Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the Givi 21L hard bag, EA101 Soft bag also the Tourmaster XL bags III, Med Garage Pro Top Boxs as side bags and the Nelson-Rigg CL-855. I will make my own mount if I go with a hard case. One of my problems is weight. I tour with my wife and we camp, I have bought good quality equipment but we still are right a our limit with gear and us. I want something that look good, in that sense I like the hard bags because they do not fade like the soft bags. I have found if you get the black bumper paint it makes the bags look good. What are your thoughts. I have the Walmart side bags now but need something bigger for a 5 day trip at the end of the month.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have Givi E21's (21 liters each) for local riding and Givi E-41's (41 liters each) for touring. Although rather expensive, this setup works very well for me. For a top-box, I have a Bestem T-Box 929 (46 liters). Just have to keep in mind that you need to keep heavy things as low on the bike as you can. I use the top box to carry stuff that is light and I will need access to frequently while on the road.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you like the E21? Do they look good with the bike and the 929? I currently have the 929 on top and considered the Garage pro because it comes with a mounting bracket that I could modify. How much weight and wind resistance do you think it adds? Do you have pics ? Thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would personally buy the Nelson-Rigg CL-855.

As I like something that can be easily removed, when i dont need it on the bike, when i am just cruising around and dont want the extra width/heft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the looks of a hard bag that was built for the bike or one that looks like it was. I have bags on cruised that were waterproof and vinyl and looked really good. They worked good and made the bike look good. The closest thing I can find now is Tourmasters at $188.00 but they are one 6 in wide. That was the other thing they held there shape empty. How does that CL-855 look on the bike I can not find an image anywhere?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I have a set of Nelson-Rigg 850's, that I am very happy with. Easy-on, Easy off, and they're only for occasional use.

When it comes to adequate storage, I'm much more of a function-over-form, as opposed to form-over-function, type guy. This is especially true of temporary fit equipment, where I can ride somewhere, and remove them when I get off the bike.

So I don't really care what they look like. But if asked to summarize what they looked like on the bike, my answer would have to be "Bulky, and functional. Not attractive, but not hideous either."

If I was looking for another set, I'd certainly look to Nelson-Rigg first, to see what they have now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Over many years of riding I had a few sets of soft luggage stolen. I prefer hard luggage locked to a rack. I do have a Nelson-Rigg CL1040 tail bag behind me but it is cable-locked to under my seat and I try not to keep anything valuable in there (can still cut the cable loose).

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't want any bags other than a duffle or roll bag on a scooter but have increasingly come around to soft bas on a m/c. They are easier to deal with and hugely cheaper. Never had anything stolen or vandalized.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Have been using Nelson Rigg CL-850 since own 2005 650 and now 2009 650, use them mostly for sleep away ride or trip, they are 35 litre capacity each, but you not ever have enough space when on multi day trip. These have not faded as always put on NR supplied rain cover on top, do not want to stop to put on rain cover after, rain cover come off at destination, these look like new still, have kepp shape as well after so many miles of use.

Me prefer soft saddle bag for many reason, easy on easy off, hug bike side instead of having 2-3 inch space between bike and hard case side, like that hug look, no maintenance required for these, no hardware for come loose or rattle or need bolt to be thighten, very easy to store, never in way when wash bike, knot scrape knuckle on side case hardware when wash bike.

However hard side case more impressive to other people or if need locking capability because leave bike at work or something for several hour than locking side case good. Which not been case for me so far and presently not need more than that.

In my case would try and find soft bag set of approx. 30 to 40 litre capacity each again as have never had thing stolen before or any other problem with soft side bag.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I so rarely use saddle bags that I bought the Bilt Bags from Cycle Gear. They fit and work well and being soft side can be over stuffed. Just put the softer items packed on the side that rests against the bike. ;)
They have slightly changed the design now and run them on sale twice a year. I recommend them for occasional touring but probably not for the hard core living on the road types.
PS - I sling the straps under the seat so I can access the trunk easier without having to lift the bags. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The new Cl-855 is much smaller than the old 850. I still may go with it. If there was a hard bag that hugged the side I would do that. I have a small set of soft bags now and they work fine, but I need more room and trying to get weight lower. I put 2" adhesive velcro, the soft side on my body where the bags rest to protect the sides of the bike. I really wanted a hard side bag but it looks like the Cl-855 is the way to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts