Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A riding buddy called me today to inform me his '04 400 is in the shop to replace front wheel bearings. I have mentioned him before since he has the greatest number of miles of any 400 I have heard - 30,000 miles. This news prompts me to wonder what the life expectancy of our 400's might be? Two weeks ago I replaced my buddy's drive belt $80. While in the repair process I found the rollers in his clutch were worn flat in spots so they were replaced $50. Last week he found his muffler had cracked $500. Oil usage on his bike is 3 oz every 150 miles. All, except the oil, within the last 1200 miles or so. Is my buddy the only one with enough miles to give an accurate expectation for life and service of the 400? Will we all be buying mufflers and rollers and oil at 30,000 miles? Or is he just having a spell of expensive bad luck? Surely there are burgman owners reading this forum with enough miles to give the rest of us an idea of what to expect.

Tim

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
So far at 24000, the belt, and CVT bearings (which could have been my fault). A little extra oil (maybe) have to check closer. Think the rear shock is gone (or going)
But that's about all, I hope for my sake your buddy is just having a run of bad luck :?
But like we all know, you can't check everything and sometimes worn items go unnoticed and then seem to all come up at once.. :(

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Tim said:
A riding buddy called me today to inform me his '04 400 is in the shop to replace front wheel bearings. I have mentioned him before since he has the greatest number of miles of any 400 I have heard - 30,000 miles. This news prompts me to wonder what the life expectancy of our 400's might be? Two weeks ago I replaced my buddy's drive belt $80. While in the repair process I found the rollers in his clutch were worn flat in spots so they were replaced $50. Last week he found his muffler had cracked $500. Oil usage on his bike is 3 oz every 150 miles. All, except the oil, within the last 1200 miles or so. Is my buddy the only one with enough miles to give an accurate expectation for life and service of the 400? Will we all be buying mufflers and rollers and oil at 30,000 miles? Or is he just having a spell of expensive bad luck? Surely there are burgman owners reading this forum with enough miles to give the rest of us an idea of what to expect.

Tim
First - 30,000 is quite some miles -so a minimum of 1500 each and every month and likely a fair bit more in some.

Second - well sometimes maintenance items happen like you describe. For a start the belt is a consumable item (no different to brake pads in that respect) and if this is not the second replacement belt he has done very well indeed (nay exceptionally well) and has probably been suffering from degraded performance for some time. The wheel bearings are almost in the consumables area (but not really) the 650s have had bearing failures at very low mileages. Maybe some preventative maintenance could have helped here (grease) but who knows the grease could have washed out during wet miles or pressure washing. in any case they are cheap generic parts (in $ terms).

Third the rollers (from the variator not the clutch) are sot of consumable, they are made of a nylon type material and operate in an aluminum alloy guide - so the aluminium will not wear, the problem is the rollers stop rolling after a while and start sliding. The shop time to strip the variator down and clean/inspect the rollers is too high so replacing rollers when worn out is probably the most cost effective option - mind you I am suprised at the cost - a set of malossi rollers is I am sure less cost than that plus you could have gone for a lighter set to improve mid range acceleration.

Penultimately, the muffler crack - s h i t happens and that is a tough break (pardon the pun) but is a product both of mileage, style of riding and road surface encounted and of course all these stress/fatigue the exhaust at what may be a design or metallurgical weakness (like a weld for example).

Finally oil consumption - not used to the units but it sounds significant :wink: I would be more concerned about this I think, than any of the above - at least he is checking every 150 miles so he should get an early warning of a potential 'BillMeek' failure (sorry Bill).

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
NormanB said:
at least he is checking every 150 miles so he should get an early warning of a potential 'BillMeek' failure (sorry Bill).
:p

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I wondered (and still do) what the eventual maintenance costs will be. Some things are expected (belts, pads, plugs, tires etc) of course. I would not include wheel bearings at 30,000 miles. My friends wheel bearing failure is because the bearings are only shielded on one side making them vulnerable to contamination from inside the wheel hub. But returning to the point, my concern is over the other things (muffler, transmission, Motor) - that is the costly things. I hoped there were others who had this kind of miles on their burgmans. A simple comparison would give an idea of what the life of these parts may be for the average rider. Randy's response reveals none of the same concerns as my friend's and his mileage is impressive. 6000 more miles (trouble free we hope Randy) will certainly help evaluate our riding cost expectations. I called this riding buddy that I spoke of to get his records. He keeps very detailed notes. Here is a few notes from his notes:

1. First drive belt replaced = 29,600 miles
2. Average rear tire mileage = 13761 miles
2. FRont tire mileage = 23009 miles
3. No brake pads as of 30,000 miles
4. Oil Changed every 2000 miles
5. Oil Filter changed every 6000 miles
6. Average fuel mileage for 30,000 miles 65.7 mpg. (This average includes winter riding with Givi Windscreen which significantly lowers mpg. Not including winter accessories 69 mpg average.)

The point is he is very meticulous keeping a close eye on every aspect of all of his bikes. With a few more burgman riders who ride like most of us old men and have accumulated high mileages perhaps we could get an idea of what is to come. This could be helpful - say - deciding whether to purchase an extended warranty for example. My riding buddy did and has more than received his money's worth.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Tim your friend has done exceptionally well on both the drive belt and brake pads and the tyre life is very good too. My guess he is touring more than commuting and hauling some long cruising distances. In more average use I would expect the drive belt life to be around 20,000 miles.

You make some excellent points in your post and this sort of data is exactly what the forum could usefully collect.

Did your friend note the exact location of the exhaust system crack and was it at a weld?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Muffler break

Hi Norm,

The break he reported to me is at the weld under the chrome cap where exhaust exits. But his complaint of "noisy" makes me wonder if there isn't another break/failure in the system. What he has is a small hairline break in the weld not a hole so I questioned how it could be so much noisier. He is checking it today.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Tim -methinks you are spot on :wink:

·
Registered
806 Posts
When did he check his valves and have they required adjustment as of yet?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Valve adjustment reply

Sorry about being so slow answering but it's been hectic around here lately. In response to the question of valve adjustments on my friend's 30,000 mile B 400:

4-16-04 861 miles Was done at the dealer who reported no adjustment
7-8-04 7075 miles Intake - .002 Exh. .008
11-4-04 15875 miles No adjustment needed
5-20-05 23441 miles Intake - .005 Exh. .007

Hope these help.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks. I from what I see there what I suspected is spot on. After the season, I will have "around" 10K on the bike. At that time, I am going to run through the bike front to back. Anything that needs to be done or looks like it will need to be done within the next 10K will be addressed.

-I will change the back tire..the front one looks like I might get 20K out of it all told.

-The belt might look brand new, but for less than 100 bucks, I am changing it.

-Wheel bearings service

-valves. Once I check and adjust, I won't check them again until 30K.

-rear end oil

-Air Filter

-coolant.

Did I miss anything?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts