Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

What other interests (besides Burgmans) do we share

3K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  tat-2 
#1 ·
I thought it may be a little interesting to hear what other hobbies or interests we may share.
I for 1 consider myself an outdoor person. I love camping and usually spend about 35 nights a year camping. I also participate in a rather new outdoor activity called Geocaching. It involves the use of a GPS and is basically a technical treasure hunt. People hide geocaches (usually a tupperware container containing dollar store items) in the great outdoors and then post the coordinates on a common web site http://www.geocaching.com/ where others can download the coordinates and then seek out the treasure. It's not about the treasure but mostly about exploring new places that you've never been to and just being outdoors.
My other hobby when not doing the above is metal detecting. I own a White's Spectrum xlt and really do enjoy some personal quiet time just poking around parks and abandoned sites. Metal detecting usually goes well with camping.
So those are some of my other interests. What are yours?

#2 ·
What a cool idea! I would be interested in the cross-over hobbies of the Burgman owners! I have thought of metal detecting as I live on top of ancient Indian sights. What model would you consider a good idea for a beginner? As for me...lI love flying. Gliders and private. It is amazing how similar riding is to flying.

#3 ·
Those are great allwalk and the 'geocaching' sounds very interesting! Combining hi-tech with old fashion outdoors!

At this point, I'm 35 and still mostly busy with work and raising my kids, who are still young: 12, 7 and 5. We spend a lot of family time together just doing regular everyday stuff, including their sports (soccer, dancing etc) although once a year we pack up and go out of town somewhere.

My business (stock market) keeps me quite busy and the only real 'hobby' I have is riding - it's my only personal 'release.' Lately though I have taken an interest in researching family history. One thing that has kept me busy in my off hours is researching the sinking a ship off the coast of South Africa back in 1917: it hit a sea mine and sunk in 5 minutes. my grandfather was one of only two surviving passengers in the wreck. Although some crew members survived as well (they knew how to quickly dislodge the lifeboats), hundreds perished. It was a story that my grandfather told all of us and I'm putting together as much details to preserve the story for future generations. That research for information has been my other 'hobby' over the last few months, which I have gained some new friendships from overseas too.

#4 ·
I play the bassoon in a local wind band. For those unfamiliar with classical wind instruments: the bassoon is a large wood wind instrument. It has keys to make different tones. On the bassoon, the left thumb has to operate about 8 keys. Guess what my left thumb does on the AN 650....

#5 ·
Other interests

My other interests include:

- Anything on wheels (own a Miata, Bajaj Chetak, bicycles, roller blades, Razor ...)
- Camping (own a 17' Casita fiberglass travel trailer)
- Backpacking & hiking
- Folk/Blue grass music festivals
- Pets
- Last but not least ... hearty beer!

-Greg

#6 ·
santafedr said:
What a cool idea! I would be interested in the cross-over hobbies of the Burgman owners! I have thought of metal detecting as I live on top of ancient Indian sights. What model would you consider a good idea for a beginner? As for me...lI love flying. Gliders and private. It is amazing how similar riding is to flying.
There are quite a few brands out there that one could start with. have a look on ebay....search metal detector.
I've always wanted to fly myself. I went up for an introduction flight in a glider. I almost considered doing this after my go-kart racing career. I use to build and fly radio controlled aircraft and helicopters as well. I've also promised myself that one day I will learn hang gliding. Have you ever tired that and how is it?

#8 ·
Activities

You mean there is something to do besides scooting???

Seriously, with my enjoyable commitments to my own local maxiscooter club and having joined a motorcycle touring club, plus my wife and my on-our-own scooter touring adventures, I have little time in the warmer months for much of anything else in my free time.

Work of course has a nasty habit of getting in the way of having a good time, but we do squeeze in a camping trip or three each year. Up to this year it has always been tent camping, but for a week in June we're renting a pop-up trailer to give that a try.

#9 ·
Still considering getting the scooter to replace my motorcycle but I have had a private pilot's license since the late sixties. (Airplane single-engine land & gliders.) Can't pass a medical anymore because of diabetes but I can still fly gliders & ultra-lights. Problem there is the weight limits on most of the aircraft.

#11 ·
Interests

My other interests in order of importance.
1. Being around my beautiful 3 year old grandaughter as much as i possible can which for now is only once a week or so.
2. Doing things with my wife of over 40 years and still my best friend.
3,4,and 5 tie. Running 20-30 miles a week, riding Ingrid, playing golf.
6. Fishing
7. Reading. Currently on "The Dark Tower" series. A great saga not as good as "The Lord of the Rings" but close.
8. Hunting and target shooting.
9. Wathng sports on TV and then TV (some)
101. Work

#12 ·
Who has time for anything else...I dont.

Work 55-85 hrs per week.
I have a 2 1/2 yr old, 1 yr old, and another due in June.
My mom just moved in with us since she found out dad had a girlfriend.
Im the point of contact for tech support for 10 field reps around the world.

I do have a 2002 F-250 4x4 Diesel which I lifted and pretend to take off road.

Flashlights are my other other hobby. http://www.candlepowerforums.com

-Bryan

#13 ·
Greengoose said:
Who has time for anything else...I dont.

Work 55-85 hrs per week.
I have a 2 1/2 yr old, 1 yr old, and another due in June.

-Bryan
:oops: Apparently you had a little extra time on your hands :lol: :oops:

#14 ·
I read a lot, I especially like to read books re WW2. I love video games, so you'll see me playing a lot of those. I like to go to the YMCA three times a week to get some exercise, I like to write poetry (even though I'm such a hack), doing amateur digital photography and I enjoy going for walks - something that won't be replaced by a scooter, I must say that now. :wink:

#15 ·
Spare Time???

In what little spare time I have I like to go to karaoke shows. My wife and I are sadly addicted to small bars with "atmosphere" in which to pursue our hobby. When we lived in Sacramento we hosted a karaoke show on Saturday nights & always had a great time. Unfortunately we don't have a work schedule here in Tucson that will allow us to get a show here, but we have done the odd (and I do mean ODD!) party now and then, but we still get out to the local spots a couple of times a week. I guess the ultimate road trip would be scoot from karoake bar to karaoke bar in search of the ultimate sound system! :lol:

#16 ·
few hobbies.

Let's see....I have a 3 3/4 year old boy, a 2 1/2 year old girl, and a 11 month old girl. So before Allwalk sends a snide remark, I do obviously have one hobby - my kids. There is nothing better than to come home to a bunch of kids running (and crawling) towards you for a hug. Ah, if I could only train them to bring a cold beer at the same time, life would be perfect. So most of my time is spent playing with them, watching TV, and doing yardwork. On Jan. 9th, I started the Atkins diet when my waist size exceeded my age. I've lost 14 pounds (mostly around the waist) and feel great. Yes, it's a challenge sometimes but easy compared to other diets I think.

I also enjoy the rare mountain hike, although I find the "mountains" of Arizona boring compared to Montana (home state). When the kids get older we hope to camp out a bit. I also am blessed with a very awesome wife who lets me ride the Burgman and spend some solo time playing Playstation (after the dishes are done).

I do some woodworking, used to do stainglass work, and am a fairly good metalworker although it's been a while.

My latest fun has been to paint a mural on a large (40 foot long by 6 foot tall) section of our cement yard wall. It is a forest scene with a lake, kite, sun, etc...Lots of fun, and many people are shocked that I did it, freehand. We have a swingset in that part of the yard, and I plan to install low-voltage lights as well and a sliding glass door going out to it. Lastly, hope to install a "mist-er" system so that it'll stay cool in the summer. Lots of plans, little time.

My job keeps me traveling a lot, so I enjoy every minute I can ride my Burgman. Lastly, I enjoy reading and writing. Right now, I'm into the Clive Cussler books. I am trying to write a novel about my true-life experiences growing up on a cattle ranch in Montana - experiences that some people enjoy. I try to write one chapter each year. I'm at 3 chapters total so far, and it's much tougher than I thought.

I think that's all. Ride safe everyone.

#19 ·
Other Interests

I am an avid mystery reader. I enjoy Clive Cussler novels also. To Flint, the person originally from Montana: have you read the Montana Mystery series by Peter Bowen? I think there are now 12 books in the series - I read them all this Winter. The first book in the series is a bit less entertaining than the others, but I started somewhere in the middle of the series. I really enjoyed them, and I'm toying with the idea of taking a ride up through Montana this summer (I live in Nebraska).

#20 ·
cussler, etc.

A banner day!!! Allwalk is speechless! I can rest well tonight... :wink:

Let's see...On my bookshelf, already read, I have Atlantis found and Serpent. I'm in the middle of Cyclops and Pacific Vortez (an early one I think) I think i've read 1-2 others, but don't have them right in front of me. I like them all about the same. Some are a bit more unbelievable than others of course...!

Pauljo - thx for the note on Peter Bowen's books. I'll definitely check them out. If you do plan to go to MT, let me know. I definitely have a "must see" list of places. The obvious ones: Yellowstone and Glacier parks (I like Glacier 1000x more) and the less obvious: Chico Hot Springs. My dream roadtrip is up through the Tetons/Bryce Canyon, West entrance of Yellowstone, up along the continental divide to Glacier, and into Canada. Back through Washington/Oregon and down the PCH back to Arizona. Ah, someday...someday.

Really miss the clean air and mountains. But beware taking a ride up there. I've seen it snow in July, and I was not camping out at a very high elevation. I thought it was pollen til it melted in my hand...

My dad still lives on the family cattle ranch. It was a thriving operation until he retired a few years ago. My two brothers and one sister live within 60 miles but live their own lives. The years of it having cattle (and a few buffalo, bear, & mountain lion) everywhere are long gone. Homes are being built on all sides as well, so it doesn't seem nearly as remote as it was. I remember getting stuck in the snow and having to walk seven miles for help. Now I wouldn't have to walk a mile to get to a house. Sad how things change. It's outside of Billings, MT...a beautiful part of the "Yellowstone River Valley." A lot of western history in the area. A famous plateau that "Calamity Jane" used to keep stolen horses is on the edge of our property. A huge ring of stones indicates a large group of Native Americans camped out on our land when they were headed North most likely to Canada...

Ah, I could go on and on...fun stuff. Starting to sound like my Dad...! :D

#21 ·
Howdy

Great reading on everyone's outside interests. We've got a diverse group of folks here.

I'm a computer network manager for a CPA firm. I'm Tennessean through and through which means plenty of football; Vols and Titans. I try to attend as many games as possible every Fall.

I'm an avid guitarist and have played in several bands over the past 15 years or so, even recorded a CD in 97. I also play saxophone, some mandolin and harmonica.

I've got a 2 year old son who was born with a heart defect. He had open heart surgery at 4 months old and is doing great. My wife and I started a non-profit to help other kids with heart defects. You can check it out if interested at http://www.savinglittlehearts.com

We send kids to a summer heart camp in Tennessee and also provide surgery care packages for the kids at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.

Don't get much time to read or play video games anymore, but I enjoy both.

#22 ·
Interests Other Than Burgmans

Hi,

I found it facinating that all those people use computers to access the web and read and reply to questions on this web site, and not one of them said their interest was computers. :?:

For me my first love is computers, after more than 40 years in IT. Now that I'm retired, I still use my computer for programming in a small way and for many other things. It manages my money; keeps my appointments; stores things I may need later but don't want to try to remember; creates CDs for my car; let's me know the weather conditions for hundreds of miles around me; is my photo album, my encyclopedia, my newspaper, my contact with far off friends and relatives and all it needs is an occational application of the right utilities to keep it running prpoerly. Even most of those it does by itself overnight; backups, virus scans, defrags are all scheduled overnight so they don't introfere with my use of the computer. :D

I am also an inveterate reader who reads Hard Science Fiction, High Tech Thrillers, computer literature, science magazines, and yachting magazines. :shock: There are more than 60,000 books in my library. I take about 12 monthly magazines covering everything from consummer dinformation to yachting.

I was also a sailor for more than 25 years with three sail boats and a 30' power boat. 8)

I also spend time helping people with their computer problems, sometimes for pay, but more often than not gratus.

All in all you can tell I'm enjoying my retirement :wink: .

#23 ·
Re: Interests Other Than Burgmans

Richard said:
I found it facinating that all those people use computers to access the web and read and reply to questions on this web site, and not one of them said their interest was computers. :?:
I was a PC hobbiest once. Had a 286, then a 386, then a 486, then a pentium 90. Loved DOS, knew every file on my machine. Was into BBSs before the internet. Paid $800.00 once for a 80 meg hard drive for my 286 - the original 40 meg was just too confining. :p

I still spend many hours a week on my PC. I use it for all the things you mentioned, and I'd hate to do without it, but it's just a tool now.

I also retired from an IT career (only 28 years - early retirement). Sadly, it got to be a lot more about politics, credit management, who's to blame, butt covering, budgets, status reports, endless meetings, HR programs, etc. - than about computer technology and getting the job done right. I sure don't miss it. And, I must say, it seriously interfered with my riding time :wink:

#26 ·
I restore and collect pinball machines, woodwork, MAME cabinets, just started in the geocache hobby -still learning the GPS. Camping (great when combined with scooters or motorcycles).
and work 40+ hrs a week, movie/dinner each week with my nephews.
target shooting, hunting (also know as hiking with an extra 20# on) and occasionally ski.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.