Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at '08 400 Burg with 20K on it and am trying to figure what replacements might be expected with the CVT. I would think the drive face plates would definitely need replacing, along with some new
sliders/rollers, but what else might I encounter?

Also, didn't the '08 have a recall on an electronic module?

Any other things I should be aware of?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The only thing that has a pretty high probability of needing replacement is the belt. And the tires.

Rollers would be an inspection item and replaced PRN.

I'd be surprised if the plates needed replacing.

The only electrical weakness I'm aware of is the voltage regulator and that is only on certain VIN's (IIRC).

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You should be fine on the face plates. I'm at 42k and still haven't done mine. I think 50k is the time to start being concerned.

At 20k, new belt, rollers while you're in there, clutch deglaze and a final drive oil change. $300 or less if you dyi, $500 at the shop.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I just did a replacement of front pulley 'face-plates' at 45,000 miles
only because we were into the whole CVT for bearing replacement.
The bearings wern't 'bad', but they felt waxy & stiff when turned.
My 3-shoe clutch measured about 50% wear, so we put it back in.
Also installed 18g Dr Pulley sliders & a new belt. Been replacing the
belt regularly at about 15,000 miles. I figure that I am now good
for another 45,000 miles. ( I kept the original pulley face-plates)

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Only other possibility, might be cvt filter, if the existing is damaged in any way.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks for the feedback. Waiting to hear from the guy who ran the ad but he hasn't responded to my PM yet. May have sold it already. There is a couple of Yamaha Majesty's in the area for sale. I've had one once and liked it but there is a lack of dealers for the Yam I'm a little leery of getting one again. If the Burg doesn't pan out, may just wait till I find another.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Also, didn't the '08 have a recall on an electronic module?
I don't know if it was a recall, but my 2008 had a bad STP (secondary throttle position) sensor. The dealer told me they had changed the part and part number. He said they do that, often, when they've had some reoccurring problems and have to redesign.

If it was a recall, they would of had to fix it for free -- which, of course, they did not.

John

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If you test ride it, and it makes rattly-knocky sounds, that's probably the rollers sticking due to belt dust, which many people don't clean out as they should. If you go to the trouble of R&R the CVT case, you might as well get Dr Pulley 18 or 19g sliders to replace the rollers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts