Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm really close on pulling a trigger on an '18 Burgman 200. It seems like it had been dropped (low speed) on its right side. Minor scrapes on exhaust and front fairing is a bit off. No breakage or cracks. It has less than 4k miles. I'm just wondering what to check before i buy it. The most i worry is frame damage since it was dropped at least once. I attached some pics of the damage. I test rode it in the parking lot and it seems to drive really good. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Edit… now knowing more a B200 would be a good choice for someone just starting out.

The not shifting gears is the beauty of the Burgman Family.

Reactions: e8tgrand

·
Registered
107 Posts
Personally I would not want the extra 100 to 175 pounds that you get with the 400 and 650.
As to assessing the 200.The frame is very stout, I have had the plastic off. If the frame is bent the plastic would be grossly damaged. If the fork are out of align it will show with bars not level when going straight. Again if the fork tubs are bent, there would be a lot of fender damage. Mine was sold with plastic scrapes from the being dropped by the gal who owned it as the 360 pound weight was to much for her to manage rolling it around in her garage.
A 2018 with 4000 miles on it is not really due for any major maintenance. As you can see the UH200 is not a popular model even on the Burgman USA forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can see that it isn't that popular. I couldn't find much information about it. I've seen 650 in person and it is humongous. I wouldn't want that. But i'd like to know the difference between the 200 and 400 in terms of storage capacity and overall size. I know 400 has dual disc brakes on the front and bigger engine. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of storage on the 200. I have never rode a scooter/moped before and to be honest, it is a bit weird not being able to shift gears.

Personally I would not want the extra 100 to 175 pounds that you get with the 400 and 650.
As to assessing the 200.The frame is very stout, I have had the plastic off. If the frame is bent the plastic would be grossly damaged. If the fork are out of align it will show with bars not level when going straight. Again if the fork tubs are bent, there would be a lot of fender damage. Mine was sold with plastic scrapes from the being dropped by the gal who owned it as the 360 pound weight was to much for her to manage rolling it around in her garage.
A 2018 with 4000 miles on it is not really due for any major maintenance. As you can see the UH200 is not a popular model even on the Burgman USA forum.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got into scooters after 50 plus years of motorcycling, as my wife found she could once again ride with me on a 2 wheel machine with a step through design. That being a Vespa Sprint 150.
The Burgman 200 was bought as it is more passenger friendly than the Vespa.
The main question is where you ride and what performance do you need. We find the Burgman 200 is very adequate for our rural roads and like I said the 360 pounds is all the weight I want to manage in my garage and in town riding.
I have a couple other motorcycles. A Beta dual sport and Gasgas trials. I like light weight machines.
Best place to compare dimensions for the models is right from the Suzuki motorcycle web site.
Art

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
The 400 and 650 are roughly the same physical size.

Reactions: e8tgrand

·
Registered
427 Posts
The 400 and 650 are roughly the same physical size.
B650 and B400 comparison:-
Burgmans Comparison.jpg Suzuki Burgman 200.jpg
I can see that it isn't that popular. I couldn't find much information about it
But i'd like to know the difference between the 200 and 400 in terms of storage capacity and overall size.
Burgman 200 Features include (In UK):
(Info from "The Bike Market")
Seat Height: 735 mm / 28.9 inches
Fuel Capacity: 10.5 litres / 2.3 UK gallons
Wet Weight: 163 kg / 359 pounds
Dry Weight: 152 kg / 335 pounds
Tubular Steel frame
Automatic CVT gearbox with belt final drive
240 mm disc up front with three piston caliper
240 mm disc at the rear with single piston caliper
Combined braking system
33 mm fork with 92 mm travel
Dual rear shocks with adjustable pre-load and 83 mm travel
Electric starter and fuel injection
Magnetic ignition cover coded to the key
Eco driving indicator.
Power: 18 bhp
Red Line: 9,500 rpm
Top Speed: 75 mph
The 13" front wheel takes a 110/90 tyre and the rear 12" a 130/70.

Storage is 41 litre under seat area holding two smallish full face helmets or one large. There are also two glove boxes in the steering column holding 7 litres between them, one being lockable, and an additional lower lockable glovebox holding a 12V socket.

It seems like it had been dropped (low speed) on its right side. Minor scrapes on exhaust and front fairing is a bit off. No breakage or crack
As to the damage shown in your pics, I've seen worse done to my car by a supermarket shopping trolley (cart)!:)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
if youre just going by the mileage and physical condition then its only those things. it is low mileage so it should be fine all around. if it was more, than opening the cvt and checking compression would be the minimum to check. plastics can be repaired.

put the bike on the center stand and the bike turned off. if it was on, let it sit a few minutes and check the oil level. see that its within the range needed
check brake rotors and if there are grooves in them. if its water cooled, remove the cap and check it looks good. no residue inside. those are the basics you can do.

good luck.

·
Registered
471 Posts
e8tgrand,
First off, welcome to the forum.
You mentioned "the fairing is a bit off'; how does it compare to the opposite side.? In the pics, I can only see a spot on the muffler and front fender. The side looks ok ... perhaps the outer shell doesn't match up with the black plastic neatly, but might be designed that way (compare to other side).?. That's just a guess.
There are a couple members here with 200s; although not as popular, there's still a lot of support.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. My main use will be for commute for work because I don't want to take public transportation at this moment. It will be 17 miles each way on local roads. I have tried using my ebike but it was just too much on me and too slow. i've had few motorcycles before and i kept downgrading (engine size). I started off with a 1300, then to 650 and now 200. I think i'll be happy with the burgman.

I got into scooters after 50 plus years of motorcycling, as my wife found she could once again ride with me on a 2 wheel machine with a step through design. That being a Vespa Sprint 150.
The Burgman 200 was bought as it is more passenger friendly than the Vespa.
The main question is where you ride and what performance do you need. We find the Burgman 200 is very adequate for our rural roads and like I said the 360 pounds is all the weight I want to manage in my garage and in town riding.
I have a couple other motorcycles. A Beta dual sport and Gasgas trials. I like light weight machines.
Best place to compare dimensions for the models is right from the Suzuki motorcycle web site.
Art

Thanks. I guess that's a good news. :) I'm thinking about having it checked by a motorcycle mechanic.

As to the damage shown in your pics, I've seen worse done to my car with a supermarket shopping trolley!:)

Thank you. I don't think i will be opening the CVT. But I'll definitely check oil levels and brakes.

if youre just going by the mileage and physical condition then its only those things. it is low mileage so it should be fine all around. if it was more, than opening the cvt and checking compression would be the minimum to check. plastics can be repaired.

put the bike on the center stand and the bike turned off. if it was on, let it sit a few minutes and check the oil level. see that its within the range needed
check brake rotors and if there are grooves in them. if its water cooled, remove the cap and check it looks good. no residue inside. those are the basics you can do.

good luck.

Thank you. The opposite side seems to be fine. No damage at all.

e8tgrand,
First off, welcome to the forum.
You mentioned "the fairing is a bit off'; how does it compare to the opposite side.? In the pics, I can only see a spot on the muffler and front fender. The side looks ok ... perhaps the outer shell doesn't match up with the black plastic neatly, but might be designed that way (compare to other side).?. That's just a guess.
There are a couple members here with 200s; although not as popular, there's still a lot of support.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have tried using my ebike but it was just too much on me and too slow
I can relate 100%. I had this last year when the b400 died. I quickly bought an ebike. what garbage they are. it was a horrific experience. I also had to do around 15 miles each way. around an hour each way. most of it on the highway on the shoulder where there are nails and glass and its rough pavement. people flying by honking at you makes you jump. it was the most creppiest time for me. I was depressed from it. get a 125 if you need to. it doesnt matter just get off the ebike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's exactly how i feel. A good 2/3 of my commute is on a service road and cars are zipping thru. I didn't feel safe at all. I even looked into faster ebikes but anything above 20mph is illegal without paddling.

I can relate 100%. I had this last year when the b400 died. I quickly bought an ebike. what garbage they are. it was a horrific experience. I also had to do around 15 miles each way. around an hour each way. most of it on the highway on the shoulder where there are nails and glass and its rough pavement. people flying by honking at you makes you jump. it was the most creppiest time for me. I was depressed from it. get a 125 if you need to. it doesnt matter just get off the ebike.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A nice plus for me has been the 70 to 80 mpg that the 200 has consistently given. Worst was in the high 60's.

Art

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
If you're ok with some minor cosmetic imperfections I say go for it. You can get some touch-up paint for the scratches, and removing and reinstalling the fairing might help the alignment problem.

I've got a carbureted 171 cc scooter that keeps up just fine on local expressways. I'm sure the B200 would be even more capable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MPG definitely gonna help. my car get like 13mpg in traffic. I'm gonna need some heated gear for the winter. And a place to get accessories and parts. Any recommendations?

A nice plus for me has been the 70 to 80 mpg that the 200 has consistently given. Worst was in the high 60's.

Art

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really don't mind the cosmetics. It isn't in bad shape anyways. I think for i'm getting a great deal for it. I will look into realigning the fairing once i picked it up.

If you're ok with some minor cosmetic imperfections I say go for it. You can get some touch-up paint for the scratches, and removing and reinstalling the fairing might help the alignment problem.

I've got a carbureted 171 cc scooter that keeps up just fine on local expressways. I'm sure the B200 would be even more capable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It could be a locking tab got pushed out with the tip over. I have found the plastic comes apart and goes back together in an order. It's a learning process, but it's pretty tough and have not broken any tabs or pieces. Dealing with removing and reassembling plastic makes maintenance on scooters in general frustrating.
If along a panel seam there is a bigger than normal gap the plastic pieces are probably not fitted together correctly. Compare one side to the other.

Art

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
MPG definitely gonna help. my car get like 13mpg in traffic. I'm gonna need some heated gear for the winter. And a place to get accessories and parts. Any recommendations?
heated is one thing, but the basics are a good jacket that youll need to use everyday. it should be able to block rain. you may consider a 2 piece rain suit. something like frog toggs, but not having experience with them I cant comment on the quality. ive ridden 23 years now straight through winter. we do not have snow here. but having owned many rain suits the pants, under prolonged heavy rain, have all leaked into my under pants and into underwear. the feeling sucks with the cold water seeping in. so I recommend you invest in a good pair of pant that will not leak. electric heated gear is on the expensive side. ive never owned any so do some research.

parts for maintenance, you have tons of options
I could not find the parts fiche for the 200 on ronayers.com

there is no 2018 year for parts for some reason though im certain if you compare they are the same under the plastics. they may have changed some plastics...possiby.

service manual thats printed $40

with a very quick duckduckgo search I could not find a downloadable version. do more searching.

you dont need too many tools to start. I think the bike, with the low miles is good to go. you may slowly start to accumalate the parts for maintenance. check air filter and run some air through it if its a bit dirty. personally I always change oil and plug on anything used Id buy. make sure brake fluid is topped off (cover all plastics before removing the caps) make sure coolant is at the right level and the reserve is filled to level too.

im happy for you that youre getting off the ebike. 15-20 minute rides are fine but I also had MASSIVE range anxiety I wouldnt make it and I could not max the throttle and always had to peddle to get to my destination. at times the bike speed dipped and realized I hadrly had juice left. it was stressful. that and crazy drivers who couldnt give a rats asz you exist.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you everyone for the inputs. I picked up the scooter and rode it home today. I gotta say, i thought it would be underpowered on highway but it performs pretty well for a 200cc. Loving the storage space. I just feel some rattle coming from the front end at certain rpm that i didn't notice during the test drive. The seller threw in a new bike cover, disc lock with alarm and kryptonite chain and lock. all liquids are in good levels. Oil was changed about 300miles ago. It has 2.6k miles so i'm gonna do a 3k mile service soon.

·
Premium Member
17,486 Posts
glad you got it, ! I was gonna say inspect all the wimmins where you bought it , but now you got it so,,,, too late

1 - 20 of 52 Posts