Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E-bay fell through. Now looking at new 2005 650. Anything I should know about a new unit. Items to be carefull about? Dealer issues?
Thanks
Hope to do this week. Dealer has one (In warehouse)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Ask them what they charge for first and successive services. That price seems to vary. Ask to see their service dept. If it's a grimy disorganized mess, you might want to find another dealer.

You might ask if they'll offer a discount on accessories if you buy the bike. Some do, some don't. I got cost on two helmets, and 15% off the backrest price.

Ask him for his best price inclusive out-the-door. Many tack on dealer/setup/shipping/whatever charges AFTER you've agreed on a price for the bike. Nasty trick. Walk out if they do that.

Take the scooter for a short ride. If they don't let you, it may be because they haven't got it all set up right/yet.

Hope that helps.

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
1) When you go in for 600 mile and 4000 mile services, make sure they check the paper version of the service manual and charge you based on that. The computer program that many dealers use lists valve jobs that are not needed on the 650, but only on the 400 (different system). The 650 doesn't require anything until 14,500 miles, and that's only a tappet clearance inspection.

I was charged more for my 4000 mile service than for the 7500 mile service, even though less work was actually needed. To their credit, when I discovered the problem my dealership wrote me a refund check on the spot. Unfortunately when I was in there today I found that the computer system still had not been updated/changed.

2) The California models (E-33) require an inspection of the throttle valve synch at 600 miles, other USA models only need this at 7500 miles, 14,500 miles, etc.

3) The break-in limits in the manual are often disregarded by owners. Engines today aren't the same as they were 30 years ago, and some experts suggest that some hard accelleration will seat the rings better than if you baby it.

Whichever method you use, though, don't hold steady RPMs for long stretches during the break-in period. Stick to city streets and short stretches of highways, and leave the long freeway trips 'til later.

HTH.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great info. Going to spend the day looking for a dealer to work with. May look in Nevada, have some address to use. Does anybody know what the main difference are between California machines and the rest?

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lckdragon said:
Thanks for the great info. Going to spend the day looking for a dealer to work with. May look in Nevada, have some address to use. Does anybody know what the main difference are between California machines and the rest?
The primary difference is the California evaporative emissions system.

Unless Nevada requires California emissions, if you buy a new model in Nevada, you will not be able to register it in California. Similarly, if you buy a used non-California model, it must have at least 7500 miles on it to be considered used for California registration purposes; if it does not, you will not be able to register it.

While you can certainly play games with Nevada registration with it domiciled in California, you'd also want a Nevada license. I've heard a number of lousy stories of people gaming the system, and they nearly always end with a punchline of the out-of-state vehicle being towed and impounded.

Greg

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Lckdragon said:
Depending on how much of a hurry you're in, in may be able to get a Nevada dealer to order a California model for you, and still pay less than you would buying the same bike in California.

The California versions are called "E-33" models. Canadian model is E-28, UK is E-02, European Union is E-19, Australia is E-24, and USA excluding California is E-03.

A few of the differences between the E-03 and the E-33 are:

E-33 has Evaporative Emissions Control, including an evap canister mounted to the frame just behind the fuel tank, a surge hose between the TCP valve and the canister, and a purge hose between canister and throttle body.

E-33 has catalytic converter in exhaust system. (I think all models except the E-03 "USA Model" have catalytic converters, but they may differ from the E-33's.)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Things to know...
  • Price should be negotiable. If the dealer won't budge off of suggested retail, check another dealer.
    [/*:m:jhgv2r5x]
  • Negotiations can include more than price. Try to get them to add in the break-in service for free as part of the deal. If you need riding gear, negotiate in a discount on what you want (helmet, gloves, jacket, whatever).
  • Be sure you get the full out the door price before agreeing to terms. As mentioned in another post, dealers often add setup & delivery fees to the price. Knowing this up front saves you from unpleasant surprises later.
  • Let them know that you are active in the maxiscooter community and that if you get a good deal you'll let everyone know how pleased you were. Without mentioning it, they will understand that you will also let folks know if you think the dealership treated you poorly.[/*:m:jhgv2r5x]
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Minnmax is very correct. My guy knocked 500 off my msrp and discounted the passenger backrest (that he had to order) and gave me my 600 mile checkup free (though I didn't use it - I went to the local dealer in FWB).

This sort of thing (price) however, depends on the popularity of the vehicle (that's why I don't broadcast how great the thing is!) Here in the redneck riviera almost all simple folk are "duh - me want harley or harley look-alike" hence - my Moonpie sat in the Pensacola dealership for about 4 months before I bought it over the phone without even looking.

So - I suggest looking for one in the southeast somewhere. IMO it's simply a matter of finding "conservative" states that can't "turn 'em" as fast as they can turn the good old red white an blue cruiser herd machines.

pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts