Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I would like to know at what rpm's does your clutch start to engage.
When cold, mine engages right at 3000 rpm's. I was wondering if that's normal?
Thanks! Mike

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah, thats when mine starts grabbing, slips more depending on how much throttle and all.

·
Premium Member
8,332 Posts
for the 08 ,i believe the book says 2800 to 3200 higher for later models, on center stand and with wheel held still with light pressure, both my 08's started at 2800

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looking at the service manual for a 2007 AN400 it lists the engage rpm as between 2100 and 2600. In 2008 the engage rpm was raised to between 2500 and 3100. In 2009 Suzuki again changed the engage rpm to between 2600 and 3200. The lock up rpm has always been between 4000 and 5000 so maybe the increasing engage rpm was also done to limit the amount of time before reaching lock up and reduce glazing(?).

Also the three shoe clutch for 2007 had a friction material thickness of 3 mm, with a minimum limit of 2 mm. In 2008 the three shoe clutch was replaced with a five shoe clutch with a friction material thickness of 5 mm, still with a minimum limit of 2 mm, Maybe they went with a softer material to limit glazing so they added more material to compensate for greater wear. Also I read somewhere that the 5 shoe design actually has less surface area than the 3 shoe.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
When I had my 07 400 I would start moving when the RPM reached 2100 or 2200.

Bill

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! Mine's working like it should. This is the first "automatic" transmission I ever had on a motorcycle. I think I just need to get the cover off and blow it out real good since it only has 9,500 miles on it. However, what I'm going to do is put in some 19g sliders when I get the cover off.
That will probably be this weekend since I'm going to take both wheels off for new tires and get the seat recovered, I'll be down a couple of days.
Dang! I like riding this scooter!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My new tires came in two weeks ago. Just can't make myself stay off of it long enough to get tires replaced. Love that Burgman grin!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hot or cold.........the clutch engages at about 3000 RPM......... Mine is an '08 400...........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts