Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my eyes on a used 2003 model. I have yet to check it out or even know what the mileage is on the bike. Seller just states that it is in ex shape and a one owner bike by a female.

I bought my wife an 08 400 1.5 year(s) ago and 6k miles and could not be more pleased with the 400. With the information I have from the 400 what can I glean to help me with the look see at the 650?

Pastor Tyler

·
Premium Member
14,253 Posts
Not much difference in checking the 650 from checking the 400. About the only thing extra you might want to do is pull the CVT pulley stopper bolt and check it for excessive ware. Excessive ware on that bolt can indicate a sick CVT. Minor wear is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

·
Administrator
18,704 Posts
Pastor, if you can get the VIN and call a Suzuki dealer and ask them to do a VIN check for the recalls on the 2003's. The wheelbearings and ignition switch had recalls.

I just bought a used 2003 650 with 35,000 miles for $2000. It does have a few things different from the 2005's and up but none that I am worried about.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have read in the past that they suffer corrosion on the underside, so a good idea to take a good look underneath at the frame/chasis.
I bought a 2004 with 24k on it and took the time to take the lower plastics off and found lots of rust spots especially around the welds and check around where the rear engine mounts are. Also you have probably seen threads about the deiseling noise at tick over. Fortunately read on this forum there is a modified primary adapter fron the polish guy. I would recomend instaling one as I ignored the noise getting worse on mine which caused a failure of the bearing on the primary shaft leading to a very expensive repair. Why not consider the k4 onwards executive model with electric mirrors which are essential for lane splitting.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Some good suggestions. The biggest things would be checking the stopper bolt as suggested by Buffalo and if it were me I would want to pull the left floorboard panel and the cover to access the CVT adapter bolt. I would look for fine powdered rust in there indication a potential problem with the adapter/splines or input bearing. If everything is fine and you purchase the bike I would immediately order Polish adapter from Mirek on eBay and install it before you ride it much. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Burgman-650-Dieseling-noise-fix-replacement-kit-DIESEL-/252122288441?hash=item3ab3a8d139:g:yLYAAOSwT6pVmASl&vxp=mtr This is an essential part to replace on all '02-'04 models ('02 sold overseas only).

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
What is your general area location, perhaps member here already know this bike and can assist you with info in some way.

2016 model year become available this month or in December which make this bike 14 year old now, price must be very good on this as if in accident insurance will valu a 14 year old bike, so not much chance of repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts