Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

this morning I went for a visit in the hospital (nothing dramatic, btw) and as I was back I noticed the plastic frame below the rear lights and the plate was missing. Beside there was another burghman my same color so I could notice what was exactly missing (and no, I didn't replace before to go).

The only thing the came to my mind is that I made a bit too fast the big roman stones pavement which we have a few roads made of still (altough I live in Milano, that's the kind of pavement in some areas).

Is it that softly locked or some nice guy decided he needed the part ?

how much can it cost ?

holy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have only owned mine for 2 months and have lost one of the reflectors off the left rear quarter panel and the chrome ring that attaches to the end of the muffler. maybe if you retrace your path you can find it laying about? Or the other option is some douche bag stole your tag.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did locate the probable area it jumped off and there was none around, so it probably kicked out the way real fast, fortunately nobody shot me right after I didn't took nobody behind me. That is the only reasonable place it could have get lost. Maybe it was below some roadside parked car, I didn't check them all. However, I don't believe somebody picked it up in the hospital. Basically, it's the least sold bike in Italy, first. and second, if the other guy took it, he wouldn't have left it parked there for sure...

I believe I lost it around, and now I wonder if it's just put put up with no seals. Ill call the mechanics and hear if he has a spare around..... How weird.

checked on ebay and that's the most cheaper part I could loose. some sell as low as 10 euro. what the....

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
That panel is not secured real well. Just to of the push pin type fasteners keep it from falling off. All the other fasteners are just hooks between the plastic. I someone wanted it yes they could take it off in just a minute or twwo.

Over time the push pin fasteners have a habit of working loose and falling out. If you don't notice it in time the panel can fall right off. I replaced the push pins on mine with zip ties. Other folks have replaced theirs with speed nuts and screws. Either one makes a more secure method to hold the panel on.

·
Registered
426 Posts
That panel is not secured real well. Just to of the push pin type fasteners keep it from falling off. All the other fasteners are just hooks between the plastic. I someone wanted it yes they could take it off in just a minute or twwo.

Over time the push pin fasteners have a habit of working loose and falling out. If you don't notice it in time the panel can fall right off. I replaced the push pins on mine with zip ties. Other folks have replaced theirs with speed nuts and screws. Either one makes a more secure method to hold the panel on.
Ditto to that method... zip ties +1 and they are still in situ... easier in some ways to remove, just cut the zip ties.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had broken off two of the hooks on my rear cover and ordered a new one.

It cost me $75 with shipping.

I have an 07 AN650 and the part number is 47321-10G0 (those are zero's, not "O's")

I got mine from www.metricpartsoutlet.com

I am going to replace the push pins with speed nuts and bolts tomorrow.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That's kinda funny, I got hit by a deer yesterday and it sheared off the push pins of this very part. No other damage to me the bike or the deer :)

I did not loose the panel fortunately and saw it hanging a little when I got home.

I took it off until I could get some new push pins, now going to put on zip ties :)

Thanx guys.

·
Registered
426 Posts
aside from the aforementioned zip ties, I also drilled a couple of small holes beside each tail light, through where the two upper and lower panels overlap, then inserted a couple of push pins as added security, as sooner or later plastic zip ties do perish, so want to have something that keeps the lower panel in place in that event

·
Registered
704 Posts
Lost mine two weeks ago and replaced it last week. Zip ties here.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The lower panel attaches with those two reuseable plastic expanding push pins that over time get brittle and loose the fingers that hold it, there's 2 hooks molded on either side and a hoop at the top that holds a rubber grommet (sold separate from the panel) that holds it onto a tab from the panel above it. I as of yet haven't had any issues on my bikes but I like the idea of clips/screws like those used on some of the other panels.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
MJR, if you ride one long enough it will get to the point that even new push pins will not stay in those two holes. The holes just seems to get bigger I suppose from friction as the panels move around. Since those two push pins face downward they just fall out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I noticed my "push pins" getting lose at times when I first bought my K-9 and had to push them back in again.

To prevent losing my "push pins", I covered the whole bottom area with DUC tape. So far been lucky as approaching 4 years and 12,000+ mi. The push pins and DUC tape are still secure as when I bought my K-9 Exec :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
After my right side hooks broke off (my fault), I used a piece of 2" wide black vinyl tape and the push pins to hold the panel on while waiting for the new piece to come in. It worked great.

You couldn't tell there was tape on the part unless you got right down on your knees and rubbed your finger over it. I may just tape the new panel the same way..plus zip ties. It will never come off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Called the great guy at Japanmoto in Milan and it came out brand new is merely 42 eur (58 usd).

Ill try to sort out how to put it in with any kind of permanent glue on zipties.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
MJR, if you ride one long enough it will get to the point that even new push pins will not stay in those two holes. The holes just seems to get bigger I suppose from friction as the panels move around. Since those two push pins face downward they just fall out.
Possible, though every time I take that panel off I inspect those push pins and have had to replace 1 or 2 for the fingers breaking off. So far so good on both the '09 (23K) and '03 (28K) knock on wood but screws/clips would be nice. I've seen a local rider buzzing around without that panel on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts