Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here ever used Posi-Taps connectors on a 650 flashers and brake lights wires ?

If so, what gauge wires are they ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I Use them on my 400 and there much Better then those Cheap Taps that you find at Auto Stores, Those things are no good, i had to remove a gang of them it seems after awhile the contacts seems to loose Connection, But the Posi-Taps connectors are very good on staying connected and keeping Power Flow!! and very easy to install, Those Auto store ones are a hassle to install , the Posi-Taps connectors are Quick and Simple...and install them in seconds and need no tools, With the auto store one,s takes minutes and you need tools. :thumbup:

Elliott,

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
Almost all the wire gauge on bikes is 18 Ga. Even the headlight wires. ?????? :roll: They make water tight Posi-Taps and they are a bit harder to use but still easy. But they do not have terminal tips, just butt splice connectors.

I see so many "Scotch Loc's" used on stranded wire. I work in the telecommunications field and have loose Scotch Loc's in my jacket pocket at all times, but you will not see me use them on stranded wire. They are for solid core wire ONLY!

Auto store Crimp terminals are a quick fix and work well IF they are crimped correctly and kept DRY. 90% of all crimp tools are trash. Very light gauge metal and not enough leverage to do a tight crimp unless you have about a 140+pound grip. And the plastic also distorts and wastes some of the crush in the crimp. Its better to use uninsulated crimp terminals but slide a small piece of heat-shrink tube over first, do the crimp and then cover with the heat-shrink.

·
Registered
182 Posts
voyageur5 said:
Has anybody here ever used Posi-Taps connectors on a 650 flashers and brake lights wires ?

If so, what gauge wires are they ?

Thanks
I ordered some 16-18 gauge Posi-Taps from Crutchfield's (hoping to get them soon!). They had the cheapest price that I could find on the 'net and think that they had free shipping. I have used the Posi-Locks w/ good success and just ordered some "Posi-Twist Connectors" off of Ebay. I've never used these before - you twist the 2 wires together and then insert into the barrel of the Posi-Twist and then tighten it up (no metal contact inside like on the Posi-Lock). Got 90 of these w/ free shipping for $16.14 w/ a "free gift" of 2 Posi-Fuses's.
The only place that I've found local that sells these is NAPA parts store and they are expensive to buy there.
I usually use heat-shrink tubing over the connector after the wiring is done - don't know if it adds any benefit but looks neater. Will be using the Posi-Taps to wire a 5 to 4 wire converter harness into the rear turn/stop/running lights of the Burgman for the trailer.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
ucwinters said:
I ordered some 16-18 gauge Posi-Taps from Crutchfield's (hoping to get them soon!). They had the cheapest price that I could find on the 'net and think that they had free shipping. I have used the Posi-Locks w/ good success<<<SNIP>>>
I will have to look at Crutchfield's. Have a whole house with tons of stuff from Mr Bill. :)

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
model28a said:
That's cheaper than Crutchfield even with shipping and my sales tax added.

Crutchfield wants $8.99 for 6 and free shipping so its $1.50 each.
Amazon wants $19.53 for 20 plus $6.99 shipping, its $1.33 each but add 8.5% sales tax and its $1.44 each.

Good find.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Can someone show a good pic of a Posi-Tap Connector...???????? :?:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Google probably has some good pictures :wink:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
NormanB said:
Google probably has some good pictures :wink:
Thanks.........I will Google it

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
How about this. These are Posi-Taps.

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
V8, the big end you take apart and slide the cap over the wire you want to tap into and then twist the base on finger tight, then unscrew the small end cap, put the wire that is extending into it re-screw it into the base and it squeezes the wire tight.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hear is how they work. :thumbup:

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I Googled Posi-Taps and found that I had been already using them - just didnt know the name...!!!!!! DUH!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I think that we all now know what Posi-Taps are and what they look like. Thanks to all..... :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I Found these at Home De-pot Any one tried them Yet?

you get 10, and cost $2.00

and there are 3-Port one's as well. and there Made in the U.S.A

Elliott,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts