Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an an400 k9. The clutch cuts in at 3000rpm on the way up and disengages at about 2500rpm/30kmh on the way down. Is this normal? It leaves me freewheeling, when slowing down, a bit sooner than I would like. I'm sure the clutch on a k7 I used to own stayed engaged to a lower speed. The bike has only done 18k Kms.

What can I do to adjust the the clutch disengage revs?

Thanks

· Registered
2008 Burgman 400
204 Posts
Due to different clutch upgrades, mine engages at 3500, I’m not sure where it disengages at. I’ll guess at around 2500 and at low speed Is when I notice it. I’m so used to it I don’t pay much attention anymore. I just ride and enjoy.

· Premium Member
9,807 Posts
first, welcome to the forum
second do the seat release mod, it won't help your problem but it's a real good idea
thirdthere were differences between the clutch on the 07 and 08 and since you owned an 07 ;you are familiar with the workings back there, I aint surebut maybe, mayyybee different sliders or clutch would give you more of what you want, also they may give you less of what you want and money spunt you could have used for refreshin beverages:cry:

· Registered
2012 Burgman 400
351 Posts
I have an an400 k9. The clutch cuts in at 3000rpm on the way up and disengages at about 2500rpm/30kmh on the way down. Is this normal? It leaves me freewheeling, when slowing down, a bit sooner than I would like. I'm sure the clutch on a k7 I used to own stayed engaged to a lower speed. The bike has only done 18k Kms.

What can I do to adjust the the clutch disengage revs?

Thanks
Sounds about how mine works...

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,203 Posts
As mentioned by others your clutch "out" rpm of 2,500 is fairly normal, IMO, what is not normal is the speed it happens, 30kph or 18mph is high, it should be approx. 20kph/12mph, have you had your CVT checked or serviced, belt measured, more specifically the rear pulley assy. sliding sheaves freedom of movement and/or internal lubrication, torque spring, clutch, etc. Maybe your rear pulley is sticking or torque spring is weak (they rust fairly easy). IAC plenty info to be found on a search, on all of it, or ask.

My scooter CVT is freshly serviced and has several mods, I can drive down to 10mph/16kph before my clutch disengages. Just tried it yesterday!

Not sure about your skill level, some disassembly required :(, but here's a pic of a mod I did to my Suzuki/OEM clutch which lowered rpms some, to approx. 2,200 rpms. BTW, 1.5-2mm larger hole.

Hand tool Diagonal pliers Pliers Metalworking hand tool Bicycle part

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,203 Posts
Well, that table confirms that clutch operation is in limits, RPM wise, but the OP issue is not rpms "pers se" is vehicle ground speed or KPH/MPH when the clutch disengages, KIM that those rpm values are crankshaft, not the clutch shaft :unsure:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, that table confirms that clutch operation is in limits, RPM wise, but the OP issue is not rpms "pers se" is vehicle ground speed or KPH/MPH when the clutch disengages, KIM that those rpm values are crankshaft, not the clutch shaft :unsure:
Thanks very much for taking the time to pass on all the good info. I'll do some research. I'm ok with general vehicle maintainance and I do know roughly how a CVT works but apart from changing the oil and blowing out dust, I've not touched it. I'll have a look to see if one of Mick's youtube videos covers a service.

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,203 Posts
I see that you only have 18K kms, so possibly still on oem belt and rollers, 24k is the interval for belt, but at 14yrs old the belt is well past is usable life and rollers are worth looking at for wear/flat spots, etc. A worn belt (thinner) or rollers, will cause the rear pulley to spin slower, thus clutch will disengage sooner, the normal belt wear limit is just 1mm (25.1 to 24.1)

· Registered
AN400 K8
115 Posts
My K8 also had some problems with too many revs before engaging and disengaging, I don't remember the figures, but it was not nice to ride in dense traffic. One of the things that I did to the transmission was to buy a Dr Pulley clutch. The clutch comes with two springs per shoe and a large number of colour coded springs which you can fit to customise the way the clutch works. Mine was a great improvement straight out of the box and I have never felt the need to change the factory settings.
Because there is less clutch slip, the transmission runs cooler and, after all, the engine is a 400 with torque, not a revvy 125.

· Registered
1,910 Posts
Just for reference - from an old thread.

They don't seem to mind the revs.
"Lugging" is not their style. 5000rpm and up is the happy band.

(YMMV)

(Edited typo)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts