400 is not particularly quick, but it is fast. It will get up over 90, just bearly.

For those years in its highest drive ratio, the MPH = RPM / 100. So 7,000 rpm = 70 mph actual speed. The speedo will probably be 10%+; 70 mph actual = 77 indicated. So check that ratio... 77 mph on the speedo should be 7k RPM on the engine. If that's significantly off, there might be tranny problems.

Price? $2.5-3k for either bike.

If the bike feels like it has a judder or has an audible squeal when you take off, don't be alarmed; That is just a glazed clutch and it can be Deglazed at a minimal cost. My local shop charges $45.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Also note.....the '07 comes with the European
headlight system....only 1 headlight is lit on Low
Beam...both light up on High Beam.
The '07 model is the only year that Suzuki
did this to us in the USA.
(there are ways to resolve this..no big problem)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Liamjs and Duster. Kwajman1 - looking to possibly get both. Am I nuts to hope we can get both (different, individual (not dealership) sellers) for right at or slightly under $5k? Weather looking awful for Saturday and neither seller is available on Sunday. Might have to wait until next weekend. Will keep the thread updated. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts