Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone concerned.
I have a 03' 400 Burgman... everything is great, but... I would like to upgrade to the 650. I have found one, at a suzuki dealer, new and still in the crate, a 650, but its a 03'. The question is, should I buy this or wait for a 05', is there much difference between the 2 years. The dealer is automatically taking 1,000. off and will probaly go a little more, and it will have the standard 1 year warranty from the date I purchase it. Does this sound like a pretty good deal? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely,

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
I have an 03, and have had few problems. It depends if you want the lastest and greatest. There was a few some members have had some issues(wheel bearings) , I have not. If the dealer could give you the vin#, it may help to see if you may have any potential problems.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Marty,

Until the new model is actually available, I tend to treat all info as rumor. The Suzuki media site lists the following changes to the 2005 Burgman 650:

* Center section of front cowl changed from black color to body color for improved appearance
* Turn signal lens changed to white color for improved appearance
* New transmission Over-Drive feature for better fuel economy at highway speeds
* Fuel consumption indicator, temperature indicator and Over-Drive indicator added to the instrument panel

If you're planning to do a lot of touring, the over-drive would be nice to have. On the other hand, you can buy a lot of fuel for $1000. I'd negotiate with the dealer a bit and see how low he goes. Point out the new features you've heard about the 05's. He may give you a real steal to dump it before the 05's hit the showroom.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I bet you a quid there is no overdrive on the Burg 650 no matter which region! :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
I believe you should be able to get the 03 for around $6200-$6050 flat, I sure would not pay anymore for a 2 year old bike not even new. Don't forget when you want to trade up or sell it all will look at it being a 03 not when it was first put into service and we all know that once out the door it worth almost half what it cost new.

Another thing to consider that Suzuki will be re doing the Burgman for maybe the 06 or for sure a 07 model because the Burgman 650 is almost 5 years old and to stay competitive they have to make a major upgrade on the bike as all the others are hard at work to beat them out and if we believe the rumors about the so called 900cc that is being tested then you can see why the 650 will be worth even less in a few years.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
NormanB said:
I bet you a quid there is no overdrive on the Burg 650 no matter which region! :)
I'll take that bet. Just to be one the first to try "Gambling for Burgman options". Sounds like a new TV reality show. :lol:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have thought about purchasing a 2005 Burger 650 but have decided to wait for the 2006 model. I think that Suzuki is going to have to make some changes to the 650 or introduce a new model before the competition takes away part of their market share. I like the thought of a 900cc motor, and then add ABS, cruise control & larger wheels etc. and I would have a mini Gold Wing at half the cost.

Cheers

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm getting an '05, cause I want one. Also 'cause they are coming in Blue.
now, if they also come with all the new goodies that have been posted here, then thats frosting on the cake, so to speak.
either way, its an '05 in blue for me, new gadgets or not.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I wouldn't bet on upgrades. Some popular bikes never get anything other than cosmetic changes (Suzuki Bandit and Katana's, Yamaha V-Max, Kawasaki Voyager, Honda CB's, Harley...).
I have an 03, and was told that the 5th gear was an overdrive... The fuel computer would be nice - but I don't think it's worth $1000. I would be interested in upgrading it for say $200 though...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Robert said:
I wouldn't bet on upgrades. Some popular bikes never get anything other than cosmetic changes (Suzuki Bandit and Katana's, Yamaha V-Max, Kawasaki Voyager, Honda CB's, Harley...).
I have an 03, and was told that the 5th gear was an overdrive... The fuel computer would be nice - but I don't think it's worth $1000. I would be interested in upgrading it for say $200 though...
Add the Kawasaki Concourse to the list. Only upgraded once in 20 years of production... Still a decent bike for the money though. The Kawi KLR650 is another one.

5th in manual on an '03 actually seems to be geared a little lower than if you just leave it in auto. Definitely not an overdrive. Whoever told you that was blowing smoke. But I suspect that the '05 might actually have overdrive. We'll soon find out I guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
buying 650 03

What is a good price for an 03 650 with almost 20K on it. It was traded at a dealer and they went over it and say it is in good shape. They are asking $4999. I want them to install a Givi box w/backrest in that price.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Mera, I would say the price is on the high side. While the bike should have not problems due to the mileage, it does have a psychological effect. I would be surprised if they have $3,500 in the bike.

·
Registered
611 Posts
NADA value is $4,465 to $5,865, so if it's clean then it can be a good deal. The thing is though - that 20,000 is a lot of miles for one year - especally for a 2 wheeler. I'd offer $4,465 and cite the mileage...

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
My opinion - 20,000 miles is a lot in one year BUT that is not on its own a damning consideration.

My take is that the owner was a serious rider who if he took all things as seriously as his (or her!) riding is likely to have maintained and serviced the bike so that it did not let him down during a serious trip!

Now, if you can square that hypothesis with evidence, service history and bills AND there is some decent rubber on the bike then it may well be worth considering.

The corollary is the 'clean only 5K miles' machine owned by a posing old fart who did not know one end of the bike from the other, ran it a couple of clicks to the local store, never got the engine warm, rarely checked the oil level blah blah blah - now that is the bike to avoid!

Ho Hum :) :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Marty, I guess it also depends on where you live and your budget.

If you are in a part of the country where everyone puts their bikes away for the winter :( , then you probably should wait until the 05's are out in the Spring (since you can't ride anyways).

If you live in a warm place :sunny: where you can still ride, then I would try to get the dealer down as far as he'll go and enjoy :) the '03 now, knowing that it won't be your last Burgman.

That's what I did...I am thoroughly enjoying :thumbright: my '03 now and saved a bunch of money to-boot. 8) Money that I can spend on accessories and good personal safety gear.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Robert said:
The thing is though - that 20,000 is a lot of miles for one year - especally for a 2 wheeler.
But not too bad for an almost 2 year old bike. Several of the forum members here put on 10k miles a year.

·
Registered
822 Posts
NormanB said:
What is a quid? Dictionary.com lists several meanings http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=quid, from a wad of gum or chewing tobacco to a piece of food falling from someone's mouth to a type of British coin. Which meaning were you referring to?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The slang term for a British Pound is Quid. One Pound Sterling is referred to as "A QUID" , Five Pound Sterling as "Five Quid" and Ten Pound Sterling as "Ten Quid".

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bill, I have it on good authority that Normanb was referring to a plug of chewing tobacco. After the torture of his last valve adjustment, it was either that or drink....and we all know the Brits never touch the hard stuff!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts